Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh here is a great post that someone just made and they are words to live by...........:mrgreen:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99558-1.htm

Billy
Jeeze, now I'm scared to plug in my 201! Our house was wired by bozos and I would have fried, for sure...
That is why I find machines with external motors, belt drive. I love tossing the motors and plopping the machine into the treadle cabinet.
Happy to read that you are enjoying your treadle. These vintage machines are fun to sew with.
It WAS fun! I pieced an entire baby quilt top on it tonight-- the first thing I've made on it. Still getting the hang of treadling. I figured out it was easier to get the wheel started on the upstroke of the needle, rather than the downstroke, if that makes any sense... I think my pitman still needs some fine tuning. It's not easy to start treadling. But still, I had an absolute blast piecing that top on it!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

It WAS fun! I pieced an entire baby quilt top on it tonight-- the first thing I've made on it. Still getting the hang of treadling. I figured out it was easier to get the wheel started on the upstroke of the needle, rather than the downstroke, if that makes any sense... I think my pitman still needs some fine tuning. It's not easy to start treadling. But still, I had an absolute blast piecing that top on it!
Thats why the handwheel was called the handwheel, because you use it to start and to stop the machine!!

I love my treadles and after you get used to yours you will not want to mess with a new machine again!!

Billy
Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 AM

Thats why the handwheel was called the handwheel, because you use it to start and to stop the machine!!

I love my treadles and after you get used to yours you will not want to mess with a new machine again!!

Billy
Gotta love this Vintage Sewing Machine Shop....always learning something here! Thanks to you Billy and to all that post here. Good Morning !!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
OMG!! The cabinet for the 99 is worth 3 times the asking price and the rest is free!! Who is in that area?

Billy
Shhhhh! We don't want the non-sewists to know that!! :twisted:
Sharon W.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 AM

I was looking at shopgoodwill.org yesterday and found an interesting description for a bobbin:a wheel of string.
:lol: :roll:
Sharon W.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Anyonre looking for a Singer 31-15 to do free motion quilting on, this is used by several of the folks on Treadleon. It is an industrial model.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/for/2213679380.html
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM

[quote=sewbizgirl][quote=vintagemotif][quote=sewbizgirl]

I have a Lotus 66-1, Thistle Marie, that started me on my journey of using a treadle. I purchased two vintage machines on the same day, Singer 15-91 and Singer 66-1 in treadle. After a day of playing with the 15-91, I got brave with the treadle. Treadling takes some getting use to, but there is something peaceful about these vintage machines and they are very forgiving with us (like a sweet Grandma). Well, I fell in love with the treadles. This is a baby quilt that I pieced with my Lotus 66, Thistle Marie, and quilted with the Singer 15-91. It is a Moda pattern. Now all my piecing and quilting is done on treadles. Have fun treadling!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158131.jpe   attachment-158133.jpe  
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM

If anyone lives near Red Deer, AB, there is a free Singer 227 up for grabs. It's 3.5 hours away from me and there's no way I'd be able to go there today anyway.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ260635577
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I was looking at shopgoodwill.org yesterday and found an interesting description for a bobbin:a wheel of string.
:lol: :roll:
Sharon W.
Funny! Some descriptions are too much.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I have a Lotus 66-1, Thistle Marie, that started me on my journey of using a treadle. I purchased two vintage machines on the same day, Singer 15-91 and Singer 66-1 in treadle. After a day of playing with the 15-91, I got brave with the treadle. Treadling takes some getting use to, but there is something peaceful about these vintage machines and they are very forgiving with us (like a sweet Grandma). Well, I fell in love with the treadles. This is a baby quilt that I pieced with my Lotus 66, Thistle Marie, and quilted with the Singer 15-91. It is a Moda pattern. Now all my piecing and quilting is done on treadles. Have fun treadling!
I LOVE that baby quilt! I have some Bliss charm squares that may want to be that, when they grow up! If those are prarie points sticking out around the border, they are the perfect little "fondlers" for baby's fingers to grab. Great quilt...

Your "Thistle Marie" looks exactly like mine! Another brown lotus! That's what I'm piecing my baby quilt with right now. I love that machine. The bobbin mechanism is just a wonder, isn't it?