Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions >

Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions

Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions

Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM

Just one thought since you seem to not be sure of all the machines you have.

Are you SURE that rusty New Home is the same New Home that you brought home Ok?

Because if it is not and this one just came to you rusty then a lot of the stress and worry about not keeping the machines well goes away.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:09 PM

I would say to take a look now at the other machines you have and see if they are still in good condition or if they are getting rusted too. Then you know if you need be concerned wit that or not and can plan accordingly.

I don't keep back up machines for parts. I strip parts off and get rid of the body. I just don't have the room to store a bunch of parts machines.

For me, if I didn't work on them or have the time to work on them I would have far less. I would choose some I love to sew on and a few I love for my collection but the rest would be pretty overwhelming. I don't personally stress about the number of machines I have that I have worked on and are in good condition. Even if they sit awhile and need an oiling, that's really all they need and they don't stress me out. If they did I would find homes for them.

The ones that can stress me out are the ones I havn't had time to work on yet. If that's the condition most of yours are in and you have no time to work on them, I would probably re-home them.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:43 PM

most are mine are in decent shape- a few need electrical wiring for sure and so far the one treadle machine(new home) is the worst condition- just afraid the others will get like that and I dont' understand how it got that way - the others that have been out of cases are dusty but otherwise not damaged.

so..sitting unused inside the house will only cause them to need some dusting/oiling? if so I may just do a little mini-thinning of ones people are wanting and I have extras of and focus on new stuff I like and not deal with keeping parts, etc. I really need to go through them all - just haven't had time- and see what all is there. pretty sure there are a 3 or so stylists/touchnsews or whatever and I know I gave up on one of those the one time I attempted to sew with it -t he stithces were awful and Id idn't have time to fiddle around with it and went to the next machine.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
Great answers Debbi and Rodney. I to have too many machines and think about letting a few go. I like the idea of letting others enjoy them. But which ones!!!
When it became apparent that I had to thin the herd for my cross country move I put my favorite 8 to the side and between my son-brother and myself we made sure the other ones all worked and I put the word out to friends and Craigslist. I sold 22 in cases-15 in cabinets and 9 heads. They all went to loving homes. I have started a new collection but I mainly fix them up and give them to young kids who want to learn how to sew. They come to me by way of our Free Store where I help out so I pass them on instead of them ending up as scrap metal.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:55 AM

We all have to know when to "let go"....sounds like you are now at that threshold....I do not collect sewing machines, but do have small collections of other "things", so I understand that fine line between collecting and hoarding.....time to reevaluate your life/situation. Don't whine, just do it...it is a freeing moment!!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:53 AM

I've worked for that sort of employer. They're not going to change their policies/ behaviors unless forced into it. Right now they're making more money making people work ridiculous hours than they would if they hired enough employees to do the job properly. Sure they may have to pay overtime, but they're only paying 1 set of benefits.
Management gets bonuses based on profits or money saved. Less employees is an easy way to save money.
You can see what sort of legal protection employees have in your state or possibly get a union involved. Sometimes just the threat of a union will make employers back down. Every year the company I worked for would put on a big show of how much they cared about their workers just so they wouldn't talk to a union. They didn't want it to go to a vote.
Rules are different for salaried employees. That's what I was and there was basically no protection in this state for salaried employees.
Rodney
Old 06-24-2015, 12:45 PM

exactly Rodney- I'm stuck in limbo- salaried non-exempt which means I fall in the cracks- we did have a union vote and unfortunately it didnt pass and also unfortunately they wouldn't let us join because we're paid a salary plus overtime (which at least means we're paid for being worked like slaves) attitudes are really bad and we're all tired and stressed and as you said, its' even worse when the company prances around putting on a show how much they care and making you thank them for caring when they really don't. and they dont pay well enough for being on call or for working this kind of shift. Texas is a 'right to work' state - dont like it there's the door/gate whatever..sigh...

