Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I just sold an old gray and navy blue White zz machine last night. The girl fell in love with the machine paint nicks an all - she felt like it had been loved.
Great now only 100 to go.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Great now only 100 to go.
at least that many
Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 PM

At least you are cleaning them and selling them. I don't know how you find the time with work and your contractor Phil LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I haven't had a whole lot of time lately. Someone quit with no notice so I've been busy. Then again last couple days I got a lot done after work. I have a Singer 301 that needs the shuttle pulled out and the rust cleaned off it - my sister might come and that will give us a project. There are all kinds of wiring problems, Glenn. I have one I thought had good wiring then I looked at the wire that was under the machine. Not so good - one brittle wire with a break. Always good to check and double check the wires.

Today I messed with the prettiest clone - it is a cream or butter color. The machine hasn't been used very much. I got it mostly cleaned up and got to the tension - it looked odd but I couldn't say what it was off the bat. So I tested it out. It would not sew. I took the tension off and reseated the spring and it went in to the holder a little better - looked better and felt a lot better. Minor change. So I knew I had it well adjusted. It would not sew. So I took the tension plate and all off a clone I know works real nice. It did the same thing. So I took the bobbin case off the good clone - it did the same thing. OK. Put it all back. Change the needle. Check for burrs. It would not sew. I noticed the spring in the shuttle was a little loose. I tightened it up and that machine runs like a sewing machine now. It sews.
B E A U T I F U L.

I also messed around with some 1980s Kenmore machines. Nice machines. Work great. I hope someone wants them. I'm needing to match up machines and cabinets and get rid of cabinets. 100 machines are one thing that many cabinets is a PITB.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

DH has been busy remodeling the shop. He's put in a bridge to go from one end of the house to the other in a whole lot less effort - well 3 steps instead of 40. The utility room has been a PITB forever. The steps were steep no hand rail. DH fixed all that. Next he will run plumbing and wiring under the bridge - hopefully the drains and hot water will be more efficient. The shop will get moved into the old kitchen where there is plenty of sunshine. I am hoping to have a big sewing room where the living room is. Nearly half or maybe more people that buy a sewing machine don't have a clue how to use one. So I should be able to do lessons some day.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

maybe the bridge pic will load. Temporary plywood floor - that gets changed when the plumbing etc is done.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]400571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails odds-ends-february-036.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

The old concrete steps are under the bridge and to the right - it's ok I can't see it anymore either. We already love it. The door to the hall (where the bathroom is located) is on the left now. He cut a hole in the wall. It looks like nothing has happened - very nice job.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM

The old concrete steps are under the bridge and to the right - it's ok I can't see it anymore either. We already love it. The door to the hall (where the bathroom is located) is on the left now. He cut a hole in the wall. It looks like nothing has happened - very nice job.
I see lots of progress on the shop. When we come this summer maybe we can do a little rewiring of some of those machines.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Glenn you would save a lot of machines if we do more rewiring!!! Better still maybe we can set some in treadles. I am overwhelmed by all there is to do some times. Lately I'm hoping to match up Kenmore machines with foot controls, Kenmore cabinets and Kenmore attachments. I have some real nice Kenmore machines back there waiting. I also need a source of good various Kenmore manuals - some of those Kenmore machines are not easy to operate - you have to know magic to get them to do magic and those are the ones that have no ID to locate a manual. Then again some of the Kenmore machines are so simple - I'm thinking I'm all for simple.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 AM

Glenn you would save a lot of machines if we do more rewiring!!!
Miriam, I get great prices on machines if the wiring is bad when buying them. Fortunately, rewiring doesn't scare me. For many machines, it is quite simple. I do some rewiring on about 1/2 to 1/3 of the machines I do. Quite often it is the motor leads (wires going into the motor housing). I'd be glad to shoot you an email tutorial I did if you would like.
~G~