Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight? >

Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight?

Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 PM

I recently completed my first pieced quilt -- a log cabin. I used my FW (white, not celery) for piecing, and my 403-A for assembling the blocks (after I got two or three blocks together, they got to be too heavy), and quilted the quilt on my 201-2 (SITD). I would not sell either one of the three of these machines for any price. My machines are used pretty frequently, perhaps not every day, but quilting is my hobby, not a business for me. I sent my youngest sister an email with photo of my log cabin quilt -- now I have another one to make just like the one I just completed, except bigger. I have begun assembling the materials for her quilt! Fun!

Love all my machines. They're all great to work on.

Jeanette
Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I just have to tell you and most of you will probably laugh, but I sew all of my piecing on a 1949 Singer Featherweight. I love how easy it is to work on it and it has a straight stitch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554784[/ATTACH]

I guess I am just partial to the older machines. My LA that my DH built for me uses a 1916 Singer Model 66 machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554785[/ATTACH]
Not fancy but doable (?) for me.
Attached Thumbnails 1955-singer-featherweight.jpg   little-gracie-right-front.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Love the long arm twinkie! Way to go. Your DH did an awesome job. And yes with all the machines living at my house I most frequently bypass all of them and piece on my Feather Weight also.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 AM

I kind of feel like you do. I got myself a Singer 99k which is a 3/4 size machine and kind of wish I hadn't. I do sew on it once in a while but prefer my Janome Professional 6600 with the bells & whistles. The old Singer does look "pretty" sitting in my sewing room.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM

I use my fancy modern machine for most things, but for piecing quilt squares that beautiful Featherweight seam can't be beat!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 AM

I would keep it. I have a Featherweight and a 301A, and find that it is much easier to make a straight seam line with these machines. I use my Featherweight in the Living Room and keep my Bernina in the Sewing Room. Since most quilting is straight line sewing, these are the best machines.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM
mac

My suggestion is to keep it; I can't tell you how many times that I have finally decided to let something go only to find out that I needed it or wished that I had not gotten rid of it. Regret is really annoying.

It doesn't take up much room; but don't put it in the garage or any place that would really hot or really cold. Put it in your closet in the corner.

I have a Bernina 1530 that I used to sling around with no trouble, brought it to classes and to weekly sewing. I've had it probably about 25+ years. However, now that I am 65 and getting arthritis I find that I use my Featherweight to take to weekly sewing classes, quilting classes, on retreats and on vacation. The FW does wonderful straight sewing and you can't beat the stitch quality.

The Bernina now stays home in a cabinet that I use when I am home. I do love all the things it can do, but cannot schlep it around like I used to. Thank goodness for the Featherweight.

I would certainly reconsider getting rid of it.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Aww keep it, if just to decorate your sewing room. I have two ,I love them, but also have a newer Janome that I love too.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 AM

I use mine in our camp trailer!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 AM

Do you love it? It sounds like you don't. And that's okay; Featherweights are cute, but they aren't for everyone. If you don't enjoy it, sell it... there are plenty of people out there that would be happy to take it in.

They aren't likely to go up much in value, so holding onto it in hopes that it will appreciate isn't worthwhile. Keeping it for your kids or grandkids seems weird to me... if they're into sewing, I think they would more likely want the machine you loved than the one that sat unused in the storage room.

You're also young enough that having a really light machine to take to classes, etc. might not be a necessity for a decade or two, and frankly, you will probably like the bells and whistles of a modern machine even more by then.

None of the reasons you give, or that anyone else in this thread have given, seem to me like good arguments for keeping a machine that you aren't crazy about. Sell it and get back the money you spent on it... you might even make a bit of a profit. Then if you want a light machine, you can get a new one with the modern features you like.

Or if a grandkid wants to learn to sew, you can teach them, then see what they want for a machine. A new Janome Jem might fit the bill for them better, at about the same price. Or if they're into vintage, they might prefer something bigger like a 15 or a 201.

It's just an object. If you want to keep it because you like it, then keep it, but don't fabricate reasons for keeping something you don't want or use. Don't clutter up your life with a machine that doesn't suit you... set it free, and let some other FW lover enjoy it!

(full disclosure: I have a FW and love it, but I also like my modern machine with throat space, and needle up/down, and all the other nifty features of new machines. I would get rid of the Featherweight if I didn't use it regularly, because I don't believe in hanging onto things that aren't making my life better.)