Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Got an Adler today for $5 at a yard sale. No attachments minus the presser foot on the machine and no manula either but it came with a green Singer button holer with 9 cams. I haven't figured out much except that it sews! However, the fancy stitch selector know doesn't move (Tri-flow job probably) and neither does a knob on the side which currently has "U" showing but it does have something else there. Mostly clean so far but needs a Tri-flow applied to several spots and a new needle.
If anyone has info about the threading of the beast, I would be most appreciative. It is a 2-tone very pretty green with darker green up top and a model # of 310-B. Badge says Belvedere Adler with a J-A3 #. I know its made in Japan.

Chris
Check here and see what you can find: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207877.html

or here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html

Here is a generic manual but it is only for a zz machine http://www.dontai.com/wp/images/imperial-535-manual.pdf

You will need to go over the cam stuff with T-F multiple times. The knobs do tend to freeze up. Lots of good light so you can see what is trying to move - then hit it with T-F Then some time out.

Last edited by miriam; 06-21-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Sorry to say it looks like a Domestic. Davis didn't have this bed shape and there is not enough space to the left of the needle to be a Davis.

Cathy
Davis didn't do the leaf tension, did they? (Honestly don't know...)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Davis didn't do the leaf tension, did they? (Honestly don't know...)
Yes some Davis machines have a leaf tension I have a couple. I agree with Cathy I don't think this is a VF
Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Sorry all, I was look at the foot mainly. A little knowledge can leave you with egg on your face.

~ Karen
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Sorry all, I was look at the foot mainly. A little knowledge can leave you with egg on your face.

~ Karen
We collectors always end up with egg on our face. And it will not be the last time. We are all learning.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Here's a nicely done ID to Davis Vertical Feeds:

http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

Jon

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I'm learning guys !I can recognize this as a Davis vertical feed-- they are calling it a Singer. Someone please rescue it! I'm too far away

http://bend.craigslist.org/atq/3864041668.html
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Here's a nicely done ID to Davis Vertical Feeds:

http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

Jon
Great site Jon than you for the info and thank you for your help with my NVF on the yahoo group I will post pic when done with the cleaning
Skip
Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I think if you learn it all you better watch out... something will sneak up on you. When you quit learning you get rather dull..... There is so much to learn. My sister and I were just talking about a couple years ago when we worked up the nerve to pull a bent needle shaft off a machine and trade it out for a donor. She didn't tell me she didn't have a clue what to do. She just sat there and told me I could do it... Here I thought she was reading the manual and telling me what to do. She said she just kept track of where I was. She said she was totally lost otherwise. Then she said she hasn't had to do one but she knows she could. I probably have only seen the Davis VF at Glenn's place. There really is a lot to learn.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I think if you learn it all you better watch out... something will sneak up on you. When you quit learning you get rather dull..... There is so much to learn. My sister and I were just talking about a couple years ago when we worked up the nerve to pull a bent needle shaft off a machine and trade it out for a donor. She didn't tell me she didn't have a clue what to do. She just sat there and told me I could do it... Here I thought she was reading the manual and telling me what to do. She said she just kept track of where I was. She said she was totally lost otherwise. Then she said she hasn't had to do one but she knows she could. I probably have only seen the Davis VF at Glenn's place. There really is a lot to learn.
Miriam you are so right. So much to learn it boggles the mind sometimes on these old machines but it is great fun. I will never quit learning. Always something new with these old vintage machines.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Glenn,

My pleasure. Can't wait to see the Davis when done.

Jon

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Great site Jon than you for the info and thank you for your help with my NVF on the yahoo group I will post pic when done with the cleaning
Skip