Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage machine that does a blanket stitch? >

Vintage machine that does a blanket stitch?

Vintage machine that does a blanket stitch?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Miriam, does the Elna Carina take the black plastic type disks same as the Supermatic? If these stitches aren't any good there's no point in me hunting them down. Blancket stitchesof are often just as much for the decorative as the functional aspect of it though. I am looking for a couple of stretch stitch disks and #146 I thought was pretty close to a blanket stitch. Lock stitch machines will never have a real blanket stitch anyhow.
Yes it takes the same disks as the Elna su I've had for 40 years. I don't know of any home sewing machine that would do a true blanket stitch either. There are some things that just look a lot better done by hand.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I checked out google for blanket stitches on sewing machines and they show pics of many different blanket stitches, so I guess it depends on the type you are looking for. I have one that goes 2-3 stitches straight then stitches over 2 stitches like a hand done blanket stitch, sort of and it is on a Janome 8900. Not much help.lol
Believe me, if a 8900 was in the budget, I'd be all over it.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
That has to be it, I didin't think of it like that. I did wonder what it could be, one less unknow factor is one less worry when sorting issues out. .

I was very lucky there, and by a guy who has made quite a few of them. It's something I could not do on my own, and finding someone with the right machinery and willing to do it is easier said than done.

I don't mind the pulley as much if it works, it should be less of a maintanance problem with the O-rings. Yes, I did follow that still picture video, and had to watch it over and over. It was full of lint and fluff dow there, major thread mess, everthing was jammed, but not worse than the neglected machine in general. Previous owner used class 15 bobbins and had needle in the wrong way. I did find it a bit cumbersome to have to loosen two screws to take out the bobbin case though, but after the initial cleaning I hop I can manage to maintain it with q-tips, tweasers and a brush.

Compared to the 201 I find it the Supermatic bit abrupt, everything feels "thightly fit" in a way, but it's much faster, speed and swing needle movment are very different. The easy feel when maneuvering fabric on those old straight stitchers is one of their advatanges. I am getting used to the bobbin case; I had problem with the thread jumping out of the bobbin tensioner until I figured out how to pull it down correctly. I am getting better at lifting up the bobbin too, it has to be a light finger in just the right place for it to come out smoothly. I'm getting more into this macine as I gradually become familiar with it's quirks.
I think that warm up and extra stick once it's warmed up is also how you can tear a pulley off the machine too. I have photos of the pulley after an hour's work and I didn't think that was even possible but I've seen it. I was the one who ran the machine and tore it off but I believe them based on the time frame in which it happened.

When I'm just operating a Supermatic or similar, I really don't mind them. It's the opening them up and having to jump through all the extra hoops that makes me grumble. Once they're dialed in, I think they're really neat little machines and make great stitches.

The 15 bobbin is weird. I thought that would be too tall and probably too much drag with the plate closed. I've seen 66 bobbins in them though, almost every one I've come across in fact.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
My Elna Carina has a couple disks, 150 & 152, that might be considered to be a blanket stitch. One is straight and the other has a slant to it. I bought it last summer - it was in need of some bobbin area adjustments. It is one nice machine though. Igor's wife, Igora, may have taken it apart and reassembled it wrong. The slide show guy on Utube to the rescue and bobbin carrier is good to go. I'm finding myself using that machine a lot for appliqué. I'll have to try the disks out some time.
I have that slant stitch on my Pfaff, I think. It's a stretch stitch of some sort. I do have one of the white cams for one of the "newer" (i.e. 630, 758, etc) Singers but I don't know that I want to have one sitting around for just a blanket stitch. What stitch are you using for the applique? I've promised myself I'll learn to use my embroidery machine for some applique too. I know I don't have the patience for handwork, so this is the only way I'll do it even though I love the look of applique.

I don't know of any home sewing machine that would do a true blanket stitch either. There are some things that just look a lot better done by hand.
Some of the high end computerized machines do what I think looks like a nice blanket stitch. I just can't currently justify that sort of buy in for what amounts to one stitch (and a knee lift, needle down, speed control, start/stop button... ) that I don't have currently.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 PM

The Bernina 930 Record owners manual does not list a blanket stitch per sae. The stitch it has that looks like the one pictured in the link is called the stretch stitch.

So for those that do use the Bernina 930 for blanket stitch, which stitch do you use? What number on the selector is it?

Joe
Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I don't get professional, computer machine results but I just use a zz stitch, which that little Elna does beautifully. A couple months ago I bought a cheap plastic wonder machine because it had a kit and some appliqué scissors. The scissors are German made and were a true prize. I would recommend getting a pair if you do raw edge appliqué. I had some fabric with HUGE flowers so I cut them fussy and appliquéd them on totes. The first couple I did were on a Montgomery Ward machine. I can't say I was thrilled with the results but the main reason was I didn't think much of the presser foot on that machine. The Elna had a nicer stitch and I liked the foot. I've never use a blanket stitch for appliqué but I just do raw edge. I'm not sure how a blanket stitch would do on raw edge. I can think of other reasons I'd like a blanket stitch or a button hole stitch but I just do them by hand anyway. I like the hand done look better. One of the things I like about the Corina Elna is the foot control can go slow. I like a slow speed for appliqué. It is easier to go around curves and get the details crisp. I've often though a hand crank with fancy stitches would be nice for that but I haven come across anything I wanted to use or would work. I've seen some that could but didn't like the machine.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It sure looks like a blanket stitch, you're right! Does your machine take the same cams as the 1914?

