Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Note to amit11 - if your area is anything like mine a Featherweight would be quite expensive to use only the one time for classes. Unless someone is very fortunate and finds one for a steal they could go for up to $500 each. If you just want one for classes - go to Walmart and get a Brother for less than $100.
TwandasMom, I have to say I don't agree with this statement at all. The $100 machines at Walmart are usually the bottom of the line machines. They are not meant to be used except occassionally! If you want a really good machine that won't cause you headaches, that will last forever, spend the $100 to $350 and get a 301 or a FW. Those machine will last forever, and you can service them yourself. If you want decorative stitches then spend $50 to $100 for a really nice vintage machine that does decorative stitches. Or go to a sewing machine shop and invest in a good plastic machine! A good sewing machine is an investment - but, you will never regret that you got the 'good' one! Down the road, it will be the cheaper machine to get as it will keep on going year after year.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 09-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

I'm looking forward to next month's Girl's Night Out.
Now I need to find a machine to bring <VBG>

Cathy
Cathy, what is wrong with your little cute featherweight? I bet it would appreciate being used a little!

Nancy
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
TwandasMom, I have to say I don't agree with this statement at all. The $100 machines at Walmart are usually the bottom of the line machines. They are not meant to be used except occassionally! If you want a really good machine that won't cause you headaches, that will last forever, spend the $100 to $350 and get a 301 or a FW. Those machine will last forever, and you can service them yourself. If you want decorative stitches then spend $50 to $100 for a really nice vintage machine that does decorative stitches. Or go to a sewing machine shop and invest in a good plastic machine!

Nancy

Nancy
There are MANY MANY good quality vintage machines other than the FW and 301 - those seem to be a status symbol of some sort. Plenty of other machines will be good sturdy last forever machines with out the expense. Some might weight a ton but they won't dance off the table either. You want something cheap and sews very nice try a Spartan or how about a Singer 404 - neither have that much status but good machines. SS only though. How about some of the Kenmore machines - well designed and sew about anything... I think I've posted time and again how to evaluate a used machine... if you can't find those posts here, there should be stuff if you google search how to buy a vintage sewing machine...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM

I don't think it's status for a $100 machine like a 301, Miriam. A hundred bucks is nothing for a sewing machine in today's market. If I wanted a status symbol I'd get a fancy Bernina. Oh wait, I have a fancy Bernina:> I believe it's more that it's loved by many people and quilters for being a fabulous all around piecing and quilting machine. That's why it's talked about so often. I think most of the women in my guild think I'm poor since I only bring "old" machines to groups. LOL. No status upgrade at all for bringing my 301's.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM

a featherweight isnt a status symbol. atleast to me it isnt. i love the way they look. very similar to my 15-91. i love the shiny black and gold.
and no, the cheapest one from walmart isnt for me. 1. mostly plastic. i like to buy things once and be done. not buy and in 2 years replacing because it is worn out. quality is what i am after.
people and friends and family that know me, know vintage is my thing. i refinish furniture for my house. i redo metal porch gliders. my kitchen...well it could have been in the 50's/60's. my husband even restores old cars and trucks. when the opportunity presents itsself for us to buy another house, it will also be old, and i dont mean 20 years old. its who i am, its what i love. vintage.
my daughter will be using a cheaper machine from walmart or somewhere because she is a beginner. im not going to spend the money on her a vintage machine just for her to realise that sewing isnt something she is really into. me however, it will be used and loved. im not taking the classes for me to "learn to sew", i am taking them with her to give us something to do together and to be there incase she needs help during the class. more than likely when the classes start, i will be the only one with an older machine. at the shop we are taking classes at, is pushing baby locks and other higher end models.
so again, it has nothing to do with a status symbol. and i dont want to buy junk. i asked for other models that were good, i am just more familiar with the featherweights. i received several recommendations on other models and brands, and i am researching.
again, vintage is me. its what i love and what i search for. if i walk into the sewing class with a "new" machine and someone there knows me, im sure i will have some explaining to do. =)
Old 09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

It would be easier to say what machines are junk.
Plastic = JUNK
Stamped metal = JUNK
Some vintage machines ARE better than others. If you can come up with a real nice high end European - some of those are very nice vinatage machines. I'm partial to Elna - the old blue ones are nice. Some people are partial to vintage Pfaff or Viking or Bernina... I think it also depends on how much money you have to burn. If you buy any vintage machine that has been reconditioned, expect to pay a bit more depends too on who reconditioned it. I think the main thing is that you have fun with it. I guess since I learned on a FW I don't see it as any big deal.

Some how I have not been able to load pictures any more - I don't know what changed. I had hoped to load some pics... bummer...
Old 09-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Y'all might recognize yourself in my post.
I went to an estate buyer's yard sale today and was looking through their stuff when one of the guys recognized me as the gal who had bought all 3 of their DSM at the last yard sale. I admitted to it and he said they hadn't acquired any machines lately but would be getting one, possibly 2 next week, and was I interested? Does a bear s**t in the woods??? Of course I was interested and happily gave them my name and number and siad I'd be back home late Wed afternoon and be free to look at them then. They have no idea what the machines are but are happy to know of a potential buyer. I am happy to have potential, close machines to look at and these guys are reasonable on the prices cuz they want to move the merchandise.

Chris
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/3274434777.html
I am looking at this beauty tomorrow. He thinks it's a Singer cabinet. Well, I have plenty of homeless Singers.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/3274434777.html
I am looking at this beauty tomorrow. He thinks it's a Singer cabinet. Well, I have plenty of homeless Singers.
looks like a White cabinet
Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
looks like a White cabinet
Crud, I have one White and it has a cabinet. Could it be modified to fit a Davis?
What makes you say White? Just curious.