Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Some of my machines are getting a Time Out today >

Some of my machines are getting a Time Out today

Some of my machines are getting a Time Out today

Old 11-02-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I would love to live somewhere out of the way. Somewhere where I didn't have to either see or hear my neighbors. 5 acres of brush and trees with the house in the middle would be about right.
Love the porch.
I live on a shy 5 acres that was surrounded by fir trees. Then the plot east of us logged off and 5 houses planted on it. The 10 acre plot west of us is in the process of being logged. If I had my druthers and money, I would buy 100 acres and plant myself in the middle. Chickens on the porch, though I have a large deck, yep here too as I let mine free range on the lawn and they like to visit. All I have to do is get the hose out to spray off the chicken droppings.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I would love to live somewhere out of the way. Somewhere where I didn't have to either see or hear my neighbors. 5 acres of brush and trees with the house in the middle would be about right.
Love the porch. I've never lived in a house with a truly nice porch. They've all been houses built at times when a porch wasn't considered a necessity, just a couple steps up to the door and enough room to stand while you open it. A back deck or patio is nice but not the same.
Nice of you to bring your machines out so they could relax on the porch.
Rodney
Rodney, we live on 2 acres which are mostly wooded and which provide winter protection and food for the many deer, raccoons, groundhogs, etc that roam in the area. However, we don't have a front porch but we do enjoy sitting out on the driveway or around the firepit where it is so quiet and peaceful.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 AM

They all did make it back in before I went to bed.

Now they get to keep the new girl company.

I'm still working on getting everything set up . . .

So if any of you want to come visit my "Machine Shed" and see all the old machines, you can also try your hand on a long arm.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 AM

And speaking of porches - this room started out as the front porch. My home is a series of additions. The original home was a claim shack built around 1885 (think Little House on the Prairie - Desmet is just north of us). It was 9x12 and that was the WHOLE house.

Around 1900 there was a wedding, and the new couple moved a larger "shack" onto the property and joined the two in a T. That one is even older - (square nails) and is 20 *14.

Around 1920 the two story addition was added, and the front was extended for a porch (current quilting room).

At one point plumbing was added - a cellar was dug under one corner of the original home and plumbing was added to that end of the house. It was only accessible from the outside (not fun when your pipes freeze in the winter) This area didn't get electricity until late 30's to 40's, so that was added too. So no knob and tube wiring here - it was more "Modern" wiring from the start.

At some point the front porch was enclosed for a den, and another porch was added to the south side. Then at some point the second porch was enclosed to make a laundry/mud room.

We bought the place and completely gutted it - rebuilding rotted walls and floors (joists and all) including having to jack up the 2 story section to rebuild what has rotted and crumbled away. We added an addition on the west end with a full basement under it. We changed some walls, moved every singe doorway and window inside and out, 100% new plumbing including a new septic system, all new electrical including trenching in the overhead lines from the pole.

The current deck we added by extending the "porch" overhang another foot and extending that across the front of the two story section. We wanted it to have an "old farmhouse" look, which is did not when we bought it.

And DH and I did everything except digging out the hole for the basement and trenching in the main power line. So when I say building the shed is an easy project, it really is.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Wow, you two sound like such interesting folks, and all around talented and gifted in construction! Is that what your husband does for a living?

I loved reading the history of your home, and it seems unusual that you are able to know all that. How much square footage did you end up with after all those additions and what you added? I can not easily imagine living in a 9x12 house! They certainly had less "need" for stuff back then. A much simpler, but also much harder, life. Imagine the ladies from back then with just one of your treadle or hand crank machines!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 AM

I love your story, Cathy; but from having lived in ND for three years (DH's AF assignment at Minot), I will pass on the home renovations up north. We have done that to an old farmhouse (shipped in on railroad to be constructed like a toy from the youth of my children type of thing--Lincoln Logs?) since we moved here in 1996. Almost 2000 sqft, with huge rooms and not very much smart space--two bedrooms, one bath that we added in 1996, closets in the front rooms that we added in 1997 or so--those kinds of things (all of which we recruited the help of kids and DIY); lots of "what were they thinking" when the next person remodels. But we love it, and it works for us. My whole family to a person cannot believe that I live in an old timey farmhouse way out in the country here; remembering the 4 BR, 2 Bath brick homes from our AF years.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM

I really enjoyed reading about the history of your house. I admire the almost pioneer spirit of people making a life for themselves in remote areas, designing and building together. Plus the value you're adding not only to your lives but to your property is demonstrable. Kudos!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:27 AM

It's a fitting place for vintage machines - and after this weekend I'll have a machine here that is older than my house! Though I have had one or two here temporarily that were older. The Politype for one, and maybe the Davis Low arm, but I don't know how old that one was.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:39 PM

That snow and thermometer was enough to do me in. Way too far on the wrong side of 0 for me. Very nice house and your hard work shows. You're right. After a renovation like yours the shed would seem easy.
Very nice setup on the long arm. Let us know when you've had a chance to play with her.
Rodney
Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 PM
KLO

After seeing your snow photos, I am thinking you should have painted your house some color other than white so you could find it in a snowstorm! ; ) If you are way out in the boonies, where do you work and how long does it take you to get there? That is my only reason for not being "way out"; otherwise, it is nice to look out your windows and see only what belongs to you. Good to see that you got the machines back out of time out. Cannot wait to see what you do with the new set up.