Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I've been reading over the info on cleaning machines. I must have known about them, I posted on them some.... LOL Wow. I've come a long ways. When I first found my 401G in the trash I had no idea how to make it work. My sister kept telling me I had nothing to lose. She kept saying use some kerosene. I did - I saw on line where you put some kerosene in a can and then paint it on the moving parts that don't move... Then I used 3-in-1 oil to oil it. It worked - briefly - but the machine moved briefly so I had hope. The next was to get the 3-in-1 oil off that machine. Kerosene didn't do so well. After a lot of trial and error, I think I used denatured alcohol to clean off the 3-in-1 oil. It is a wonder the paint hasn't all come off that machine. I learned to stuff cosmetic pads in there to absorb extra solvent as it hit and cover the base. I've worked on a LOT of machines. Most of them didn't need that much kerosene clean up, just quite a bit of oiling & adjusting or a couple parts to sew correctly. Recently I have found some older machines in rougher shape and I am pondering how to tackle them. I think actual soaking is not necessary. A lot of dried on oil set like a varnish is on a couple. I think that varnish may be what has kept them from rusting. I see no reason to remove the varnish from anything but the moving parts. Maybe I'll shoot some oil on there and see what happens. If it works, cool and if it doesn't move, heat and oil some more. If not then some kind of quick drying solvent on the spot - when I can work outdoors of course. There is a bit of rust on the plated parts. I've not removed a long bobbin winder before - is that necessary? How hard its it to get one back on? Can I put a bowl under it and 'paint' some rust remover? Seems like a bit of machine oil or dish soap cleans off a lot of dirt - seems prudent to test an area first. I really don't want to expose myself to any more chemicals than I have to. I'm waiting for spring to arrive so I can do things outside - my 'shop' is pretty ventilated and that equals cold this time of year. I guess you could say my 'shop' is climate controlled..........
Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311109[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yes I have. He was less than helpful. Said right off he didn't have anything like that. I told him I'd bring a sample in and he said don't bother, he wouldn't have it.

I have done search after search on sewing machine motors, parts, service places, and this motor is virtually unknown.

Joe
Joe, I know how frustrating it can be when you can find nothing out about your machine. I have an Hitachi treadle that fascinates me for that very reason. I even sent Hitachi an e-mail asking when they made sewing machines and got an answer that they never made sewing machines! Yet, Monica did some research and found a for sale site in Japan with lots of Hitachi treadles listed! Noone, here in the states seems to have ever heard of the Hitachi treadle!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails hitachi-treadle.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-12-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
It shouldn't be any different Jan...I'd sure appreciate it!
http://www.archive.org/stream/Form21...ge/n0/mode/2up

There you go Charlee.

Texas Jan
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've been reading over the info on cleaning machines. I must have known about them, I posted on them some.... LOL Wow. I've come a long ways. When I first found my 401G in the trash I had no idea how to make it work. My sister kept telling me I had nothing to lose. She kept saying use some kerosene. I did - I saw on line where you put some kerosene in a can and then paint it on the moving parts that don't move... Then I used 3-in-1 oil to oil it. It worked - briefly - but the machine moved briefly so I had hope. The next was to get the 3-in-1 oil off that machine. Kerosene didn't do so well. After a lot of trial and error, I think I used denatured alcohol to clean off the 3-in-1 oil. It is a wonder the paint hasn't all come off that machine. I learned to stuff cosmetic pads in there to absorb extra solvent as it hit and cover the base. I've worked on a LOT of machines. Most of them didn't need that much kerosene clean up, just quite a bit of oiling & adjusting or a couple parts to sew correctly. Recently I have found some older machines in rougher shape and I am pondering how to tackle them. I think actual soaking is not necessary. A lot of dried on oil set like a varnish is on a couple. I think that varnish may be what has kept them from rusting. I see no reason to remove the varnish from anything but the moving parts. Maybe I'll shoot some oil on there and see what happens. If it works, cool and if it doesn't move, heat and oil some more. If not then some kind of quick drying solvent on the spot - when I can work outdoors of course. There is a bit of rust on the plated parts. I've not removed a long bobbin winder before - is that necessary? How hard its it to get one back on? Can I put a bowl under it and 'paint' some rust remover? Seems like a bit of machine oil or dish soap cleans off a lot of dirt - seems prudent to test an area first. I really don't want to expose myself to any more chemicals than I have to. I'm waiting for spring to arrive so I can do things outside - my 'shop' is pretty ventilated and that equals cold this time of year. I guess you could say my 'shop' is climate controlled..........
Miriam, I think you have gone past being just a 'collector' and you are now working on these machines and finding new homes for them? Yep, some hobbies become a business because of your interest, you are becoming a sewing machine repair person. Good for you. I wish, I could do that too, but I just collect!

