Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464942[/ATTACH]
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the world of vintage sewing machines but as I understand this is the place for me and my machine. I got my White Domestic 761 Automatic ZZ/SS (free) from my sister and popped it in a $40 stand off of kijiji. I heard from a fellow vintage machine enthusiast that it was made in 1954 in japan but there seem to be mixed opinions about that online. It has the large letters "GNS" cast into the bottom and "JZ 51637" on the side, if anyone out there is interested in finding more about it. I've been teaching myself to sew on it for 2 years, I love how simple it is and easy to find the problem if something goes wrong. It has a good motor on it that will push through almost anything. It was defiantly worth getting serviced and i hope it outlives me.
I love seeing all the old machines on this thread. I look at all 19 pages. Does anyone know of a database online where you can see old machines? Or maybe a good book on the market to help a young enthusiast get her bearings?
Attached Thumbnails p2280042-small.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pamibell View Post
I love seeing all the old machines on this thread. I look at all 19 pages. Does anyone know of a database online where you can see old machines? Or maybe a good book on the market to help a young enthusiast get her bearings?
This might just be it...
Very neat machine - I bet you are having a good time sewing on it, too.

Last edited by miriam; 02-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Neat looking machine, pamibell.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by pamibell View Post
Nice machine. Web searches on old machines are what led me to this board. I have an old Morse Fotomatic. There is a yahoo group called vintagejapansewingmachines which has a lot of pictures in its files as well as a number of manuals. You may not always get responses to your questions in the yahoo groups, but they are a good source of information and pictures. I think it's difficult to date the Japanese machines because many were badged with multiple names and records weren't kept on them. There are some people around that seem to know which companies made which machines. Toyota made a lot of them. I also belong to yahoo groups for Elna, Necchi, Pfaff and Singer. There are groups for vintage Brother, Viking/Husqvaarna, and others but I haven't joined them as I don't have their machines.

Enjoy your machine. There are a lot of good old machines out there. You could ask about people's favorites and get dozens of responses.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

You could ask about people's favorites and get dozens of responses.[/QUOTE]

I am somewhat picky about machines... But there are more Japanese vintage machines I like than dislike. I can tell you if it has plastic I dislike it But there are a couple I have with all metal that I dislike, too. Both of them are the same model Goodhousekeeper machines. The funny thing is that other Goodhousekeeper machines I Really like. I think Joe has one of those same style goodhousekeeper machines and doesn't like his either. I also like the machines with disks. I like the machines that have a centered needle - however - if that was all I had around I would rather have an old machine with a left hand needle than a new plastic wonder.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 PM

There are some pictures at the Needlebar wiki. http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...Museum_Archive
It's not complete by any stretch but it's there.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:29 PM

NapaJohn directed me to this board
I just got a Morse Lightweight yesterday and have just did a quick cleaning
I posted on the general vintage section so here is a link if you would like to see Maeve the Morse
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t243411-2.html
Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Here's one that I recently won on GW. A beautiful, aquamarine blue and pale turquoise gem, in very nice condition. Unfortunately, it's had its badge ripped off. (Gasp!) The poor thing has been deflowered! Who would do such a thing? Does anyone recognize this sweetie? It has a hinged bobbin plate, vert. bobbin, no ZZ. Plaque in lower right reads, "Super Deluxe Precision Sewing Machine." There is a serial number, but it doesn't have JA in front of it. I'd love to find the missing badge...I know, like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks,
Cindy
Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   stitch-reg.jpg   bobbin-case.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I have seen a few with no badge. I assumed they never got a badge ever since I found one with a badge on a wire in the case.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have seen a few with no badge. I assumed they never got a badge ever since I found one with a badge on a wire in the case.
Oh...I never thought of that. How sad...You mean that they were possibly machines waiting to be given a badge? Kinda like being in the sewing machine orphanage, or SM purgatory? Hummm...well, it has 2 holes drilled in it and some flaked paint around the area where the badge should be. My thoughts were that it had a really cool name and someone thought it would be fun to pry it off and hang it on their bedroom door, or car mirror.
~Cindy