Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-25-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
exactly what I do!
Great minds think alike???????????
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You must have oil down in there or in the motor. Run it like crazy. Stop. Run it like crazy - see if it will burn off after a while. I just did that with a Singer 66. Wipe off any excess oil you see. If the oil is set up like rubber cement let me know. I really love my 403 - it is my favorite machine.
I will try this and get back to you.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM

I made a mistake; what I have is a Singer 1908 Sphinex. The gold decales are in real good condition, just covered with dust and dirt. Without a picture to post, don't know why I get "failed" message when trying to upload the picture. Am trying to find out which model, maybe a 27? Seems the Sphinex decals were put on a couple of different models?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
Thanks Jon, I will try this as soon as I can get some penetrating oil. Should be Monday when I get it done. jb
Had a schedule change and was able to get the penetrating oil and apply it to the 401a. It just got quieter and faster and away it went. So I believe it is now it is fixed. Applied new machine oil and lubricant where indicated in the book.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me on the "fix" of this machine. jb
Old 11-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have not had a problem with the 319 skipping stitches. I use a 206x13 needle in the size required for sewing cotton piecing a 14 usually. Make sure the bight is set properly. I can also sew with a 15x1 with no problem.
Hellol Glenn, I hope you and everyone else here had a great Thanksgiving!

Yes, I am using the 206x13 needles in a size 80/12, which should be perfect for two layers of quilting cotton fabric! I will order some 14's and see if that makes a difference in the stitches, but I don't think the needle size is the issue!

Are you saying you can sew with a 15x1 needle? That would amaze me because this machine takes the special 206x13 needle!!!!!

I don't know this machine yet, so I am not sure if the 'Bight' is set properly! I have tried several adjustments?

Nancy
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I imagine it has to do with the treadling somehow then and maybe the movement to get it to sew would need some practice? You're certain that what you have in it is the 206 x 13 needle? Glen will have to chime in with his thoughts on it. I'm sure between all the brain surgeons here, we'll give you some things to try:> Happy Turkey Day.
Candace you are such a sweet person, I had to laugh when I read this! Two years ago, I would have agreed with you that the 'treadling' could affect the stitch quality, but I know better now. Yes, bad treadling will cause endless frustration with going forward, backward, breaking thread, stopping, starting, but not the quality of the stitch. Two years ago, I was a terrible treadler! I just went forward, backward, broke a ton of thread! No, I am a pretty good treadler now that I do the majority of my sewing on any one of my 15 treadles! I wish it were that easy! Unless, the belt is slipping, but that wouldn't cause skipped stitches or elongated stitches would it - anyone? I think there is something I am not adjusting, doing that is causing the skipped stitches. I wish I understood the 'bight' controller a little better. I don't give up easily - I will figure it out! Now I wish I'd of kept the motor just to try the motor against the treadle!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-25-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble View Post
I made a mistake; what I have is a Singer 1908 Sphinex. The gold decales are in real good condition, just covered with dust and dirt. Without a picture to post, don't know why I get "failed" message when trying to upload the picture. Am trying to find out which model, maybe a 27? Seems the Sphinex decals were put on a couple of different models?
Brushandthimble, what is your serial number?

Nancy
Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Nancy I am in aggrement you will need the 206X13 needle also I had to take a spare needle clamp screw and put in the bight knob. To screw it down tight. Also I set the bight on #1 and got mine to sew nice. Try this and see what you get.
Thank you Trish, I will have to find a screw to fit into the 'Bight' control where mine is missing, but my machine missing the screw shouldn't effect the quality of the stitch should it? That screw is just a lock screw right? My 'Bight' controller has the numbers '0' to '5' - I don't see a number '1'? I think some of the numbering has worn off over the last 50 years. Where do you see a #1 on the 'bight' control dial?

Nancy
Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Thank you Nancy we had a great Thanksgiviing. I only use 206x13 needles but I did try 15x1 and it worked with no problem. I read on the net somewhere about the 15x1 in the 319 and it said it would work so I tried and it did. I wish I could remember where I read it. When I first put the 15x1 I turn the wheel by hand really slow to make sure it would work. Although I am not comfortable with the15x1 and will cont. to use 206x13. I can't see why the 80/20 would cause skipping stitches. I usually follow the instructions in the manual. I must be lucky so far no problems with my machine yet. I am really learning on this machine to.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM

The 15 x 1 needles will hit the bobbin case and nick it over time. The 15 x 1 needles are longer and not made for this machine. Proof of this is that all of the 319's I've ever seen have had original bobbin cases that look partially chewed on. So, not a good idea;> Nancy, is it possible the hook assembly was knocked during travel and or being put into the table? Maybe a good knock did something to the timing. I've never touched the "bite" of the 319 and have had no stitchout problems. If the heavier needle doesn't help, then the other option would be to tweak the hook assembly a bit.