Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Posting another picture and hoping someone can id what the stuff is. I found it under a plate in the undercarriage of the machine. Plate is held in by 2 little screws. I titled the picture the belly of the beast.
Is it old gunky grease? If so, how do I clean it out (what products) and what do I replace it with?
Chris
Chris that is dried up sewing machine grease - at least that is what it looks like from here! I'd get a tooth pick - the plastic ones with brushes really work well! Dig out all that stuff and re-lube with sewing machine lubricant - not grease! You should always use the lubricant on gears, oil everywhere else!

nancy

I see Monica answered, but be careful with Q-tips - they can leave fuzz!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Yes, it is old grease. I would just remove all that oil grease with q tips and toothpicks and then put new grease, Singer lubricant, on.

That machine looks very heavy. He is a handsome machine!
Thanks. He is both heavy and handsome. I did degrease the plate cover with qtips so will do the same with the old grease. The manual didn't even id this area or that it needed lubricant/grease.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Posting another picture and hoping someone can id what the stuff is. I found it under a plate in the undercarriage of the machine. Plate is held in by 2 little screws. I titled the picture the belly of the beast.
Is it old gunky grease? If so, how do I clean it out (what products) and what do I replace it with?
Chris
I betcha that will run smoother when you get that all cleaned out and re-greased.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Chris that is dried up sewing machine grease - at least that is what it looks like from here! I'd get a tooth pick - the plastic ones with brushes really work well! Dig out all that stuff and re-lube with sewing machine lubricant - not grease! You should always use the lubricant on gears, oil everywhere else!

nancy

I see Monica answered, but be careful with Q-tips - they can leave fuzz!
Nancy; Thanks for the rply and will be careful with the fuzz. Will get major stuff with them and the switch to something else. Thanks for the helpful advice.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I betcha that will run smoother when you get that all cleaned out and re-greased.
I am thinking it will help. Does this machine look like any of yours?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
I will be picking up my new to me Necchi, Supernova, tomorrow, I am so excited! I didn't realize that there are Necchi, cabinets. Of course, why not. Will the Necchi, fit into other cabinets, Singer, Franklin, etc, that anyone knows of?
I saw a picture of a parlor cabinet, very nice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35557704@N04/5825393355/

Thank you.
Anamaria, it is so exciting to get a new machine isn't it? Please post pictures as soon as you can so we can admire it too!

Nancy
Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I am thinking it will help. Does this machine look like any of yours?
I'm not sure if I still have the one like that or if I sold it. I have a bunch that are lighter weight but made like that. The ones I have left look like they have never been used - looks like they were from a dealer. They have set around a long time and need to be checked over and cleaned. I'd like to get rid of them.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 PM

Anamaria, That Necchi is in a very nice base. So, you will not need to worry about putting in a cabinet right away for you to use. It can sit on a table for some time until you find a Necchi cabinet. I have seen the non treadle Necchi cabinets on Cl from time to time. Oh, and those Necchis are very heavy machines; so, place it in a spot that it can sit for a long period of time, but at the same time you can use it.

I forgot about that pristine base.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, the slanted part of the outlet is for the foot control. I don't have that extra bit you have. I suspect yours is like that because it was in a table and came that way originally for the knee control or was rewired by someone? If you don't need the foot control you are set to go! Many of these machines have been reconfigured to bypass the foot control/outlet combo because they are near impossible to get and cost a fortune. If you can somehow take a picture of how the wiring meets the inside of the machine, I'd love to see that. Because, maybe I can rig something like what you have!

The vintage Pfaff yahoo group has lots of info. Are you a member?
No, I am not a member of the Pfaff yahoo group, but I am a member of Yahoo in horse groups! I probably should join the Pfaff group!

Ok, we decided that slanted plug side had to be for a foot pedal, but why? I would think the foot pedal would just be mounted in a cabinet if it were sold as a knee control? Why configure a second outlet for a knee control?

Candace, I see now going back and looking at your plug that there are two wires coming from that plug. One goes to the foot control and one plugs into your house receptacle? I will get my machine back out and take more photos - we put it away just to get things straightened since I can't use it anyway. No I am not putting it into a cabinet so I can use the knee control - I need a foot control or Rod will just have to put a longer cord on the knee control. It looks like I am good to go. I don't need that fancy cord? I will take it this week to a repair guy and see what he says. It runs fine, light and all, with the plug from the Sterling and only using the left side of the plug!

Nancy

Oh and Candace be patient - I have to get Rod to help me with this machine! He put it away for me - it weighs over 40 lbs! I will post more photos for you as soon as I can get him to get it out again! I have a torn rotator cuff - having surgery later this summer - so I have a hard time lifting right now!

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-24-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Ok, we decided that slanted plug side had to be for a foot pedal, but why? I would think the foot pedal would just be mounted in a cabinet if it was sold as a knee control? Why configure a second outlet for a knee control?

Nancy, my guess is that the machine was easier to get up and down in the cabinet