Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it. >

The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it.

The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM

I feel better today.

Yesterday I started this thread because a small box containing a metal bodied motor with a cast iron bracket was delivered broken. It was a good little motor before some one(s) played basket ball with the box.

Fast forward to today.
I just got another box from another forum member with a Bakelite motor and lamp, a foot controller and some attaching parts. All parts wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in a larger flat rate box.
It arrived in good condition, all parts in good shape. No damage of any kind.

The box yesterday came from California.
The box today came from Illinois.

Not trying to make anything out of this other than to report two different boxes from two different places in the country and they arrived in different conditions.

There is still no excuse for this kind of damage. I will not forgive them that.

Now, I just had a thought about another shipment I received last month.

I'd ordered some treadle parts from a company in Australia. Paid for it and somehow I managed to give them the wrong street number.
That package left the AU postal system, came to the US, went through customs then made it here to IL before being sent back to Australia because of "NO SUCH ADDRESS". The seller sent it out again with the correct address on it and it repeated it's journey. Double custom stickers, double everything, and finally arrived to me in perfect condition.

Those who try to be sympathetic to or make excuses for a damaged package will find it falls on deaf ears with me.
There are too many cases of packages arriving under extreme conditions without damage for me to believe that all of them couldn't be delivered the same way.

Joe
Old 02-29-2012, 04:29 AM

One thing to remember always take a picture of what you are mailing.Always add extra Insur.Only cost 2$ for an extra hundred.Take to a mail box place to mail,let the package it.Sorry about all this.Have a great week.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Did you see the report and video of a delivery guy pitching a big screen TV over a 6 foot fence? It was marked Fragile-Big Screen TV on the box. If they do that to a TV box just imagine what they do to smaller ones and pack accordingly.

I think that was United Parcel.... Not USPS.
Sandy
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 AM

As a USPS retiree I know some of the bad things that happen to parcels and letter mail. Most USPS employees take pride in their jobs and are overworked because of hiring freezes and threats of closures and no Saturday delivery. However, in the video of the the computer monitor being thrown over the fence, please do not confuse USPS with Fed EX. They are 2 different delivery services. You have people who don't care in the USPS, UPS and FedEx.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jrrotunno View Post
I have long tried to support the USPS whenever I could. But I totally agree with you that they seem to be treating packages extremely carelessly lately. I even had a 1st class large envelope damaged recently. I am very nervous about a parcel post item I am currently waiting on. And I think my loyalty is about gone
Janyce
I agree also.I have had fabric delivered with the end of the packet torn off, another envelope twisted and covered in grease, and to top it all of, my DD bought me a Singer 99K that had a perfect case before it was shipped to me. When I got it the case was in pieces. Luckily the machine is fine and the top of the case is OK !!!! My DH and I put the case back together (glued it and put new material on the outside) as best we could but it made me so disgusted with the postal service..... I have no faith in them any more!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Morag, your machine should have never been shipped IN the case. Old wood is brittle...I would never ship a machine in the case because of that. I won't even bring a cabinet style machine home from 15 miles away in the cabinet...I always separate them. Just hitting a bump in the road can make the machine "bounce" within the case or cabinet, and that can cause damage. The machinery that the Post Office uses to process packages is like really bumpy roads...but it's more efficient than having a person hand carry each package to each destination... I don't think you can blame the USPS for the damage to the case of your machine...that's the shipper's fault.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Personally I think it's asking for trouble to ship anything heavy, especially a sewing machine, without double-boxing it and having lots of padding in both boxes.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM

I've had a similar experience, the item was packed in 2 padded envelopes and taped and then in a third envelope and taped, it arrived empty all torn and they said there was nothing they could do!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Well it wasn't on the net, it was on the News. If you can't believe the News......?
Tartan, has a point. I saw the same video on the news before I ever watched it online. It seems all the delivery services were getting caught around the busy time of years pitching the package rather than gently placing the package. I even had a Fedex guy throw a package on my front porch from mid yard, I watched from my kitchen window. Luckily it was only an envelope with fabric in it, but just the same. I feel for these workers because i'm sure they have a production goal that they have to meet but when the cost of sending a package is more than what's in the package sometimes it is easier to send a gift card. If I need to send a big item gift and can send it site to store anymore that is what I do.

J Miller, I hope you're able to get you damage issue worked out. I'm sure those parts don't come easily.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=LauraRG;5013814]My DBF works for the USPS............. visit to your local PO to talk with the postmaster there. If you go at a less busy time of day they may have more time to help you. These can things happen with all the carriers - my BF's brother works for UPS and says they are having similar issues.
I
Sadly I do not think the PO is very customer friendly or care about customer service. Our Local PO was recently not closed but sorting moved across the river to ND. We were told service at our PO would not change. Guess what 2 different times I visited the PO or tried to once at 11:35 and once at 12:45 and it was closed for lunch.
So I drove across the bridge to the "big PO" and it was also closed. I sent my package UPS!! There is NO customer service any more. Even when I go to the doc and they only work on appointments if I want something over the noon hour there is someone there to help me!!! They need to quit advertising how good they are and actually be good and provide customer service