Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it. >

The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it.

The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Packing a package sufficiently is important. However one would normally expect bubble wrap to be sufficient for something like a motor. The only additional packing I would have even thought about might have been adding packing peanuts around it, but that would have been if shipping something usually considered fragile. I doubt I would have done it on a motor.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

In over 50 years of shipping and mailing I have had only 1 time with US Post Office that was a bad expereince (this past year) the package took over 4 weeks to get there and it was crushed and dirty. I called the PO several times to find out what happened to it, so now I do get a tracking number and do consider insurance. I don't have to much trust anymore because of how employees get treated etc. I am surprised more doesn't happen, so now you just have to take extra steps. By the way when I get a soft package from UPS it has foot prints and it is so dirty, they must walk on stuff and throw it or whatever, this happens almost everytime I get something delivered from them in an envelope. The stuff inside is OK, but the outside looks awful.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 AM

january mortgage check was returned to me minus envelope. check looked like it had been kicked around the floor a bit. a info note was included stating it was either loose in he mail or damaged during their processing. it had been mailed in the mortgage company's envelope along with payment coupon. Where did payment coupon go? it was not returned. I have watched my bank statement so i know that there has been no payments made on my bank account that I had not authorized or made myself. i do not want to go through the hassle of switching bank accounts etc like I did a couple years ago when someone stole my checking account number and someone else's identification and had checks made out in that name. Luckily the person got greedy and i received a overdraft notice in the mail and was able to close down account and get all money returned. Testified at her court trial--she got 14 months with possibility of parole after serving 7 months---she could be out of prison already and this was her 6th offense.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roseirish48 View Post
january mortgage check was returned to me minus envelope. check looked like it had been kicked around the floor a bit. a info note was included stating it was either loose in he mail or damaged during their processing. it had been mailed in the mortgage company's envelope along with payment coupon. Where did payment coupon go? it was not returned. I have watched my bank statement so i know that there has been no payments made on my bank account that I had not authorized or made myself. i do not want to go through the hassle of switching bank accounts etc like I did a couple years ago when someone stole my checking account number and someone else's identification and had checks made out in that name. Luckily the person got greedy and i received a overdraft notice in the mail and was able to close down account and get all money returned. Testified at her court trial--she got 14 months with possibility of parole after serving 7 months---she could be out of prison already and this was her 6th offense.
some people NEVER learn do they?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM

I am so sorry about the little machine being damaged. To report on the USPS, most of the time things are good on shipping and being timely. Recently at my office I received from them an envelope which contained a check I had used to pay a bill for work with the envelope I mailed it in which I did not put postage on. I understand, no postage return it, but it was from last July and I just now got it!!!! There is a problem there.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM

The main problem with USPS is that it is NOT a government run or government supported agency, but it cannot raise rates or make changes without congressional approval. It's an agency in limbo and at the mercy of Congress. Granted, there are problems long standing in the USPS (salaries too high, too many perks, too many employees, etc.). When I was teaching (retired now), I did a comparison of my salary, hours worked (teachers get paid for only 9 months, even if they do spend many of the 3 months off taking required classes and attending workshops, etc. at their own expense) based on my degree. Postal workers get paid for 12 months, but with vacation time, federal holidays, they work fewer days than teachers do--and still get paid for 12 months--and they don't have to have college degrees, masters degrees, doctorates to get paid that much.. The postal employees union has hurt the service severely.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

anytime anything with any value (and especially if an item is being sold/purchased) there really is no excuse to not add insurance. it is not expensive to add insurance- i do alot of (long-distance) transactions---and i don't care if it's only $25 i will not send anything to any one without adding insurance to the package- if the recipient purchased an item from me they deserve to recieve it in the condition i *guarantee* it to be in- the best way to make sure that is the case is to protect myself and them-and add insurance to the package. personally ---i would hold the seller responsible- sorry-
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM

I have to disagree with Millie H. Postal workers are now putting in 10 and 12 hour days 6 days a week in many offices. 5 weeks vacation and 10 or so paid holidays don't add up to 3 months by my calculations. Of course, you always have people who abuse the system in any company but in the 26 1/2 years i worked in the postal service, I found most postal workers to be very dedicated to their customers. Most letter carriers go above and beyond what is required and work in the worst weather conditions,(heat, cold, snow ice and now are often required to carry in the dark.) Never had many customers want to trade jobs with me unless it was a beautiful day and those are few and far between
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
You can't believe a lot of the liberal news media.
Or the other station either. If you go back to the source.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM

I know some one that worked at Christmas time for UPS he told me to never mark a package fragile because there were some that worked there that felt it was there job to actually throw hard anything marked fragile. they calaimed they didnt have time to be careful