Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, the slanted part of the outlet is for the foot control. I don't have that extra bit you have. I suspect yours is like that because it was in a table and came that way originally for the knee control or was rewired by someone? If you don't need the foot control you are set to go! Many of these machines have been reconfigured to bypass the foot control/outlet combo because they are near impossible to get and cost a fortune. If you can somehow take a picture of how the wiring meets the inside of the machine, I'd love to see that. Because, maybe I can rig something like what you have!

The vintage Pfaff yahoo group has lots of info. Are you a member?
I wonder if those machines were changed out when they were imported? I highly doubt if that control cord is recent. Nancy's machine is hardwired for a knee control - that machine was in a table. The girl I got it from kept the table but didn't want the machine. She said that was the only cord she got with it when grandma died. She said her mom and aunts sewed all their clothes on it back when they were teenagers. From the looks of it they didn't do much. Then the machine sat in her grandma's hall for years. My husband says it wouldn't be hard to make the cord longer.

Candace, I'm betting you could rig your machine to do the same. Probably a matter of pulling wires from the foot control port and patching in a wire and foot control. I'm betting that is a really dandy machine when it works properly.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Folks- Deb Rowden put my quilt on her blog! debrowden.blogspot.com I'm excited! Laura
How pretty! Cool way to use up the odd scraps!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Default New Home Light Running

Hope the pictures are sized properly now.
Attached Thumbnails front-nh-light-running.jpg   face-plate.jpg   handwheel.jpg   tophat-wedge.jpg   motor-wedge.jpg  

motor-without-wedge.jpg   underside-new-home.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Jenn, Jenn... did you go back and get that Federation machine???
Well...I tried to. The lady still had it but wasn't interested in selling it unless I paid 185, which is way too much. She said she paid that for it at an auction so she wasn't going to budge. Shame too since she doesn't know anything about them and just has it sitting on her back porch. It will be destroyed in this Texas heat in no time.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Default Unknown Gunk

Posting another picture and hoping someone can id what the stuff is. I found it under a plate in the undercarriage of the machine. Plate is held in by 2 little screws. I titled the picture the belly of the beast.
Is it old gunky grease? If so, how do I clean it out (what products) and what do I replace it with?
Chris
Attached Thumbnails belly-beast-001.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
I will be picking up my new to me Necchi, Supernova, tomorrow, I am so excited! I didn't realize that there are Necchi, cabinets. Of course, why not. Will the Necchi, fit into other cabinets, Singer, Franklin, etc, that anyone knows of?
I saw a picture of a parlor cabinet, very nice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35557704@N04/5825393355/

Thank you.
Anamarie, My Necchi Supernova Ultra fit without any problems into my Singer straightleg cabinet. Some claim that the pinholes in some of the Necchi need to be resized to fit the Singer hinge pins, but that wasn't the case at all for me. I haven't tried to place the Necchi in my other Singer cabinets; so, I don't know if it fits the other cabinets.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Nancy, Now I see what you are stating about the belt.
Oh, and I love that nail polish that you are wearing.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Need some help. The feed dog bar on my New Glenwood (National?) rides against a cam/knuckle on another bar that come from a connector at the bottom of the column. However, it appears it is missing some kind of spring or other piece that holds the feed dog bar against the cam. Anyone have any ideas what should be there? The machine is trying to sew, but the feed dogs just kind of bob around and don't move the fabric. When my DH holds the bar against the cam, the feed dogs move properly. Do I need a picture? If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it!!
Janice a photo always helps!

Nancy
Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Posting another picture and hoping someone can id what the stuff is. I found it under a plate in the undercarriage of the machine. Plate is held in by 2 little screws. I titled the picture the belly of the beast.
Is it old gunky grease? If so, how do I clean it out (what products) and what do I replace it with?
Chris
Yes, it is old grease. I would just remove all that oil grease with q tips and toothpicks and then put new grease, Singer lubricant, on.

That machine looks very heavy. He is a handsome machine!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Well...I tried to. The lady still had it but wasn't interested in selling it unless I paid 185, which is way too much. She said she paid that for it at an auction so she wasn't going to budge. Shame too since she doesn't know anything about them and just has it sitting on her back porch. It will be destroyed in this Texas heat in no time.
That's machine with the gorgeous decals, right? Sad to see that happen to any machine, but that one had such nice decals.