Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/3143494990.html I wonder if it is for sale or for exhibit?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM

I used to have a white 221 also with an EY serial #, and never found the date through Singer. Definitely not EV. Think I still have the # recorded somewhere. I foolishly sold cheaply it to a lady who coveted it, only to find she already had several FW's and was giving it to her daughter! Live and learn.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Janis, good score on the white fw. Miriam, I like the idea of the collapsable rolling cooler. My experience with them, is not as air-tight as you would think, but what keeps moisture in, should keep moisture out as well. Louisiana is famous for the humidity, so I am going to try it next time I need a case. My husband got a cooler in dirty Santa a couple of years back, that needs to find a use, because we have regular hardside coolers out the wazz. On my list of ideas.

That binding machine looks neat. Very industrial. I wonder what it put bindings on in its original purpose. If it was tents or something heavy, I would think you could just sew with it as well, like upholstery type fabrics, and make it easy. Cool table it is in as well.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Janis, good score on the white fw. Miriam, I like the idea of the collapsable rolling cooler. My experience with them, is not as air-tight as you would think, but what keeps moisture in, should keep moisture out as well. Louisiana is famous for the humidity, so I am going to try it next time I need a case. My husband got a cooler in dirty Santa a couple of years back, that needs to find a use, because we have regular hardside coolers out the wazz. On my list of ideas.

That binding machine looks neat. Very industrial. I wonder what it put bindings on in its original purpose. If it was tents or something heavy, I would think you could just sew with it as well, like upholstery type fabrics, and make it easy. Cool table it is in as well.
It might do the job joining the front of the tent and the walls. I kind of doubt if it has the moxy to pull the canvas through - and I'm not sure about the thickness of the canvas on one of those machines. Besides it isn't that hard to roll it by hand.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
I would like a thread on Kenmores. I have nothing against the Kenmore, I just have so many machines right now. I have to draw a line somewhere. I'm going to clean it up and donate it to the Mana Center. They'll get something for it and someone will get a pretty good machine.
Almost all the Kenmore manuals are available on the sears site. Some parts are still available, as well. I think all the Kenmores were decent enough, some excellent, except for the one made in the Chyrsler factory, that has a chain drive.. Laura
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Almost all the Kenmore manuals are available on the sears site. Some parts are still available, as well. I think all the Kenmores were decent enough, some excellent, except for the one made in the Chyrsler factory, that has a chain drive.. Laura
chain drive?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM

I'm at the Oregon coast (Newport), and just took possession of "Katherine", the 301! She stitches beautifully!! Fairly clean machine too. The inside of the manual has a handwritten note:
July 30, 1953 $227.50, $4.55 ST, $232.05

So, according to the inflation calculator, in today's dollar, this machine would cost $1869.72!! No wonder the lady that sold it to me said her grandmother was very excited to have a "fancy machine" when she bought it new!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'm at the Oregon coast (Newport), and just took possession of "Katherine", the 301! She stitches beautifully!! Fairly clean machine too. The inside of the manual has a handwritten note:

So, according to the inflation calculator, in today's dollar, this machine would cost $1869.72!! No wonder the lady that sold it to me said her grandmother was very excited to have a "fancy machine" when she bought it new!
Wow, I had no idea they cost so much new.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM

I didn't either Candace...that was a pretty spendy machine in the day!!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post

Glad you got your hands on your new baby!! Fancy indeed!! My machine must have been bought by newlyweds, because the owner wrote in at least 5 places, Mrs. Manly M. Man(I am protecting her privacy), like she was practicing her new name. It's a shame you already named her Katherine, because she could have been Fancy. Although Fancy may have not been what a lady wanted to be called in 1953. But a fancy sewing machine would be something else.

Enjoy the family reunion.