Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
You have my attention!! What is that?!? Details please, even if it is just a link.
www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html

Surprisingly, I did perform a Google search and it came up with nothing obvious, except patent details (I figured asking you would save the time of interpreting these)

EDIT: Did a search on models that have it and DL'd a manual for it. Here is a paragraph from a Singer industrial manual
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449344[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails alternating_presser.png  

Last edited by manicmike; 11-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:01 PM

That sounds like an advertisement for my Elna 62C. The presser foot does work exactly like that and was fine for sewing everything from leather belts to silk organza wedding dresses. But for that very reason, it does not quilt well.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 AM

I love learning new things like this! Thanks ManicMike.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I've been fighting with a Kenmore 158.90 - not intuitive. I finally found a video on Utube to figure out how the disks work - well sort of... The stitch length stuck on really short stitches. The disk reader didn't seem to do one of it's tracks well. T-F everywhere. Sewed and sewed and sewed with that machine - Running it in reverse a while did something - I don't know what but the foward stitches are now the right length. I can't tell how much time I've spent on that machine but I know it is a lot. It now sews a nice long stitch. The disks work. There are quite a few weird adjustments but I think I have it figured out. It does a good variety of stitches. I was surprised that none of the disks do a hem stitch or any multi-step zig zag stitches. Some of the disks do a really long few stitches then go into a little decoration. I think those could be cute on straight quilting - it could have intermittent little designs. You can make the designs farther apart and longer but not wider by changing either one of the two settings for the disks or by the stitch length. Does anybody have one of these machines? How do you like it? Any tips?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM

Steve,

Congratulations to your daughter and to you! Although not an attorney myself, I have worked in the field of law for more than 40 years, the last 29 of which have been at the same firm. I realize that there are less than ethical attorneys, but there are far more who are honest, hard-working citizens who contribute a lot to their communities. There are lots of jokes about attorneys -- but it is a noble profession. It's not easy to graduate from law school!

I know you are proud of your daughter! Again, congratulations!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Kenmore 158

Miriam
Do you have a manual? The one I got yesterday is my 1st of this type, it's a 158.1814, don't know how different that is from yours, but I got it because it had all 3 boxes of attachments and a manual. (monogrammer too, but I haven't tried that yet) At first it wasn't zigging at all, but the TF broke it loose, then it was reading to find the proper setting on stitch modifier knob. Does yours have such a control?

Jim
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Charlee,

It's good to see you on the QB again. You are always missed when you're not there. I am really sorry that your sister got hurt -- and no, of course, you wouldn't wish that kind of pain on her. As you said, some good did come out of it! Sure hope there's no repetition for you or any of your family! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Wishing you the best for the Christmas season!J

Jeanette Frantz
Old 12-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Miriam
Do you have a manual? The one I got yesterday is my 1st of this type, it's a 158.1814, don't know how different that is from yours, but I got it because it had all 3 boxes of attachments and a manual. (monogrammer too, but I haven't tried that yet) At first it wasn't zigging at all, but the TF broke it loose, then it was reading to find the proper setting on stitch modifier knob. Does yours have such a control?

Jim
Mine has knobs for sure. I have a manual but some if it is not clear. The instructions did not go in my head until I saw the Utube video. Not ALL of the stitches look exactly like the disks - they are not what I expect anyway. I don't know if it is making them correctly or not. I like it that I can make the patterns longer with the flip of a knob. Mine has a knob on the left - you flip it to put in a disk. Then you have two choices for how long or short the stitches go. You can also flip it to neutral and it will zig zag. There is a zig zag (stitch width) knob in the center - to do the disks it has to be set at 0 - any other setting and it goes into zig zag. Then there is a knob on the right - it has more markings than ability to go to the markings. One direction does the double stitches. If you set the machine on one of the settings it makes very short stitches when you want them long. Below that is the stitch length knob. It was stuck up but good. I oiled it and oiled it. Finally got it to move freely. On some of the disk patterns you can adjust the length and the pattern still works. Some you have to have it set at 0. If the knob above it is in the wrong position it will only make about 400 stitches per inch. exaggeration... When I realized you have to turn that knob above to get it to do a basting stitch things started to get cool for me. I think it is a wee bit complicated though. I'm thinking it would be a PITB for a new sewer to use. I can see myself 50 years ago hauling that one out to the tree stump and using a sledge on it....
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Kenmores are not intuitive machines. You really need to have a manual and follow the instructions to the letter to get them to work. One step at a time. There is a little chart with each stitch in the book that tells you how to set the machine to get the stitch you want. What foot to use, what throat plate, what cam, what setting on each knob and / or levers. They need to be exact.

"IF" the machine is not seized up and is functioning properly following the directions will give you the stitches you expect. If you don't follow the instructions, weird things can happen.

Joe
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Universal Deluxe Zig Zag Machine Model KZM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Not too long ago, I posted that I had my Mama's Universal Deluxe Zig Zag Machine, Model KZM although it was stored at my brother's. A board member needed a copy of the manual and my brother finally sent it to me. I tried to find the posts but no luck and I thought we had PM'd, too. So much for my brain power lately!

If anyone of you need a copy of the manual, I will be glad to make a copy and send it to you. Just PM me!
Carolyn
Hi Carolyn.

I hope you are doing well!

I just stumbled onto your comment pasted above and would like to enquire if your offer still stands. I have a wonderful Royal Deluxe Zig Zag Machine model KZM. It belonged to my grandmother who gave it to me some 20 years or more ago (we used to sew together). We really only used straight stitching when we sewed together so I have no idea what all of the other capabilities of the machine really are. I have been unable to find a manual for the make of the machine, but it looks so much like the Universal Deluxe Zig Zag Machine that I believe the manuals must be interchangeable. Please let me know if you still have your manual and if you are willing to copy it for me.

Warmest of holiday season wishes and kindest regards,

Cheryl