I'm looking and preparing myself but right now I really see now way out- not and keep medical. I could probably work down the street at walgreens or next door at the grocery store and pay my necessities - but probably not have medical or job security and I'm already dealing with pre-existing and have cancer in the family. since Christmas I've been trying to focus on other things- church, health, exercise, eating better, quilting/sewing machines, reading, and mostly -at least lately- getting my house in order finally- got some help with this and really really needed it. they've done great and now I'm to the point of 'what should go' and 'what else should come in' and since vintage/antique machiens are my latest and greatest I need to work on those I think.

anyways - I think the herd needs at least slowing down because knowing the machines are there and in multiples and some not working and most not knowing if they're working - and knowing others I already want to get ...just thinking some of the multiples could/should go towards trades towards machines i DO want or service on ones I already have and want to use. or sell to the 2 friends who have already bugged me over and over about a 301...so long as they're not all gonna start rusting or going to ruin on me like the poor new home treadle...I'm sure it wasn't mint but gosh I didnt expect it to look like this -and where did the belt go?! do they just disappear?! I know that sucker had a belt on it because i was using it before I bought it! the singer's belt came off and it's still there - that's the one I'm most likely to sew with. thought I could open up the new home and just admire it but unfortunatley I need a bit more space - it's one that comes up when you raise the lid and goes down when you try to close the lid or prop it up against the machine..such a cool idea (and no I don't trust it going up or down without my had there - I remember her warning me about that and not letting it slam..) but I put it where I can see it but still have a bookshelf in the way of leaving it open. i want the window spot for the 401 that's already there in a desk (may switch to a 500) and the singer treadle (or another that comes my way that's likely to be used) think a redeye would be better but mine is electric and beyond me right now to figure out converting or if I even want to convert that partiular one
Old 06-25-2015, 07:40 PM

There are lots of lovers of vintage machines in the Houston area, put them on Craigslist.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 PM

I need to find a local group here to hang with. would probably be helpful LOL! I think my quilting friends are interested in the 301s if I decide to re-home some (I seem to have several of those) but not all are in good cosmetic shape and don't know about how they work yet. I was doing a mental list of what I really don't 'need' or want and just don't think any are popular except the 301s..I'm happy with 3 featherweights and at least one of each color 301 with a longbed in the bunch... I think the main repeats (so long as nothing is gonna go bad sitting in a closet like I was afraid would happen) are a not-so-great-and-missing-slide-plate redeye (have another in much better shape)...a duplicate 99 with a bent thread spool pin(my mom had one identical), 66s with I think the same decals as another I have and the wiring looks a little weird -maybe because it's mounted in the cabinet..328k and a couple of either stylist or touch and sews that were later guess my mom found them cheap somewhere - oh and I think some rockateers and 401/403 - just need to check which are 500/503 and 401/403 and decide if I want to trade any of these for other stuff at that shop.

I feel a bit calmer -and appreciate all the advice and empathy and sympathy. just really scared me at the thought of everything getting rusty or freezing up or sitting around making me look like a hoarder or not being able to ever pass up a machine. unfortunately for me I'm still looking but at least I'm admiring.

either later this saturday or the following saturday I get to pick up my pink atlas (it's already bought was just getting the fix er up treatment at the shop) so I know that one will be ready to use :-) put a 1/4 inch foot and hopefully it won't be left-homing (just thought of that uh oh) but if it is then I'll deal - want to make aprons an string quilts it won't matter also gonna look at the handcrank she's holding for me to look over and hopefully that will be an easy decision - the price is right at my take it or leave it point - don't want to sink money in bad decals - and from the pics this one might go either way though I don't expect something 90 yrs old to look pristine. hopefully nothing tempting in the way!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 AM

Susanna, It's sounds like to me like thinning the herd and more about refining your collection. You sound ready to let go of duplicates and machines that are in less than desirable condition. That makes good sense to me. If you don't have time to work on them then focusing more on machines that work is good. Only you can decide about the 301's. I think you have a good plan in place to keep one of each color and a long bed in the bunch. Don't be pressured to let the others go or you may hold resentment. I'm sure if you wish to re-home them your friends would be most grateful to receive one.