Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
I've been trying to decide whether to go to see an Eldredge "B". It has the treadle assembly and cabinet, but the lady says that she "refinished" the cabinet. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but in the pictures it looks awfully shiny, so it's probably very bad. Pictures show a machine that needs a lot of cosmetic cleanup, and it may be missing a few pieces. There are some decals, but mostly worn off. The price is $55, and she won't take less, because she paid $50 for it. Is this model worth the hassle? I don't know how many are around. The treadle is really neat, maybe just because it doesn't say Singer on it. ;-) Any opinions? It is nearby.
If you like it get it!!! with the treadle already refinished and the machines decals are worn then you can use it without worrying about hurting the value.

I say go for it!!!

Billy
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Sorry! Just happened to be available. LOL. Billy, you're gonna like this Eldridge I picked up today.

It is sewwwwwwwww cute. I will take lots of photos. My DH even said it was well worth the trip (3 hours each way)! We truly are enjoying this together. But, we are beginning to run out of room. And, yes, we are considering which piece of furniture do we need. With Lynn's furniture making and my collecting vintage machines.. you can imagine how fast things are fillin' up around here.

Glad you are feelin' better. :lol: :D
I can not wait to see the machine either, and if hubby is excited about it then its got to be a goodun'!!!

Billy
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The mission fell through...... :cry:

It was not anyone's fault by far but between the horrible weather and traffic jam that Charlees brother got wrapped up in and the long wait we would have had we just decided to go back home.

If it were earlier in the day we would have gone to Hancock of Paducah and looked around there for a bit. But it was around 5:30pm and there was no way I could have made the drive there before it was closed.

So there might be a chance of me getting it tomorrow if her Brother skates through my area before my wife has to be at her doctors appointment and my sons dental check up.

Oh and I am not going to tell Charlee about what was riding around my trunk the whole trip that was going home to her because I think everyone should have at least one in their collection........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
BIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!! I'm already nearly in tears because you all didn't get to meet up!! ;) And now I find out that I'm missing out on a prezzie?? ACK!! I am SO calling Corky and telling him to get his butt to Memphis!! :lol:

Gimme a hint??? HUH?? Pretty Please with Sugar on Top? :lol:
Old 06-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Sewcrazygirl...you need to go out and start junkin! Go to a bunch of rummage sales, flea markets and thrift and antique stores. I even admit to pulling two out of a dumpster, lol! Start talking machines to everyone you know....you never know who might have an old one willing to sell. Got my Japanese one free from an antique guy who said it wasnt worth anything, but it looks NEW, and sews like a DREAM! My most expensive one was the treadle for 50.00, the others were 15.00 or less!
Good Luck, I know you'll find a beauty!!!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
CarrieAnn, you have a Model 15 clone. It's a great machine, a real workhorse, very reliable. I use mine to piece quilts. It's a real sweetie. You should be able to straight-line quilt on it with no trouble, and I think it will drop feed dogs so you can free-motion quilt.

There is a Yahoo group called something like "vintagejapansewingmachines" and they will have more info for you.

I have posted several times about finding out something on Japanese Singer clones but no replies until your post. Thanks so much..I'm going to check out that yahoo group this morning.

Cricket
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 AM

Oops...sorry Billy, I didn't know how you felt about clones vs. copies. I didn't know there was a difference. I have a Kenmore 43 also. When I found my Emerson at a thrift shop they threw in the Kenmore and I got them both for $20.00. This weekend I asked my son to come over and help me clean up/out my large shed. In almost 100 degree heat. Is that love or what??? What I didn't tell him was that I wanted the room to keep a few more machines in a sort of staging area. My daughter in N.O. found a machine at a garage sale this weekend and called and wanted to know if I was interested. She was relaying my questions back and forth with the owner on her cell phone. All I know for sure is it is something called a Coronado...it's a sort of crinkly black finish and it says "made in the USA" and she talked him down to $20.00. She is planning on a visit here for the 4th of July weekend and will bring it with her. I'll send pictures as soon as it gets here.

Take care of yourself...you're important to us!!!
Carol
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 AM

Since Charlee started posting links for CL finds. Here is one from my area. I would be glad to go look and pick up whatever you purchase :-D :-D :-D

Negotiate well!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1789306302.html

And a treadle industrial.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1789306302.html
Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 AM

My DH, great engineer and avid fisherman that he is, has agreed to learn how to work on the vintage machines with me. :thumbup: I told him how much money we can save if we do the job ourselves - and with 5 to tackle, he is more than willing! (I know, I could do it alone, but why - when I can spend the time with him!!)

So my thanks to Billy and all who have been so encouraging about doing the work rather than sending these precious little machines out.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
My DH, great engineer and avid fisherman that he is, has agreed to learn how to work on the vintage machines with me. :thumbup: I told him how much money we can save if we do the job ourselves - and with 5 to tackle, he is more than willing! (I know, I could do it alone, but why - when I can spend the time with him!!)

So my thanks to Billy and all who have been so encouraging about doing the work rather than sending these precious little machines out.

Working on sewing machines is one of the most entertaining hobbies I can think of! I like puzzles and like to know how things work, so this to me is just an extension of that. Plus, cars have gotten way too complicated, so this fills the Tinker Factor.

I hope to be leaving in the morning for the NC TOGA (TreadleOn Gathering and Academy) for 5 days of vintage sewing machine overload. (I'm waiting to hear from my youngest daughter's latest dr's appt before making a firm commitment; grandchildren actually trump sewing machines. They're the only things I've found that do.) While there, I plan to take yet another sewing machine repair class with Ray White, so have my tool box and machines with issues lined up ready to put in the car.

I would just like to say I haven't saved a penny; everything I save from doing my own upkeep and repair goes right back into tools and machines!!
(That lavender Kenmore floats my boat!!)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 AM

Thank you so very much Billy for setting up this wonderful shop. Only drawback is I sit here and read and get nothing else done, lol.I've read all 154 pages.
I found a Singer 66 Red Eye treadle machine with the cabinet. It is in rough conditon and parts of the machine are rusted. But the decals look good.I've been waiting almost 6 weeks for them to price it. It is at a thrift store. They just called me and they are asking $35.00.
Is it worth it? Will the rusted parts clean up? If anyone can help me I have to go look at it at noon today and decide if I want that much of a project.
Thanks, Judy