Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I think I'll keep him!

Alan, from Needlebar thinks it may have come from the base of a Singer 13 treadle. He says that cutting the medallions out of the bases has become popular in Germany, and I can see in the photo he used for an example that it's a real possibility, even tho I can't find any grinder marks on it.

Heh! No matter, it looks way cool on the wall!!
Charlee, it seems kinda weird that the Singer emblem would be something Germans would want to cut out and make into decorations. I would think the German people would do that with a German made machine like the Pfaff or one of the other German companies? Maybe, your emblem was actually made for a decoration by Singer - or who ever cut it out did a great job then repainted it! Anyway, the emblem is really cool. That is something I can see that Billy would of wanted when he was decorating everything with Singer signs, etc..

Nancy
Old 08-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
only downside to the Morse is the weight. I can barely lift mine. if i found one in a table though....laura
The weight is why I chose to sell my blue Morse. I have plenty of really heavy machines, but the Morse was in a case - very heavy - with the case it took up a lot of space too! If I had the room, I'd of kept that machine just because of its looks!

Nancy
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
too bad you don't live close - I must have 40 or 50 tables to get rid of...
Geeze, Miriam - 40 or 50 tables! How in the world do you store that many tables? I know you have a shop, but that is a lot of tables to fit anywhere! We are currently re-finishing the cabinet my pink Sterling came in for one of my granddaughters who has been using that machine and loves it! I have so many straight stitch only machines that I am really becoming enamored with the Japanese zig zag models like the Sterling and my SewMor! The only problem is those machines are dedicated left hand needle machines, which means you don't have your fabric over all the feed dogs when doing a 1/4" seam! I tried sewing a 1/4" on the Sterling - it works because there are 4 feed dogs - you end up with the fabric only going over 2 of the feed dogs. Has anyone actually done any piecing with one of those Japanese dedicated left needle position machines? I think it can be done, but the fabric might have a tendency to pull sideways?

Nancy
Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Geeze, Miriam - 40 or 50 tables! How in the world do you store that many tables? I know you have a shop, but that is a lot of tables to fit anywhere! We are currently re-finishing the cabinet my pink Sterling came in for one of my granddaughters who has been using that machine and loves it! I have so many straight stitch only machines that I am really becoming enamored with the Japanese zig zag models like the Sterling and my SewMor! The only problem is those machines are dedicated left hand needle machines, which means you don't have your fabric over all the feed dogs when doing a 1/4" seam! I tried sewing a 1/4" on the Sterling - it works because there are 4 feed dogs - you end up with the fabric only going over 2 of the feed dogs. Has anyone actually done any piecing with one of those Japanese dedicated left needle position machines? I think it can be done, but the fabric might have a tendency to pull sideways?

Nancy
Yes, for the reasons you stated Nancy, folks tend to stay away from these for piecing machines.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Default Special Thank You

Back in June when DH was in the hospital, Charlee wrote me and told me instead of "flowers" to let me know she was thinking about me, she had our own Jennb, pick up a Wheeler Wilson Treadle base that Charlee had bought for me!!! Now how special is that !!!

Jennb has kept it for me all this time, and yesterday she met me in Ft Worth and brought it to me. Such special people make up this Board. Big thanks to Charlee for my "flowers" that will never wilt and to Jennb for bringing them to me!!

I have oiled them up and it turns like a dream. They are safely tucked away until fall, and hopefully I can put them to use with another head that I will write about soon.

DH is still home, and we go back to the oncologist next Wednesday to see if he is going to need another round of chemo and hospital time.

Texas Jan

Here are my new Irons
Attached Thumbnails ww-treadle-front.jpg   ww-treadle-side.jpg   ww-treadle-close-up.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Default My Singer 9W7

I'm not sure that is the right name?? I got this head from the same sale that Jennb bought so much from. It has the number on the back of the pillar 3163402. Can anyone date this one closer to 1909 to 1913? Now I can get her going and put her on the new Wheeler Wilson irons that Charlee gave me. She has all her parts and is turning. I paid $5.00 for her, so I was happy. Got another machine head the same day, but when I went to take pictures, my camera batteries went dead. Maybe later today they will get charged up.

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails front-before.jpg   back-before.jpg   face-before.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
I'm not sure that is the right name?? I got this head from the same sale that Jennb bought so much from. It has the number on the back of the pillar 3163402. Can anyone date this one closer to 1909 to 1913? Now I can get her going and put her on the new Wheeler Wilson irons that Charlee gave me. She has all her parts and is turning. I paid $5.00 for her, so I was happy. Got another machine head the same day, but when I went to take pictures, my camera batteries went dead. Maybe later today they will get charged up.

Texas Jan

Ahh I didn't realize YOU got that one! It was one of 2 others I was hoping she still had when I went back on Thursday....At least I know its going to a nice home She had a 66 with the Tiffany/gingerbread decals I was hoping to score too but it was gone My husband is probably happy about that...

I'm so glad we were finally able to meet up, and can't wait till we can properly spend some time admiring all your girls.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea how many cabinets I have - some are in pieces some are on top of others. I have all sizes, makes and models. Most don't have much for drawers but one or two have a couple nice drawers. I have a couple school tables that fold out real nice too. Many of the tables came with the hoard of sewing machines and will have to be reunited. I have an empty house with 2 garages - one garage is DHs and the other is my little shop. The house if full of cabinets right now. It was cheaper to buy the place than renting a storage unit for DH's business. Then we bought the house next door. The house next door will be a lot nicer when we get it all fixed up - it is the house with the PI and other poison plants in the yard (jungle).

We are waiting for Glenn and Pat to get here so we can play. Eat your hearts out everybody.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Ahh I didn't realize YOU got that one! It was one of 2 others I was hoping she still had when I went back on Thursday....At least I know its going to a nice home She had a 66 with the Tiffany/gingerbread decals I was hoping to score too but it was gone My husband is probably happy about that...

I'm so glad we were finally able to meet up, and can't wait till we can properly spend some time admiring all your girls.
Yep, I jumped right on her the first day. Had been wanting one for awhile. We will have a great time drooling over each others machines. One day soon, I hope.

Texas Jan
Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Do you have one with lots of drawers and a fold over top? On the large side maybe? Looking for a work table to use as a machine test bed for those I've worked on. Doesn't need to be mint just useable without having to work on it first.

Joe
I have a coffin top table that you could have if you lived closer but I believe that's the one that needs a new wood pitman. It only has a couple of drawers but the price is right.
Chris