Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 500 keeps unthreading itself >

Singer 500 keeps unthreading itself

Singer 500 keeps unthreading itself

Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Maurie and Singer guy, thank you. I did change the needle 4 times. I was using Singer needles and the last change was to a Schmetz 90. So far, so good, but I have yet to give it a thorough test (jury duty). I did check the place where the needle goes with a mirror, as I often do since I use so many machines and it's too much to remember, and so am pretty sure the needle is in correctly.

Joe, that's a great idea. I never heard of that before but it is worth a try.

I may be able to do further testing tonight and I'll let you all know. Thanks for the help!

Cricket
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Roll your finger around the edge of the actual bobbin. I have one that has a "knick" on it and catches the thread and breaks it. Had to learn to fill the bobbin so that side is down when I put it in the machine.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I did check the place where the needle goes with a mirror, as I often do since I use so many machines and it's too much to remember, and so am pretty sure the needle is in correctly.

Cricket
that happened to me just now. i'm done working rehabbing my singer 28 hand crank and tried sewing but for some reason the top thread is not catching up the bobbin thread. i check the tension assembly and sewed so many times and my top thread breaks all the time. check the VS bobbin tension and cleaned it. tried it again and thread breaks. finally i checked the needle orientation - and it's on the wrong side. now it's working but i still need to work on the tension as the stitches not good.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-06-12-2.35.52-pm.png  
Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
Roll your finger around the edge of the actual bobbin. I have one that has a "knick" on it and catches the thread and breaks it. Had to learn to fill the bobbin so that side is down when I put it in the machine.
ArizonaKAT, umm, why not just replace the damaged bobbin? I don't think I could tolerate such a bobbin.

Joe
Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Hi Tammi. Your theory sounds good to me, so I went over every bit of the entire thread path. I found one slightly rough area after the tension, but not on the exact tread path.

The seam does not pucker.

I would have tried switching parts with the 401, but at this moment, it doesn't seem necessary. I've sewed three long, very fast seams with no problems so far, but have not yet tried it on a quilt. The difference is that I followed Joe's instructions and measured and adjusted the part that holds the bobbin in, and I used a Schmetz 90 needle. Oh, I also flossed the tension thoroughly. I did catch some shredding there. I haven't done anything about that (crocus cloth) yet because of the three good seams. My philosophy is that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Thanks, Joe. I did check and adjust all 4 specs together. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Good idea on setting gaps in the middle. I'll remember that and do it next time.

Maybe I am pulling the fabric. It is hard to handle a quilt in the space of just the cabinet. I don't have any other tables upstairs to support quilts nor room for them. I do have them downstairs but I also have knee issues and stairs are not doable right now. I'm guessing it isn't out of timing because the stitch remains perfect. Would you agree? Also, I see no needle marks or indications of timing problems. Unless you know something I don't? If so, do tell, please.

I will try to quilt my quilt and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cricket
Hey Cricket! How's Jury Duty going? Have you had a chance to sew with the machine?

The reason I asked about the seam puckering when the thread breaks is I thought that maybe if one or the other puckered, it might let us know if it was being hung up. Oh well.

So you haven't disassembled this machine's tensioner? Only flossed it? You may find you like the end result better if you disassemble and clean. I do every one of them now as the first order of business.

I don't suspect timing, no. There's a series of articles on my blog about timing. It covers most things - not raising the needlebar but otherwise pretty much all you'd ever need to know.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
ArizonaKAT, umm, why not just replace the damaged bobbin? I don't think I could tolerate such a bobbin.

Joe
I'm with you Joe, that bobbin would have hit the bin so fast...