These ones:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536285[/ATTACH]

I didn't see anything that looked like a blanket stitch in it. If it's the right one for your machine, it's yours.

I think all these Kenmore cams that come in the books fit a variety of machines and probably would fit in mine...... if I didn't have it buried in the basement..... for emergencies. I like that machine, but it's left homing and I'm not comfortable with it.

We should probably build some sort of list of those cams, unless someone has one. I couldn't google one and my manual only lists a small amount of the options.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Default Blanket Stitch

My Janome Horizon does blanket stitch. Perhaps they have other models that do as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM

I have a Janome 2160DC that has a blanket stitch listed as "Applique", page 38 of the manual. This machine was "retired" just about the time I bought it. A review speaks highly of it and says the 3160QDC replaced it.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 PM

I have a 70's Kenmore with cams, and it has Blanket stitch. Also an old dressmaker...I think that is just a name some store gave to it..look at the old machines and keep your eyes open at thrift shops.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The stitch it has that looks like the one pictured in the link is called the stretch stitch.
It looks like a blanket stitch but the side fed stitches are slanted? My Pfaff calls that an open overlock stitch.

I don't get professional, computer machine results but I just use a zz stitch, which that little Elna does beautifully. A couple months ago I bought a cheap plastic wonder machine because it had a kit and some appliqué scissors. The scissors are German made and were a true prize. I would recommend getting a pair if you do raw edge appliqué. I had some fabric with HUGE flowers so I cut them fussy and appliquéd them on totes. The first couple I did were on a Montgomery Ward machine. I can't say I was thrilled with the results but the main reason was I didn't think much of the presser foot on that machine. The Elna had a nicer stitch and I liked the foot. I've never use a blanket stitch for appliqué but I just do raw edge. I'm not sure how a blanket stitch would do on raw edge. I can think of other reasons I'd like a blanket stitch or a button hole stitch but I just do them by hand anyway. I like the hand done look better. One of the things I like about the Corina Elna is the foot control can go slow. I like a slow speed for appliqué. It is easier to go around curves and get the details crisp. I've often though a hand crank with fancy stitches would be nice for that but I haven come across anything I wanted to use or would work. I've seen some that could but didn't like the machine.
Oh! A satin stitch for the applique. Of course. That's the way I first tried machine applique. It's also how I overheated my pedal on the 403 and learned to take apart the pedal and clean all of the disks and how that couple of posts came to be on my site. LOL! These days, I'd still try my 411G but it would have to be with an electronic pedal for the same reason you mention - being able to go slowly.

I picked up a grab bag a couple of months ago at a thrift store that had a pair of Italian made Gingher Duck bill applique scissors in it. I agree, I love them for the delicate work. As best I can tell, blanket stitches are for turn under applique and largely decorative. You can ladder stitch it otherwise and have it invisible.

Treadled 401G/411G might do an interesting job of a satin stitched applique.

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I think all these Kenmore cams that come in the books fit a variety of machines and probably would fit in mine...... if I didn't have it buried in the basement..... for emergencies. I like that machine, but it's left homing and I'm not comfortable with it.

We should probably build some sort of list of those cams, unless someone has one. I couldn't google one and my manual only lists a small amount of the options.
I feel like a fish out of water with left homing machines too. It's just weird, I keep wanting to align the needlebar.
I'm quite sure that there's a cams thread here somewhere. I don't remember who started it though.

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
My Janome Horizon does blanket stitch. Perhaps they have other models that do as well.
Janome has a number of models that will do it. I might just break down and get myself a "new" machine while they're on sale this month at the dealer I like. I'm just scared it will go from a $500 machine what will "do" to the one that has all the bells and whistles that I'd like to have. I guess I better pick a couple of my machines to purge to make space. And cash.

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I have a Janome 2160DC that has a blanket stitch listed as "Applique", page 38 of the manual. This machine was "retired" just about the time I bought it. A review speaks highly of it and says the 3160QDC replaced it.
The dealer nearest me has most of the Janome line on sale this month. The 2030QDC looks like it has it, as does the 4120QDC. I'm glad to hear you like the 2160, it's probably quite similar to these 2.

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I have a 70's Kenmore with cams, and it has Blanket stitch. Also an old dressmaker...I think that is just a name some store gave to it..look at the old machines and keep your eyes open at thrift shops.
Thanks Donna! I've been prowling the shops and the for sale lists.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Rodney has a thread somewhere about pictures of machines and the cams that go with them. I know, he hounded me to put mine up there.lol