Vintage Child's Singer

Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Vintage Child's Singer

I work part-time at an antique mall and see antique sewing machines (treadle mostly) pretty regularly. I don't get excited when I see one but today I was walking to the back and there was the cutest child's Singer with a foot pedal. It was the cream color with orange accents. It's $25.00. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not as I've never shown an interest in vintage machines at all (except the two I inherited). It's just soooo cute!!

I've always prided myself on working there with all the pretties and never just "having" to have something. I always tell myself that part of the joy of working there is that I get to enjoy all the pretties until they find their mommies. I want to be this sewing machine's mommy!!

But I will not do this as my stuff is really bugging my husband and I really don't need to bring anything else into the house. Of course, I could buy it and put it in my grown daughter's room. I still have a few toys in her closet. He would never know. And just think of the fun my granddaughter and I could have with it in a few years

Major ethical dilemma going on in my head right now. It's not the $25 - it's buying something else and hiding it from husband or not doing it at all! Hmmmm!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned

you can assume a child's treadle anything will have a pretty good value.... I'd run back tonight.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 PM

$25? I would have picked it up and run - especially if it was cute!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
... Of course, I could buy it and put it in my grown daughter's room. I still have a few toys in her closet. He would never know. And just think of the fun my granddaughter and I could have with it in a few years

Major ethical dilemma going on in my head right now. It's not the $25 - it's buying something else and hiding it from husband or not doing it at all! Hmmmm!
What he doesn't know won't hurt him. The stuff in your daughter's room doesn't bug him, right? I don't think I've seen a child's treadle. Would love to see a picture.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:06 AM

I have the opposite problem, my husband is the hoarder and I am the thrower outer. If you really want this, why not put it in your daughter's old room. Maybe you could rearrange her room and put some of your things "bothering" your husband in there. As long as my husband's stuff is out of my way, I don't care.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:40 AM

I don't think the OP meant that the machine she saw was a treadle machine, as most, of not all, of the child's treadle machines were black. A picture would help with the identification.

Regardless, if you want the machine, and can afford it, go for it.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 AM

Run, run fast buy and put in daughters closet for GD
Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 AM

I would tell DH that you are going back to buy it for your DGD and put it in your DD room. It is a foot pedal electric looking model if I read your post right. I bought one for my oldest DGD. It was shipped to me from IL and with shipping it was more than $25.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
I don't think the OP meant that the machine she saw was a treadle machine, as most, of not all, of the child's treadle machines were black. A picture would help with the identification.Regardless, if you want the machine, and can afford it, go for it.
I agree. However the last two actual children's treadles I know of a person acquiring were done at thrift stores and for less than $100. After re-reading it I think you are correct that this on is just the toy. Still a fun find, but not to stress about.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:46 PM

This is not a child's treadle. It has an electric foot peddle.

The stuff in DD's old room does bother DH b/c I've sort of taken it over. There fabric all over the bed and items for e-bay on the floor. And the baby's exersaucer is also in there. You can barely open the door. But there is still a little room in the closet.

If it's still there the next time I work, I will consider it meant to be. If not, I will assume that it was meant to be someone else's.