Nancy
Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm facing up to it Nancy - I am planning to take Ray's class in the spring.... I want to fill in my gaps. I feel like I have a LOT to learn. Machines are collecting in my shop for spring. I just hope I have time to do them. Love them and re-home them I guess.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311126[/ATTACH]Janyce, posted a picture of her new Wheeler and Wilson #9 in the photo shop and asked some questions about the machine. Her W&W is exactly like the one I have that was brought over here from Portugal! Hers is the only other W&W #9 that looks just like mine. As you all know, I bought this machine from the son of the second owner who has the paperwork on the machine. It is suppose to be from about 1887, according to the son, his mother brought the machine over here from Portugul in 1970. She inherited the machine from her very close friend who had died. The son, Peter, had kept this machine since his parents passed away. He was on his way back to Portugal to settle their estate there. That is the only reason he sold the machine to me!

Anyway, you all know how much I love the W&W's. I told Janyce to post her machine here too so we can discuss it!

This is my cabinet and machine, but like I said Janyce's is exactly like mine!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails wheeler-wilson-1887-open.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-12-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I think the lines between hobby and business ARE blurred. If it is to be a business, it needs some sort of organization to it or it could get out of hand and crazy. I have been looking at how to best tag a machine - what needs to go on a tag??? they come in and then I don't know what is going on in another month. I don't need to be looking them over more than once I guess. Some times I just don't have time to fool with something or don't have a certain part. I try to order parts all at once to save postage. Some times I take a day just to work on tensions that need to be torn down. That way I keep in practice. There are different types of tensions, too. I think there is just so much to learn about the machines. I doubt if anybody ever learns all of it. I've seen the repair man get stumped. I know the repair man knows basics and then has to look up what he doesn't know specific to a machine - too many odd machines out there aren't there.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM

Default Wheeler & Wilson #9

Wheeler and Wilson Model 9 my daughter happened across Thursday and gave to me! She is in wonderful shape, Serial #904, last patent date Aug 27, 1878. Just need to clean her up a little, add a belt, and learn to treadle! Everything works smoothly and she does have one bobbin. The cylinder in the accessories picture has 22 needles in it! Whooee. It looks like the cylinder and the manual were in a drawer that may have had the oil can it spilled on them. I am hoping that with a magnifying glass or good camera I can read the address on the cylinder. It was shipped from Chicago, the stamp and return address are easy to see, but I would love to know where it went. I believe that will tell me where she came from. I am going to the second hand store where she was purchased today to see if they know anything about her. Hoping I can learn more. I think her name is Imogene but waiting to see if I learn any more of her history before I am certain. I have spent the last two evenings researching all and I can find on these machines, and all the Wheeler & Wilson 9 pictures that I have found in my research are different, until I found BoJangles picture of the one she has from Portugal. Mine is the twin! I am so excited I can hardly think. And I should be quilting, lol. Any and all information, tips, etc would be most appreciated. I have pictures in the vintage photo album but have copied the text here as Bojangles kindly explained to me that this is the forum for discussion.

I am enthralled with all the old machines I am sewing here. It will take months to work through all the great information and pictures about the various machines. What a wealth of knowledge! Today I am going to look at a Pfaff treadle -I know absolutely nothing about old Pfaff's having been a Bernina girl, and restricting my limited vintage knowledge to Singer and Bernina. It appears that Imogene has struck a match on my SMAD and expanded it!
Janyce
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jrrotunno View Post
Wheeler and Wilson Model 9 my daughter happened across Thursday and gave to me! She is in wonderful shape, Serial #904, last patent date Aug 27, 1878. Just need to clean her up a little, add a belt, and learn to treadle! Everything works smoothly and she does have one bobbin. The cylinder in the accessories picture has 22 needles in it! Whooee. It looks like the cylinder and the manual were in a drawer that may have had the oil can it spilled on them. I am hoping that with a magnifying glass or good camera I can read the address on the cylinder. It was shipped from Chicago, the stamp and return address are easy to see, but I would love to know where it went. I believe that will tell me where she came from. I am going to the second hand store where she was purchased today to see if they know anything about her. Hoping I can learn more. I think her name is Imogene but waiting to see if I learn any more of her history before I am certain. I have spent the last two evenings researching all and I can find on these machines, and all the Wheeler & Wilson 9 pictures that I have found in my research are different, until I found BoJangles picture of the one she has from Portugal. Mine is the twin! I am so excited I can hardly think. And I should be quilting, lol. Any and all information, tips, etc would be most appreciated. I have pictures in the vintage photo album but have copied the text here as Bojangles kindly explained to me that this is the forum for discussion.

I am enthralled with all the old machines I am sewing here. It will take months to work through all the great information and pictures about the various machines. What a wealth of knowledge! Today I am going to look at a Pfaff treadle -I know absolutely nothing about old Pfaff's having been a Bernina girl, and restricting my limited vintage knowledge to Singer and Bernina. It appears that Imogene has struck a match on my SMAD and expanded it!
Janyce
Janyce, I can't wait to hear about the Pfaff treadle! I have never even seen one in person! Miz Johnny from this shop has one, but she has never posted the photo! I would love to find a Pfaff treadle!

Nancy
Old 02-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
No idea, but it's an elegant little thing. The motor looks like it could be an old Hamilton Beach motor, so not much help with identifying the maker of the machine.