Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 271 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 270 271 272 281 321 371 771 1271 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Nancy,
    Do you own a 201-2? If not there is a 201-2 in Stockton on CL for $40.
    http://stockton.craigslist.org/atq/2054006880.html

Blog Entries
    Just one of my Christmas projects, table runner, that I pieced on Mr. Two Spools treadle and quilted (straight-stitched) on my 201 treadle. I used the glue method of sewing the binding on and then used my favorite decorative stitch from my daughter's Janome T-30 to sew the binding down. I found glueing the binding down to be very helpful, much better than pins.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Billy, We found a pea green singer today that looks as if it's a 3/4 machine. Looked up the serial # and found it was made in 1954, canada. That's the only information we could find on it. Don't have a picture because we left it at the shop. Would you happen to know what kind of machine it is we do have the Ser. # it's JD710091. It was in a cabinet made of limed oak.
    Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Billy, We found a pea green singer today that looks as if it's a 3/4 machine. Looked up the serial # and found it was made in 1954, canada. That's the only information we could find on it. Don't have a picture because we left it at the shop. Would you happen to know what kind of machine it is we do have the Ser. # it's JD710091. It was in a cabinet made of limed oak.
    Thanks
    Sounds like its a 185J! And it is a 3/4 machine, essentially a 99 in a new dress. Be careful of the base if it is in the original case. They turn brittle through the years and if your not thinking you will pick it up and the bottom will fall out or crack on it.

Billy

Billy

Hey Billy - Scarlett (Red Eye) should be at your door on Monday.

Blog Entries
    Vintagemotif,
    Very pretty, I can't wait to get my sewing room completed so I can learn to treadle. Got the sheet rock yesterday so it won't be long. I have a red eye and a lotus I want to learn on.

I'm in need of some help. A friend of mine gave me her old Pfaff model 73. The tension dial is having a big problem. No matter where I set it, it stays the same. I like it because it is so quiet. Can someone guide me as to where I can get some info on how to fix the tension. I sure would appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Thanks
    Sounds like its a 185J! And it is a 3/4 machine, essentially a 99 in a new dress. Be careful of the base if it is in the original case. They turn brittle through the years and if your not thinking you will pick it up and the bottom will fall out or crack on it.

Billy

Billy
    Thanks for the info. It's in a cabinet. Don't know if we will get it or not still working on a price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Nancy,
    No I don't own a 201-2. How can you tell it is a 201? The picture is pretty bad? By the potted looking motor? I have heard you guys talk about the 201 as a really nice machine -- it was suppose to be the finest machine Singer made? The price sounds very reasonable. What do you guys think?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Just one of my Christmas projects, table runner, that I pieced on Mr. Two Spools treadle and quilted (straight-stitched) on my 201 treadle. I used the glue method of sewing the binding on and then used my favorite decorative stitch from my daughter's Janome T-30 to sew the binding down. I found glueing the binding down to be very helpful, much better than pins.
    Wow, that is the same project you were working on, on your Avator isn't it? Very pretty table runner, I wish I could see the quilting lines! You did it all but the binding on the treadle "Mr Two Spools?"

So your 201 must be the 201-1 - before a motor?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laura59
    I'm in need of some help. A friend of mine gave me her old Pfaff model 73. The tension dial is having a big problem. No matter where I set it, it stays the same. I like it because it is so quiet. Can someone guide me as to where I can get some info on how to fix the tension. I sure would appreciate it.
    Laura, I have 4 different Pfaff's and I never heard of Model 73. I tried looking one up by googling a Pfaff 73. Nothing came up. Can you post a picture of the Pfaff? Next to my vintage Singers, Pfaff is my favorite machine -- altho, not so much the new ones!

Nancy

It's a cute machine. I have a 1952 fw I got at a yard sale for $10.00. I used it to make my granddaughters quilt with. I love it. They are so easy to work with. I'm looking for a 1958 now.

[quote=BoJangles Laura, I have 4 different Pfaff's and I never heard of Model 73. I tried looking one up by googling a Pfaff 73. Nothing came up. Can you post a picture of the Pfaff? Next to my vintage Singers, Pfaff is my favorite machine -- altho, not so much the new ones!

