Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Spent all day quilting with my 201. Machine was working beautifully before dinner, fixed dinner, took care of family and dog, and then went back to quilting. Since the needle was sounding old, I replaced the needle and oiled the machine. I prepare all my other sections that I wanted to quilt for the evening (I'm doing a quilt as you go). Start quilting a piece only to realize the dang machine is not stitching correctly. I do everything under the sun that I know on fixing the fiasco, but nothing works. I give up and go to my Davis NVF to at least finish off the piece that I started; I get that finished. I play around with the 201 another half hour to no avail. I give up, take shower, and eat a large bowl of ice cream. Of course I can't leave the machine alone until morning. So, I go back to try one more time to get it to do the beautiful stitches that it's famous for. I say some words of encouragement. Well, she sews for me the prettiest stitches. I look at her and say not what the heck was that all about.

Sometimes I think these vintage ladies are telling us to take a break, just slow down and relax. I'm off to have a cup of camomile tea now that I know the machine is working.

May your Thanksgiving be safe, gratifying, and relaxing. Peace!
How many times have I been there - do you even know what fixed it??? Make sure your new needle is going the right direction... you might need a new, new needle. Sometimes it pays to just take everything down and clean lint, oil and re thread. These old ladies like attention once in awhile don't they. Did you get some chocolate? They like it when you eat chocolate with the ice cream.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
I have a question concerning the Free treadle machine I tried to sew with for the first time today. It wants to skip stitches every 2 or 3 inches as I sew along. The tension seems good and I have checked the needle to be sure it is inserted correctly, and it seems like it is, but I am looking for any help you might have. I have exhausted my information from the manual and can't see any help there. I have a new needle in and am sewing with 2 pieces of cotton.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t147275.html a link that might be of some help
Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Good deal - you don't have to buy accessories. You might be able to offer a little less.
I looked at that again. It is missing a throat plate - if you wait until AFTER the holidays it might be very possible to get one a whole lot cheaper.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Good deal - you don't have to buy accessories. You might be able to offer a little less.
oops wrong one....
Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
I'd say just get one of those pump up sprayers and go for it. I have an uncle who carries diesel fuel and uses it for everything. When he gets a cut or scratch, pour diesel fuel on it. I think if he cut off his leg, he'd put diesel fuel on the stump and think it would grow a new leg. He swears by it for keeping anything from getting infected. He's 80 now so he must have a clue about something. lol
I don't want to go too crazy, we have some really big old nice trees out there in the middle of it all...
Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 AM

Diesel fuel isn't the only option to kill poison ivy. The garden centers sell the regular spray that won't poison the land for 10 years. More expensive but worked well in my yard. Old school sewing machines I enjoy, old school pesticides and herbicides aint for me.
Jon
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Spent all day quilting with my 201. Machine was working beautifully before dinner, fixed dinner, took care of family and dog, and then went back to quilting. Since the needle was sounding old, I replaced the needle and oiled the machine. I prepare all my other sections that I wanted to quilt for the evening (I'm doing a quilt as you go). Start quilting a piece only to realize the dang machine is not stitching correctly. I do everything under the sun that I know on fixing the fiasco, but nothing works. I give up and go to my Davis NVF to at least finish off the piece that I started; I get that finished. I play around with the 201 another half hour to no avail. I give up, take shower, and eat a large bowl of ice cream. Of course I can't leave the machine alone until morning. So, I go back to try one more time to get it to do the beautiful stitches that it's famous for. I say some words of encouragement. Well, she sews for me the prettiest stitches. I look at her and say not what the heck was that all about.

Sometimes I think these vintage ladies are telling us to take a break, just slow down and relax. I'm off to have a cup of camomile tea now that I know the machine is working.

May your Thanksgiving be safe, gratifying, and relaxing. Peace!
Well Monica I had a similar day yesterday with my 319w! I decided a couple of days ago to make a nice table cloth for Thanksgiving out of 3 large table runner kits I had stashed away. I made the table cloth mostly using my 1940-50's Morse - Japanese 15 clone - because I was working on the kitchen bar with the table cloth spread on the table - designing it as I sewed. Besides, I fully believe that all my machines need to be used occasionally to keep them oiled, etc. I got the table cloth done and big enough for the 112" table, then I decided I didn't want to quilt it, just finish the seams and serge the edges so it would be nice and flat and look more like a table cloth than a quilt. I went to the 319w, who I haven't really got to know yet, to finish all the seams. I tried the built in zig zag, the #3 overcast cam and a few other stitches, but I'd get a nice stitch then skip stitches. I got very frustrated because I did everything under the sun to fix the problem, still skipped stitches. I finally realized there was a screw missing on what the book refers to as the "Bight Control." I don't think the screw affects the stitch quality - I think it is just a lock screw? Candace do you know if the screw on the left side of the "Bight Control" actually does something? Anyway, since I was only finishes seams, it didn't matter that the stitches look like crap so I kept working with different settings. I finished all the seams with a nice zig zag, then long stitches - no zig, then zig zag - and I quit!

I did love treadling the 319w - even though, I couldn't get a nice consistant stitch!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-23-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290446[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]290444[/ATTACH] My Morse - 15 clone - I used yesterday along with the 319w treadle!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails 319-cabinet.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-23-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Can you guys tell me why when I post a picture, one comes out as an attachment, the other one actually shows the picture?

Nancy
Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Sounds like we were all quilting yesterday! I have some blocks that I bought at St. Vinnie's thrift, paid a whopping $3 for 20 handpieced blocks. Put them together, and took them to my Janome, because it was out. The machine can't handle the weight of the quilt and I get super tiny stitches. Went to the 201. Love that machine!! She has some tension issues to get worked out tho...ended up on the 15-91. I love that these old machines are strong enough to handle a heavy quilt and maintain stitch quality!!