Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I just looked on etsy - yikes, I might have a goldmine if they are really selling that stuff for those prices.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I just looked on etsy - yikes, I might have a goldmine if they are really selling that stuff for those prices.
It makes great dog and cat beds for the local humane society because it is so durable a material. I have some really ugly stuff that will be well received there becaue thankfully the animals are colorblind.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
It makes great dog and cat beds for the local humane society because it is so durable a material. I have some really ugly stuff that will be well received there becaue thankfully the animals are colorblind.
I have a piece that could make you go blind...
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM

I have a piece that could make you go blind...
No thanks but appreciate the offer....
Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
So in doing a little history and research online today I came across a photo collection site that Frank put together of the Sewing machine museum showcasing many of the machines. I thought y'all might enjoy taking a look at the collection. I have spotted my Davis treadle in photos so far but I've only gone through a fraction of them. Anyway, lots of gorgeous machines to drool over.

I should probably add that there are alot of small bits and pieces that we found on the ground in there, drawer covers, panels to treadle cabinets, screws, etc. and since she didnt feel like dealing with them, she said I could have them all, so once we get it all cleaned out I'll post pics of what there is and if y'all see something that you could use to restore a machine I will share them. I just told her NOT to throw anything away unless it was a cardboard box

http://sewingmachinemuseumusafirst.w...m/apps/photos/
I went to the site and looked at all the pictures. How I wish I had paid more attention to the machines when I was there visiting the museum. Makes me sad to think how much the owner, Frank loved them all and that they are scattered here and there, missing or damaged from storage. Guess my beloved machines will have the same fate, to a much smaller scale.. On a brighter note. I did go to the garage sale where some of the machines were for sale. There was a beautiful, damaged New Home, but I did not have $200, nor would I have paid that for it. I think Jenn got the best one, the Davis VF2. The unusual ones, the people having the sale have kept (I don't blame them) I did buy a Ruby that is missing a couple of parts, shuttle and stitch length lever. I have a Ruby whose body is in bad shape, so between the two of them, I will have a pretty nice one. For $2.00 I couldn't leave her there. I bought a Singer/Wheeler Wilson Model 9 too. It is in decent shape with a bobbin and all the parts. It is one I have been wanting to find, since I have a WW9 treadle machine so I can treadle it as well. I paid $5.00 for it and was happy. I haven't taken pictures yet. DH sisters have come in from New York to see their brother now he is out of the hospital, so I won't take any pictures until next week. It did feel good to get out and machine shop for the first time in over 2 months.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
I went to the site and looked at all the pictures. How I wish I had paid more attention to the machines when I was there visiting the museum. Makes me sad to think how much the owner, Frank loved them all and that they are scattered here and there, missing or damaged from storage. Guess my beloved machines will have the same fate, to a much smaller scale.. On a brighter note. I did go to the garage sale where some of the machines were for sale. There was a beautiful, damaged New Home, but I did not have $200, nor would I have paid that for it. I think Jenn got the best one, the Davis VF2. The unusual ones, the people having the sale have kept (I don't blame them) I did buy a Ruby that is missing a couple of parts, shuttle and stitch length lever. I have a Ruby whose body is in bad shape, so between the two of them, I will have a pretty nice one. For $2.00 I couldn't leave her there. I bought a Singer/Wheeler Wilson Model 9 too. It is in decent shape with a bobbin and all the parts. It is one I have been wanting to find, since I have a WW9 treadle machine so I can treadle it as well. I paid $5.00 for it and was happy. I haven't taken pictures yet. DH sisters have come in from New York to see their brother now he is out of the hospital, so I won't take any pictures until next week. It did feel good to get out and machine shop for the first time in over 2 months.
I'm glad you got some good finds and shop time is therapeutic isn't it?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/3156255748.html
Read the ad. Just too good not to post here.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 PM

I'm glad you got some good finds and shop time is therapeutic isn't it?
Very much so. Having a bit of buyers remorse that I didn't pick up another one. Oh well----
Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 AM

Someone gave me a big box of double knit poly from 1970s - how do you get rid of that?
I've seen quilts but I just don't have the stomach for it.
miriam i am with you on this i cannot imagine making quilts outta double knit especially if it's the thick one. but for the ugly quilt project where they are giving these quilts to the homeless it makes since. they would need something very hardy.

the pet beds are an idea. a quilter here gave me a huge box of corduroy pieces so i stopped at a free yard giveaway and got 2 comforters to cut up to make pet beds for the rescue groups. i will also check into making pet beds for the humane society.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Hello,

I am sure somewhere in the 3700 post it list a place to purchase parts for singer treadle machines, I just don't have the time to look through all the post. Maybe someone can help, I am looking for a face plate for a singer 1918(I think) serial number G6559048....also did this model come with the different feet? I have the bobbins the bobbin holder is a bullet shape and the bobbins look like spools. I have had this machine for 40 years....bought it at a yard sale for 25.00 and the man that sold it showed my husband how to restore the cabinet and bring out the natural wood it is really pretty.

I just purchased a treadle at a yard sale this morning for 75.00 and I think it is 1926 serial number AA916206 it came with all the attachments and even the book was with it....needs some TLC but I think it will be fine.

Thank You for your help,
Roseanna (Jazzmyn)