Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello Nancy, I've started a new thread, called Glenn's Fishy Quilt, so we can all see each other's blocks and Glenn can see all the machines. Lets see how many of us post pictures of our blocks, and then you can fill in the gaps at the end - and of course, we want to admire the quilting!
Muv, thank you that is really sweet, but I'd rather not have a new thread. So many people worked on this quilt that would love to see all the pictures/comments, but they all don't have the time/nor do they go to all the off shoot threads we keep starting. It is really hard for me to keep up with this shop much less go to all the new off shoot shops. I'd love to keep the conversation here so everyone can see the blocks/the quilt/the machines that they worked on it. If anything, the quilt should go in the Quilts made with Vintage Machines shop.

Can I have some other's input? What do you all think? I can't keep up with all the other threads? I really would prefer not to have another thread. I'd like to see this quilt go to our Quilts photo shop, but nowhere else.

Joe I will post your photo soon I promise! I just have to get the camera and download all the photos!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-19-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Ok Muv, I went to your new 'thread.' It is nice, I will post all the photos I can there, but I still think the quilt should be in our own quilt photo shop - all that information could be there for all to see and read about including the machines used - this is the purpose of that shop.

Nancy
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343152[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy, Muv,

I'd like to see my square. All and I mean all of the pics I took of it and the machine I was using are trapped in the hard drive that died. So far we haven't been able to recover anything from it.

Thanks,

Joe
Here you go Joe!
Attached Thumbnails joe-blocksmall.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Charlee here is yours[ATTACH=CONFIG]343153[/ATTACH] all quilted!
Attached Thumbnails charlee-block.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Here is Miriam's block. Glenn I forgot to take a photo with the door open! When you get a chance, can you add Miriam's block with the door open?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]343156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails miriam-blocksmall.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Here is Miriam's block. Glenn I forgot to take a photo with the door open! When you get a chance, can you add Miriam's block with the door open?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]343156[/ATTACH]
Miriam, I didn't know you have an embroidery machine!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Default Fishy Quilt Block by Miriam

Ok, here is Miriam's block with door open.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-vsms-members.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 AM

I would like to see closeups of each and every block. It is interesting to us the technique used in putting each block on the background. I am especially curious about the fishy with the braces.
I too am one of those that always made clothes or did crafts but never made quilts and want to learn more about how to quilt.

Elaine
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I still get tears in my eyes everytime I look at my beautiful fishy quilt and all the nice things you have said about me in this VSMS. Did I say you guys are the greatest. Needless to say I am a little embarrassed by all the attention but I love it and so glad I can help you with these vintage machines. I will continue to work on them and as I come up with simple cleaning and restoring techniques that are simple to do and without harm to machine and the beautiful decals I will gladly pass them along to you. My only goal is to help you have a beautiful machine to use and admire. My enjoyment is seeing your before and after pics of these grand old ladies. Please let me know if you need help on the cabinets or the machine. I am here to help. Gosh I love this quilt!!!!!! I promise I will come down to earth after the fishing trip. lol BTW I still have two quilts to finish myself, the Alamo quilt using the Singer VS2 for piecing and an Americana guilt pieced with grandma's red eye that I am hand quilting(this one will take some time)
PS: Not much sewing in the summer with fishing, camping and the yard work.

Skipper
Glenn, I am so glad you really like the quilt. I "used" to do a lot of hand quilting. I always put my bindings on by hand! Then I took a class a few years ago on the "Quilt As You Go" technique. I got hooked. I have an HQ 16 long arm machine on a 10' table that I still use occasionally to quilt a top, but I prefer the Quilt As You Go technique where you work on each block individually. The first one I attempted to make a couple years ago, came out all crooked! The sashings didn't line up right. You are not suppose to be able to tell each block in individually connected - when the sashings line up right front and back - it appears to be one long piece! Anyway, I don't do hand work much at all any more. I tried on that first quilt to hand sew all the sashing's together - I thought that would look better than the technique the teacher used with MonoPoly thread and a zig zag! I ripped and hand sewed and ripped some more! I finally decided maybe the teacher knew what she was talking about and did her technique! I got hooked. That quilt has no handsewing in the construction! The sashings are connected together with MonoPoly thread and a small zig zag - it is hard to see unless you are really up close! I know a lot of you will say YUCK I hate MonoPoly, I was like that too! But, I am a converted quilter now! I use that technique for all of my bindings! I "USE" to be so anal about "having" to hand sewn some things and I would have never used MonoPoly before! Geeze the quilt police might take me away!

Nancy
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343165[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I would like to see closeups of each and every block. It is interesting to us the technique used in putting each block on the background. I am especially curious about the fishy with the braces.
I too am one of those that always made clothes or did crafts but never made quilts and want to learn more about how to quilt.

Elaine
Elaine, you must be Joe's wife! Hello! Here is the fish with braces made by Candace!
Attached Thumbnails candace-block.jpg