Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions >

Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions

Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions

Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Christy - yes and it's been a long time coming to this. I don't expect i'll be able to make my way around to sewing on every machine but I want to focus on what works or make it work (which translates to if I can't figure it out in 5 min or less then off to the shop it goes ) and start looking for opportunities to thin out what I have more than 1 (or enough!) of and focus on what I want - unfortunately I can't seem to focus on 1 area but I want stuff that brings me pleasure not feel like I'm a hoarder waiting for the day to come when I can suddenly become great at fixing stuff. maybe that day will come but time-wise I dont have time for all I want to do or wish I could do so I need to focus.

tomorrow I add to the herd I hope to wak up after this night shift and run up to the other side of town and get my pink Atlas that's ready to go - paid for this one to be re-wired and spruced up so she sews and will be ready to go. also gonna look at a handcrank she's holding for me. not sure on the decals but hopefully I"ll be sure with my decision when I see her then I think I will be done on handcranks unless a bargain comes along (the one I already have and this one aren't what I call bargains but not bad considering they've been serviced and work and look pretty - at least the one I have now has nice decals..this other one has some rubbed off)

but I hope when I'm off after next week that I can actually sit down and sew on some I already have and enjoy them no fun having everything closed up in cabinets or stuck in closets.

andyou're right about being pressured- I was getting a lot of pressure in having too many and friends being critical of my purchases. took some of the pleasure away as well as the finance coach getting kinda lecture-y like the money could be better spent elsewhere..sigh...she freaked because in 2-3 months I had bought 5 machine...but I pointed out the last machine as like last October or November..sheesh not like a weekly addiction...
Old 06-27-2015, 04:08 AM

Default Thinning the herd

Janice and I are empty nesters as of 2 wks. ago. 2 empty bedrooms now and what to do, what to do?? I think I will reclaim the middle bedroom and convert it to a craft/hobby room. I moved a few items in and things looked good. I just finished and shipped a baby quilt to my cousin in Wenatchee, Wa. and Janice said that I need to put up some shelving to display my machines, Ssooooo,I fabricated some steel brackets and attached them to the wall with lag bolts and now have 12 machines(about 400 lb) on display. I am working on a floor plan to display a few of my machines that are in cabinets. I will have a space for my easel when I want to do any paintings. I am 71 and retired, 25 yrs. this month, from an aircraft crash/fire/rescue team and work part time for the last 23 yrs. as a purchasing agent at a local industrial firm. I am in remission with chest cancer and I had a small stroke about 3 yrs. ago. Janice is in remission with breast cancer. Collecting machines and using them is great therapy and I sometimes just look at them wondering what their story is. I have a 221 in the stable that was given to me by a friend and it was made 10/10/1948 and I have the complete history on ownership and is one of my favorite machines. Can anyone have too many machines? For me it looks like 24 is now the magic number and when it's my time to go, the kids should not have any problem disposing of the collection.

Soman2
The other Rodney
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM

LOL Rodney (the other Rodney) I thiknk we all have a magic number. I apparently haven't reaching mine yet. I've heard the concept of kids being concerned about a lot to deal with after the parent passes. Expletive comment comes to mind here! Too bad! All of my possessions are signs of a full life and well enjoyed. They show I had passions and interests and I am not planning to pare them down to make my passing from the planet easier on someone!

I look forward to gaining an extra room some day in the future but there's no hurry. I bet you are enjoying the extra space!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:23 AM

hey.. if you find that guy, can I get in the queue for his cousin??? I keep saying I am thinning the herd but it keeps growing. .....
Old 06-28-2015, 06:51 PM

wow I was just considering installing shelves all up one wall for display LOL! I did find out from the shop that helps fuel my addiction that I should bring in any I don't want/extras and see about trading. she mentioned it when I was there yesterday so I think I will do that- just pull them out and try them out- I want at least one working one of each - and see about doing that.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:03 PM

other Rodney my mom and dad spent their last years doing estate sales and such and my mom loved to look at the machines (never used them but once LOL!) and wonder their story - I do the same sometimes - wonder if they were used a lot, what was made on them...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 AM

As a side issue Susanna re: existing conditions and insurance.
In my case, and I have no reason to expect it isn't nationwide the new healthcare act is a lifesaver, literally.
I had breast cancer in 2011 and BAC lung cancer in 2013. At that time to pay for private insurance was $2500.00 a month. Purely out of the question.
After the healthcare act my insurance is $795 a month. You cannot be penalized for existing conditions...unless you've let your coverage lapse... Takes all my little pension, but at least it is out of that fantasy zone of thousands.

The downside if it can be considered such, is the last two years the income tax forms had the question "do you have health insurance". The healthcare act is mandatory if we don't have it via other means and will be enforced soon.

Just sharing, not advising, we never gave insurance a thought when we had work coverage.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 06-29-2015 at 06:41 AM.