Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by frostiedee
are most treadle heads the same size. I have a treadle and the cabinet is great. I enjoy the machine, but can't find Brunswick parts. I'm want to trade heads if I find one I like. I have seen a couple of red eye singer treadle heads on e-bay that might be in my price range. One seller told how it would be doubled packaged.
Almost all of your Singers will be the same with the exception of the 3/4 machines like the 28, 99, 128, 185J, and the 9W which is full sized but is a Wheeler & Wilson. The others will just swap out like nobodies business. Now the different makers were different sizes with the exception of the Japanese 15's

I hope I didnt confuse you to badly and helpped you out with the question.

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katia
I'm just watching it too. There is a reserve, but I have no idea what it is. The workmanship is amazing. Can you imagine, a glass presser foot! I think it is a work of art.
I bet its around $1200 to $1600.

This is a very significant machine in wonderful condition!!

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Icandothat
Billy,
The scotts liquid gold I find at Home Depot is a cleaner and preservative.
Is this the right one?
Thanks.
Yes Ma'am it is just make sure its in the pour bottle!!

Billy
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:58 PM

There's masking tape dried on the sewing bed of one of my newly acquired vintage machines.
How should I remove it?
Would appreciate your help.....
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Icandothat
There's masking tape dried on the sewing bed of one of my newly acquired vintage machines.
How should I remove it?
Would appreciate your help.....
Thanks.
Goo Gone works great for me or sewing machine oil or WD 40

Put a little on there and let it sit for a bit to soften up and your good to go.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM

I have been looking for a long long time for a Singer treadle ... I've always wanted one... even before I started sewing ... I always thought they were the coolest things ever.

Today I went to a yard sale I found on Craiglist ... and found a Singer ... cabinet is in horrible condition ... machine is in decent condition ... serial number dates it 1892. *blink blink* ... of course I didn't know it at the time ... I got it for $25 ... I must work on it (interpret this to be my hubby as it needs wood work done) ... but it's just needs some work ... will take pictures tomorrow.

When we got there ...the top was wet ... someone set pop on the top and it spilled ... the top vener is peeling and needs replaced anyway ... just thankful it didn't get in the machine!

Serial #: 11038478
Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 PM

This afternoon I saw something that made me wish I carried my camera everywhere...

My DH took me shoe shopping. In the store, there was a treadle base being used for display, so I asked if it contained a machine, or had been made into a table. To my surprise, he said it contained a Damascus treadle machine. Imagine his surprise when I knew what he was talking about!!! He said no one else had known the brand when told the name. He jumped up, cleared off the top, and opened up the machine.

What a machine!! It needs a little cleaning, but works well. The cabinet is in great condition. I said something about someone I know looking for a Damascus. Ah, well. It was Great-grandmother's machine, and not about to be sold...

Oh, how I wish I had had a camera with me. But at least I can share the information...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
This afternoon I saw something that made me wish I carried my camera everywhere...

My DH took me shoe shopping. In the store, there was a treadle base being used for display, so I asked if it contained a machine, or had been made into a table. To my surprise, he said it contained a Damascus treadle machine. Imagine his surprise when I knew what he was talking about!!! He said no one else had known the brand when told the name. He jumped up, cleared off the top, and opened up the machine.

What a machine!! It needs a little cleaning, but works well. The cabinet is in great condition. I said something about someone I know looking for a Damascus. Ah, well. It was Great-grandmother's machine, and not about to be sold...

Oh, how I wish I had had a camera with me. But at least I can share the information...
Cameras are one of the best tings to have with you at all times!! I have learned the hard way plenty of times with that one.

Thanks for sharing the story, it gives us hope that we will be able to have more machines saved.

Billy
Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
I have been looking for a long long time for a Singer treadle ... I've always wanted one... even before I started sewing ... I always thought they were the coolest things ever.

Today I went to a yard sale I found on Craiglist ... and found a Singer ... cabinet is in horrible condition ... machine is in decent condition ... serial number dates it 1892. *blink blink* ... of course I didn't know it at the time ... I got it for $25 ... I must work on it (interpret this to be my hubby as it needs wood work done) ... but it's just needs some work ... will take pictures tomorrow.

Awesome Score!!!!! I can not wait to see the photos!!!

Billy

When we got there ...the top was wet ... someone set pop on the top and it spilled ... the top vener is peeling and needs replaced anyway ... just thankful it didn't get in the machine!

Serial #: 11038478
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Ohhhh, I wish you had your camera. I do carry mine at all times, one I can carry in my jean's pocket.

A few months ago my DH and I traveled 2.5 hours to look at a Damascus Treadle. I had to confir with Billy since I had never hear of it. Long story - short: I am close to being able to post a photo soon. My DH just finished replicating the cabinet and he will soon be attaching the irons to the cabinet and then it will debut in the cafe. Can't wait, the cabinet is exqusite... but why not, it's my DH workmanship! I have to brag someplace. :D

Oh, we paid $30 for it!