Nancy[/quote]

I will try to get a pic in a few minutes. Thanks.

Here is a pic of the machine.

Pfaff Model 73
    Name:  Attachment-129162.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  21.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Vintagemotif,
    Very pretty, I can't wait to get my sewing room completed so I can learn to treadle. Got the sheet rock yesterday so it won't be long. I have a red eye and a lotus I want to learn on.
    Wow! Are you building an addition just for your machines? Lucky you! I would love to take out a wall and put in a window to allow more light, but that will not happen anytime soon.
    My 66-1 Louts is fun to sew with, but my all time favorite is the 201 treadle. Mr. Two Spools is wonderful, but he doesn't purr like the 201, more like a constant gallop. The 66 is in-between those two, she purrs just a bit louder than the 201.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Nancy,
    No I don't own a 201-2. How can you tell it is a 201? The picture is pretty bad? By the potted looking motor? I have heard you guys talk about the 201 as a really nice machine -- it was suppose to be the finest machine Singer made? The price sounds very reasonable. What do you guys think?

Nancy
    I'm going by the look of the decals, the area that holds the thread at the top (long with a silver plate), and the fact that the light is in the front. Most 201-2 have the light in the front.

Blog Entries
    Nancy,
    I found you another machine! I think this is one of the Davis Vertical Feed machines.
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2066077651.html

If the machine is a vertical feed and if you don't own one of these, you may want to go after this one. I understand that they are nice for sewing on bindings, sewing with flannels, and thick layers.

This one looks like it take the Boyle needles while the younger of these Davis Vertical Feed takes a 15x1.
    http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

So many interesting vintage machines out there, and all would be fun to play with. :)

Blog Entries
    Nancy,
    I found you another machine! I think this is one of the Davis Vertical Feed machines.
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2066077651.html

If the machine is a vertical feed and if you don't own one of these, you may want to go after this one. I understand that they are nice for sewing on bindings, sewing with flannels, and thick layers.

This one looks like it take the Boyle needles while the younger of these Davis Vertical Feed takes a 15x1.
    http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

So many interesting vintage machines out there, and all would be fun to play with. :)
    Wow, that machine looks just like the VF2 pictured toward the bottom of the list. I didn't even know there was a vertical feed machine. That would be very interesting to play with!

Does anyone have one of these Vertical Feed type machines?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    T

My 66-1 Louts is fun to sew with, but my all time favorite is the 201 treadle. Mr. Two Spools is wonderful, but he doesn't purr like the 201, more like a constant gallop. The 66 is in-between those two, she purrs just a bit louder than the 201.[/quote]

I love my Singer 201-4(now a treadle), its the quietest treadle I own. I do think the 201 spoiled me, I've tried my
    New Home VS and I don't like the tick-tick it makes. Apparently its normal, just gets on my nerves. :( Its been repainted, the machine was a mess, I didn't do the repaint; bought it cuz its purple. :-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the flowers and the paint job on your machine.

Unique and different.
    Ah, hence the name Purplefiend...................

Sandi

Blog Entries
    Purplefiend,
    I love that top photo with the head in the background and the purple machine- makes the machine looks like a toy- until one notices the cabinet.

I love my 201 treadle too!

Nancy
    But of course!! I have one--they're great for straight-line quilting and putting on binding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Nancy
    But of course!! I have one--they're great for straight-line quilting and putting on binding.
    Way cool!
    Which one of the Davis Vertical Feed do you own, older or younger?
    I like those misfit machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend

I love my Singer 201-4(now a treadle), its the quietest treadle I own. I do think the 201 spoiled me, I've tried my
    New Home VS and I don't like the tick-tick it makes. Apparently its normal, just gets on my nerves. :( Its been repainted, the machine was a mess, I didn't do the repaint; bought it cuz its purple. :-D
    Wow! You found that machine in that color? Wow, Again! That is pretty awesome! Do you have any idea who did that paint job?

Nancy