Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Treadle irons, cabinet, and machine from different sources, now one. >

Treadle irons, cabinet, and machine from different sources, now one.

Treadle irons, cabinet, and machine from different sources, now one.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:27 AM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Belen, NM
Posts: 1,350
Default

Nice finished product no matter where all the parts came from. I've been following Leah Day's blog with her account of doing much the same thing with some treadle machines she recently bought.
Innov8R is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 05:31 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
tuckyquilter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,852
Default

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.. YOU did great on putting it together.
tuckyquilter is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 06:46 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tate_elliott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 380
Default

An update on the machine, actually on the aquarium tubing. I had trouble using a section of the tubing as a connector. I tried cutting a thin slice off it, so it would fit better, but it would pull loose after a day. Or I wouldn't cut a slice off and I had trouble with that; my machine has a "hood" over the part of the handwheel where the belt goes and the belt bulged too much to go through with the full-sized connector. I tried using a piece of very thin, clear packing tape wrapped around the tubing just once and, so far, that seems to be working fine. If that fails, I may try sewing the two ends together.

Tate

Last edited by tate_elliott; 05-04-2018 at 06:49 AM.
tate_elliott is offline  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tate_elliott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 380
Default

Back for what I hope is the last update. The packing tape didn't hold. I'm sure duct tape would be sticky enough to hold but it would add too much bulk to get through. I found that the hood was only partly to blame; the groove on the handwheel is so narrow, anything larger rides above the groove, thus it rubs the hood. So I have sewn the ends together by cutting a 1.5 inch section of tubing, cutting it in half lengthwise (so it won't make the tubing bulge), putting half of it up into each end, and hand sewing it. I put the section into the tubing so the stitching will be spread over a larger area than if I just sewed the tips of the two ends together.

Tate
tate_elliott is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JudyTheSewer
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
8
01-30-2014 03:14 PM
JaneK
Main
9
06-09-2012 04:36 PM
Monroe
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
12
04-27-2012 03:54 AM
cny_sewer39
Main
13
05-21-2011 08:02 PM
JaneK
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
3
10-27-2010 06:35 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.