Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Singer 221 Featherweight

Singer 221 Featherweight

I have been bidding, and NOT winning, on a number of Singer Featherweights on Ebay recently. Not unusual, I know. But I have noticed that the same bidder is winning all the time. This same person, you can tell because they get the same i***i (957) on every winning bid, has been buying up almost all the featherweights out there. Anyone know what is going on? Anyone know of a better way to find a featherweight since Ebay is now not an option?

Look for ones that are mislabeled... my 221 was listed as "vintage ornate portable sewing machine" . The guy had no idea what it was.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I have a FW, but if I didn't, I certainly would not be paying the prices on e-bay. I get the feeling that there is an effort afoot to inflate the prices. I would not pay $300 and up for a FW. JMHO! Try Craigslist, check the Goodwill Store in your area (if there is one) and I think I would even check Amazon.com.

Jeanette

I went through and looked at several completed auctions for the last week or so. They certainly did bid on quite a few.
    I did notice that they seem to stop bidding around $185.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I went to a LQS and made mention that a friend of mine got a FW w/attachments at a garage sale for $8.00. One of the gals who does the repairs and maintenance said she was offered $900.00 and she turned it down. JMHO but will not pay that for FW. Is something that I would love to have but others uses for $900.00. I may pay up to $200.00 but not 900.

I got mine at a local auction for 150.00. No bobbin case, but did have carry case. It's also in great shape. I saw one on craigslist the other day for 800.00. Ridiculous.

I got the FW for my wife from shopgoodwill.com for around $280.00 and that included shipping. This was a less than mint machine, but in good cosmetic and mechanical condition with a good case, lots of bobbins, accessories, the manual and other goodies.

The bidder bidding on all the FWs on eBay is probably a dealer with deep pockets. Or if he's bidding on the same sellers adds he could be a shill. Bidding just to raise the prices up. I wouldn't bid on those auctions.

There were millions of FWs made from the 1930s to the 1960s. Most of the prices are way too high for what you are getting.

JMHO

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

I have a few FWs. I've found most of mine at estate sales. I bought one at an auction. I bid on one just last Saturday at an auction but the other bidder got it for $230. There were lots of them made so they will continue to come up for sale.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

I have no idea where to find a great deal but there's a shop about 40 min away that deals with antique sewing machines and has several fw's - think hers start around $350 and centennials are more.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have been looking at estate sales but have not been lucky enough to find one yet. I will keep hunting!!!!

Blog Entries
    Go for a Singer 99 or a Spartan - nice machines, too. Much cheaper.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Folks, I have to agree with you (Joe). The $750-$1,200 FW prices are absolutely too high! I have one, courtesy of my son (a real bargain at $50.00). but I would never pay that much. The FWs are great for piecing quilt blocks, but I've been sewing on a Singer 403A doing some Table Runners. I love the 403A. The stitching is gorgeous! Another gift from my son! JMHO, but that's way too much money to spend for a FW! Again, JMHO!
    Jeanette

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Go for a Singer 99 or a Spartan - nice machines, too. Much cheaper.
    Or a 201. Much cheaper than a FW and very plentiful. They'll also stitch through anything. However none of these machines have a vertical bobbin like the fw has, and won't do free motion all that well, but boy that straight stitch is awesome.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    Or a 201. Much cheaper than a FW and very plentiful. They'll also stitch through anything. However none of these machines have a vertical bobbin like the fw has, and won't do free motion all that well, but boy that straight stitch is awesome.
    The 201 is a fabulous machine it just isn't 3/4 or 1/2 size so isn't quite so cute.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Look on sewitsforsale.

I bought mine from a person on craigslist that had it listed as a "Singer portable". It took me 9 months to find it and I drove 2 hours to get it. I spent less than $100 on it but I don't honestly use it too much.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

I can see people asking $750 - $1200 for the 222K machines, but not for a 221. At a glance, they can be mistaken for each other... is there a chance that some of the ones people are seeing for the really high prices are 222s?

That said - in Canada - the 222Ks seem to be coming down as well. I know of several that have sold for under $300 including the one I bought about 2 years ago now.

If you were going to make a living out of stripping and repainting FWs then selling them for $1100+, you probably are in the habit of buying well accessoried units from whatever source works reliably. Wanna hazard a guess where they are getting em? I never paid more than $100 for the 5 that I've purchased.

so if you look at it another way, if you paid hi dollar for a pink, purple or whatever, you're helping inflate the market, which can be good or bad.
    Last edited by oldsewnsew; 08-26-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Just keep doing what DH and I did, and found a FW at an antique flea market type store--paid too much for it though (he is the one with the deep pockets and was tired of looking, I guess--he paid $275 for one that was in perfect condition); and it is the one that I am using for all my quilt piecing--even though I have three other black ones, and a white one. I guess it just makes a difference who gave it to me.

I read entries on this board of persons who have paid as little as $10 for one, and as much as $500. If you want to just keep looking for a FW, while you are looking, if you run across a 301, a Spartan, a 99k (heavy), or a 201 (I have one of these in a cabinet that is top of my world WONDERFUL, or as others have said a 403. I don't have one of those, so maybe that will become my next search option .

Anyway, good luck, I hope you find one soon that is just the price that you want to pay. Keep us posted.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I overheard a conversation at a local quilt store between a customer and the owner who was doing as an owner should, i guess, and pressing the woman to buy a FW from him for $700 or a lesser model for $500. I really wanted to run up to her and whisper in her ear that with a little patience and some searching she would do WAYYYYY better than that. I did.

Interesting, I have one that I tried to sell at our garage sale this year....not one bite.....so it still sits in its case in the corner...not my cuppa tea

Quote Originally Posted by WvHmmngbrd View Post
    I have been bidding, and NOT winning, on a number of Singer Featherweights on Ebay recently. Not unusual, I know. But I have noticed that the same bidder is winning all the time. This same person, you can tell because they get the same i***i (957) on every winning bid, has been buying up almost all the featherweights out there. Anyone know what is going on? Anyone know of a better way to find a featherweight since Ebay is now not an option?
    Hi, I have never posted on this site , and I am not sure if it is corrupted or not because it acts like it might be....
    at any rate I have a couple of featherweights that I am willing to part with. Having said that, I got my first
    featherweight on Ebay , and I agree about it just not being an option. I live on the west coast, and I find the
    that the interest in the featherweight has softened. If you really are set on getting a featherweight though, just
    keep looking , searcing sites like craigslist and your local thrift, antique stores, quilting groups etc. I would have
    to charge way to much for shipping to send you one of mine , because I live in Canada. Anyway you do want to
    actually sit down and sew on an antique machine, and carefully inspect the wiring etc.

I bought both my FW's and my 301 on local Craig's list.
    All three in mint condition with all the attachments and all work like charms.
    The prices were within the general asking price of other with the exception of the 301, I payed more but am really happy because it is in such good condition including the case!

Where did you find a bobbin casw for your FW? Is it an original part? I hear the generic ones will not work on the 221

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast