Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Most likely that cabinet maybe. So, you think this one is a repo of the model made in the 50s?!!
My guess is that it's of fairly recent Asian (Chinese?) manufacture like the 'Butterfly' machine, probably not as solid a machine as the postwar Japanese version. (BTW treadles are still made, since there are still places where electricity is not an option.) But I haven't seen it, so could be completely wrong. FWIW! Pretty thing, though.

pat
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
My guess is that it's of fairly recent Asian (Chinese?) manufacture like the 'Butterfly' machine, probably not as solid a machine as the postwar Japanese version. (BTW treadles are still made, since there are still places where electricity is not an option.) But I haven't seen it, so could be completely wrong. FWIW! Pretty thing, though.

pat
I went back to reread the one person's blog this morning since I read her blog at 1 am. Well, she states that her mom once had a Singer in a treadle. Mom replaced that Singer with a Flying Man, but kept the treadle.

This machine does look similar to the "Butterfly" machines.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
I thought this was interesting, the machine and cabinet are beautiful!!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/art/3119073521.html
I've seen the handcrank version of those. They are made in China and sold in rural areas. I knew someone whose grandma brought on over. It seemed like a nice simple, straight stitch machine that turned over well, although I didn't sew on it. I am fascinated that there are large parts of the world that have so little access to electricity that these machines are commercially viable. We are just so lucky in this country. My grandparents were immigrants here, and I bless them every day that I was born here! Laura
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
I've seen the handcrank version of those. They are made in China and sold in rural areas. I knew someone whose grandma brought on over. It seemed like a nice simple, straight stitch machine that turned over well, although I didn't sew on it. I am fascinated that there are large parts of the world that have so little access to electricity that these machines are commercially viable. We are just so lucky in this country. My grandparents were immigrants here, and I bless them every day that I was born here! Laura
My mom came over as an indenture servant after WWII. Whenever my siblings and I would start to complain about whatever was lacking, she would always remind us how fortunate we were (and are today). She would tell us of bombings and going hungry- and yes, going without electricity. I remember as a very young child visiting my grandmother in Germany and seeing a treadle. I just can't remember what type. I'm sure that treadle was dragged from one bombed out home to another. My mom said she never could get the hang of treadling. She is surprised that I can treadle. Yes, it is wonderful to live where we have electricity since I can treadle at night with a small light over the sewing area....although the other night I believe almost every light in the house was on. I'm happy we still have fresh water.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM

We tend to take our blessings for granted, don't we? (I know *I* do!!)

I've been thinking a lot about which machines I would keep if I had to downsize...it's hard, because I really like some of my e-machines, but if I had to be without electricity, I'd want one of the treadles or the handcrank!!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
We tend to take our blessings for granted, don't we? (I know *I* do!!)

I've been thinking a lot about which machines I would keep if I had to downsize...it's hard, because I really like some of my e-machines, but if I had to be without electricity, I'd want one of the treadles or the handcrank!!
Yup!! Whenever I'm feeling blue or sorry for myself because of whatever reason, I remind myself that there are those in the world less fortunate.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 PM

WOW a lot to catch up on. We were in the storm that went through so many states last Friday. Our power just came back on last night. Had to go out today and get ready for the next one used everything up. But on a happy note, on Tuesday I went into my sewing shop and treadled on one of my machines. DH asked if I needed to use a kerosene lamp too. But, with the power out and the heat it was nice to escape for a while.

Randa sorry to hear about your sister. Hope the best for her.
Jan hope you and your hubby will be home soon and that he gets better.
Charlee glad you finally got a 301 I have about 5 of them and I sew on all of them. DH fixes all the machines we get and I sew on them but always go back to my little 301. Nancy same for you but I know you already have the short bed.
Glenn glad you and your DW had a good trip. We have a Franklin machine in a treadle cabinet that is a copy of a 127 and I have used it a few time and have left it in the sewing shop to use along with my other favorites. My DH has been working on our 1886 Sears and Roebuck Treadle and he has got it moving and the foot pedel moves freely.

Last edited by Crossstitcher; 07-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post

pat
I have to agree with Pat, my guess is that treadle was made in the 70's or 80's - even though they are still making the repros today! The cabinet is a little dinged up, but that is to be expected as I'd guess it to be 30 years old or so.

Nancy
Old 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

Underneath that obese plastic shell is a skeletonized aluminum frame. It's made from recycled beer cans I think. I have a Singer 3810 and had to pull the shell off of it to fix the bobbin winder clutch thing and that is what I found. I neglected to take pics of it though. Just wanted it fixed and off my bench.

Darth Vader is an appropriate name for it though. I'd like to put one through a do or die torture test. IE, give it to my wife and tell her to use it like you do the Bernina. I wonder how quick it would die?

Joe
Joe, I thought Darth Vader was a perfect name too as that machine is 'cloaked' in so much black plastic! I don't know why Singer made it so huge when it really has a limited amount of stitches, is not an embroidery machine - it is just covered literally with plastic! I really wanted one until I saw it in person! It is still cool to own as it is an anniversary model, but I'd never want to take it out to any sewing classes as it is really large and extremely noisey! There is nothing under most of that plastic to keep it from rattling! It is really a very simple machine. Oh well, I am sure if I had the chance I'd get one, just because!

Nancy
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
My mom came over as an indenture servant after WWII. Whenever my siblings and I would start to complain about whatever was lacking, she would always remind us how fortunate we were (and are today). She would tell us of bombings and going hungry- and yes, going without electricity. I remember as a very young child visiting my grandmother in Germany and seeing a treadle. I just can't remember what type. I'm sure that treadle was dragged from one bombed out home to another. My mom said she never could get the hang of treadling. She is surprised that I can treadle. Yes, it is wonderful to live where we have electricity since I can treadle at night with a small light over the sewing area....although the other night I believe almost every light in the house was on. I'm happy we still have fresh water.
Yes, I think at times we all tend to forget how fortunate we are. What I really worry about are the kids - and I mean everyone from 25 down who've never wanted for a thing! They won't know how to cope if they ever have to scrimp like most of the rest of us had to! A lot of our young people have had everything handed to them - most of them have no idea what hardship really is. Yes, I realize some kids haven't had it so easy, but the majority around where I live are just handed everything - they don't have to earn a thing! They get a car when they turn 16, they don't have to work - they are going to be in for a real shock when they get out into the real world!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.