Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 217 of 225 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 5608

Thread: Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

  1. #5401
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    This one is in St. Louis,MO. They must have really good stuff to smoke there. The treadle cabinet looks like it may have been out in the rain.

    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/4177004734.html
    I think he's reading the s/n incorrectly. There are no numbers that start with single letter A. The only possibility is EA1663xx, which would be a 66, 1924. And it's a side clamper. And he's offering a slant buttonholer to frustrate the new owner. And he lifted the description from someone else's ad. It doesn't describe this machine!
    Last edited by Sheluma; 11-24-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added quote
    Sheila

  2. #5402
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    I never see nickel 15s. I'm almost tempted to go look at it but can't buy it at this price.
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/atq/4211226707.html

    I feel so sorry for this one. Must be missing its cover to have gotten this dirty. Probably missing its knee bar, too.
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/atq/4182850032.html
    Sheila

  3. #5403
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    Wasn't the centennial in 1951?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    Yes. I think she means that some machines manufactured in 1948 would not be sold until 1951, at which time they would get the centennial badge.
    I read "somewhere" that machines were badged when they left the factories. If the machine left in 1951, it would get the badge. If the machine's serial number was allocated in 1951, but didn't leave the factory until 1952, it wouldn't get the badge. That's why the 1951 serial numbered and badged machines are a little more "special" than the ones where the serial number is from a different year.

  4. #5404
    Super Member mlmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,384
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/4211810000.html

    Come on. I am not paying to remove someone's trash.
    Mark

  5. #5405
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    Come on. I am not paying to remove someone's trash.
    LOL I get people to do it all the time. I got $5 and $10 each for some old wood windows and $10 for old derelict doors. DH was happy he didn't have to haul them. I would love to have that repair cabinet.
    Last edited by miriam; 11-25-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  6. #5406
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/4211810000.html

    Come on. I am not paying to remove someone's trash.

    Methinks the two jewelers / watchmakers benches are well worth the $25. Funny how value is in the eye of the beholder.

    Jon

  7. #5407
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    4,715
    Oh- I'd love to get a hold of those watch repair benches! Ok - so that means I'd add them to my long list of "when I get time" but still, I love all the drawers!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

  8. #5408
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    LOL I get people to do it all the time. I got $5 and $10 each for some old wood windows and $10 for old derelict doors. DH was happy he didn't have to haul them. I would love to have that repair cabinet.
    I love the jeweler's bench too, but it's missing a lot. Miriam, people use old windows as picture frames or other decor, especially if they have multiple panes. The old wavy glass is fast disappearing. I love wavy glass.
    Sheila

  9. #5409
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    I love the jeweler's bench too, but it's missing a lot. Miriam, people use old windows as picture frames or other decor, especially if they have multiple panes. The old wavy glass is fast disappearing. I love wavy glass.
    These were not wavy glass - some even were broken. I sold every last one of them though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  10. #5410
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I read "somewhere" that machines were badged when they left the factories. If the machine left in 1951, it would get the badge. If the machine's serial number was allocated in 1951, but didn't leave the factory until 1952, it wouldn't get the badge. That's why the 1951 serial numbered and badged machines are a little more "special" than the ones where the serial number is from a different year.
    Yeah, that sounds right...I kinda meant to echo what you said before about leaving the factory. I also read that Singer didn't want to sell centennial-badged machines in 1952 because people might think they were buying an older model. Not sure if that's true. When machines went to the dealers it must have been hard to know exactly when they would sell. So I wonder if the dealers were swapping out badges in 51 and 52.
    Sheila

  11. #5411
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4213485677.html
    I keep finding deals. Not happening for me this week though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  12. #5412
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fuo/4204820503.html
    some how I think the name on that clone is missing something... Why do I...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  13. #5413
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    4,715
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4213485677.html
    I keep finding deals. Not happening for me this week though.
    Now that is an interesting collection - a 66 back clamp with a very early singer motor - in a non-singer treadle cabinet with the moving parts removed, with a set of attachments - only one of which would fit this machine, and a manual for a non-singer vibrating shuttle machine - maybe the manual is for what was originally in that cabinet.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

  14. #5414
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Oh- I'd love to get a hold of those watch repair benches! Ok - so that means I'd add them to my long list of "when I get time" but still, I love all the drawers!
    I am right now in the process of making a Jewelers bench with my youngest DD (she is a budding Jeweler). I picked up my Radial Arm saw, Router Table, and Lathe from my buddy that was borrowing them for the last year. We would have LOVED to start with those as a base.... but we are making it from scratch.

  15. #5415
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Now that is an interesting collection - a 66 back clamp with a very early singer motor - in a non-singer treadle cabinet with the moving parts removed, with a set of attachments - only one of which would fit this machine, and a manual for a non-singer vibrating shuttle machine - maybe the manual is for what was originally in that cabinet.
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4213485677.html

    That early Singer motor looks like a knock-off of the Hamilton Beach. Check out the two metal strips in front and in back of the bed. They look like linoleum edging.
    Sheila

  16. #5416
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    i'd pay 1/2 that for the motor just to clean it up and make a gift out of it, after a rebuild...hehe

  17. #5417
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fuo/4204820503.html
    some how I think the name on that clone is missing something... Why do I...
    Yeah, it's "Ever sew" incomplete.
    Sheila

  18. #5418
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4213485677.html



    Davis Minnesota cabinet,"A" manual, and most of the attachments. Strange Mix with the Redeye.

    Jon

  19. #5419
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fuo/4204820503.html
    some how I think the name on that clone is missing something... Why do I...
    Is it missing an "N" for $500?

    Jon

  20. #5420
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,598
    I think this is the most foolish treadle turned quilt rack I've ever seen.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/fuo/4207972379.html

  21. #5421
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I think this is the most foolish treadle turned quilt rack I've ever seen.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/fuo/4207972379.html
    That is so ugly I about fell out of my chair.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  22. #5422
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGirl View Post
    I think this might come in handy...(tongue in cheek)
    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ546097900
    For those really stressful days! LOL

  23. #5423
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I think this is the most foolish treadle turned quilt rack I've ever seen.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/fuo/4207972379.html
    worse part is that it is a pre-1885 set of irons....

  24. #5424
    Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I think this is the most foolish treadle turned quilt rack I've ever seen.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/fuo/4207972379.html

    That is really ugly! At the very least, they could have painted the top rails black so they would match the rest of it! I usually don't mind repurposing old machines, but this is just dumb!

  25. #5425
    Super Member lovelyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,103
    Blog Entries
    6
    Originally Posted by Monroe
    I think this is the most foolish treadle turned quilt rack I've ever seen.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/fuo/4207972379.html



    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    worse part is that it is a pre-1885 set of irons....
    The lady who quilts some of my quilts used the irons off of about 24 treadles to make her porch railing. It looks cool, but I asked her about where she got do many irons. She said the people in the area (very rural) knows she sews, so they have been dropping unwanted treadles and other vintage machine off on her porch for years. She said "if they don't work" her DH takes the irons off (just the ends) and trashes the machines, cabinets, etc. I think I just stared at her in shock for a couple of minutes. Then I asked her to please call me if they get another vintage that won't work. No calls yet... I keep thinking about what treasures she might have trashed...
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Page 217 of 225 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 216 217 218 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.