Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Karen,

Please ignore the second picture. That red arrow is for another issue. I should have deleted it. Sorry.

Cathy
Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Karen,

Take the face plate off. The screw marked in red will allow you to rotate your presser bar. Lower the presser bar, so that the foot is on the feetdogs. "Pop" the screw. This means turn it just enough so that you know it has moved (you will hear a 'pop'). The bar will still be tight at this point but can be rotated. Align the foot with the feeddogs and then tighten the screw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]420602[/ATTACH]
Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 PM

Thank You Cathy
I will try this tomorrow.
~Karen
Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I need help! I have been working on my Singer 99-23 or 24. I got it sewing let it set or a couple of days then brought it into my sewing room and tried to sew with it....Some how the bar that the foot goes on has twisted to the right? I can't see the needle hole when the foot is down and the needle comes to rest on top of the foot. I have tried raping the end in a heavy towel and turning with pliers no go. then put Tri-oil on it over night and tried again nothing. I am totatly blown away about how this happened. the motor did run very fast and bounced a little before I got it slowed down.... Now I just want to get it sewing, my best machine is in getting a belt installed. 6 weeks now. And I need to get some blocks done for an exchange.
I posted some pics if anyone can help me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]420592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]420593[/ATTACH] Thanks for any help
~Karen
Karen,

Wow! That is the crookedest pressure foot I've seen to date. Cathy has given you perfect advice so I won't add to what she said, but I will elaborate on it just a wee bit. If your eyes sometimes do not line things up well, here is a tip. I have two small metal rulers. I lay one against the feed dogs then lower the presser foot. Lay the second ruler on top of the first but up against the side of the foot. The longer rulers will make seeing the misalignment much easier. I've done quite a few like this and it works pretty good.

Joe
Old 06-23-2013, 05:18 AM

Karen,

Please ignore the second picture. That red arrow is for another issue. I should have deleted it. Sorry.

Cathy
Cathy,

I ... AM ... JEALOUS! Well, maybe a wee bit envious. In all the sewing machines I have, not one has a gen - u - wine "THE SINGER COMPANY" marked light bulb. That is a shame.

Joe
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Billy I can't seem to bring the cleaning series's that you have posted. Could you email to me please. Just joined your group and I have a 221-1 and a 221 a 66 Red eye, a 99, and a 15-90. These all need tlc. Vonnie
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

The cleaning series has been deleted - better to use Muv's videos located in the sticky notes but in case you can't find them here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
Muv does a great job of telling you how to clean up your machine with out ruining it or requiring it sent to someone for repairs after you mess it up...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Karen,

Take the face plate off. The screw marked in red will allow you to rotate your presser bar. Lower the presser bar, so that the foot is on the feetdogs. "Pop" the screw. This means turn it just enough so that you know it has moved (you will hear a 'pop'). The bar will still be tight at this point but can be rotated. Align the foot with the feeddogs and then tighten the screw.
Great advice. I would offer one thing first. Change the foot with another one of the same type first. Make sure that it is not a defective foot before starting the work. Especially if it was working fine and after a period of sitting time it is not. I would suspect something happened that I was not aware of. Like ones with small fingers and inquisitive minds.
~G~
Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 AM

Agree with Grant, and to add, aftermarket feet sometimes fit different than OEM feet. I always try to keep some OEM type feet on hand for checking machines with crooked feet, before I adjust them.

Joe
Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM

Wow Cathy! that worked like perfection, it must have been in a bind because when I loosened the screw it turned back to almost the correct spot by itself. just a tiny nudge and it was perfect.
Grant & Joe, I had gotten a foot with a 1/4" guide on it from sew-classic, when I put it on is when I noticed that something had changed greatly, I had the first foot (simanco) off for sometime as I was cleaning the SM.
In the second photo I was trying to show the angle that the bar was twisted. I was able to gently turn the bar until it was lined up perfect with the old foot on it.
I get such great advise on here, I feel truly blessed for having found this great place and the wonderful people on here.
~Karen
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Wow Cathy! that worked like perfection, it must have been in a bind because when I loosened the screw it turned back to almost the correct spot by itself. just a tiny nudge and it was perfect.
Grant & Joe, I had gotten a foot with a 1/4" guide on it from sew-classic, when I put it on is when I noticed that something had changed greatly, I had the first foot (simanco) off for sometime as I was cleaning the SM.
In the second photo I was trying to show the angle that the bar was twisted. I was able to gently turn the bar until it was lined up perfect with the old foot on it.
I get such great advise on here, I feel truly blessed for having found this great place and the wonderful people on here.
~Karen
Karen, you are welcome. The advice was not only for you but for others reading this now and in the future too looking for similar advice. It may have been something that might have saved you some time and effort but for others that just "lurk" here too and may want some advice on how to make this adjustment/repair as well. I am very glad that you were able to fix your machine but others can gain by your great example as well. I have done this repair myself and it can be intimidating to be able to get it right. Sometimes all we need is a little direction. We all can imagine the problems and the horror that could happen if that needle came down on the foot. Not pretty.
~G~