Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 48 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 58 98 148 548 1048 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Banned
    Well now THAT is a great question. I had to go look. There are two little wood needle cases in the drawer with 4 needles in one and some used ones in the other one. Im not really sure they go to this machine as I brought 3 treadles home in the back seat of my car on that trip. We had to take them apart to get them in there. I put all the parts for each machine in a baggie and labeled them so that I could return them to the right machine when I got home. So, Im not sure how to tell what needle this machine needs.. HELP...

Also the machine mechanism is a bit frozen. The wheel will turn about half way, then stops.. I am really hoping to find something a little less precious to start tearing apart for the first time.. I do a lot on my machines, but have never torn them down completely like you have shown on your tute.

Banned
    [quote=Lostn51]
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    Looking forward to seeing more of you collection!!

Billy
    Be careful what you ask for...LOL
    I love my old machines and love to share with ANYONE who will look and listen.. Most people only last about 5 min. before their eyes glaze over and they are looking for the nearest exit.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    JC, I like both of your machines. Isn't it interesting that seamstresses/quilters used to put fabric around the head of the machine for storing pins? I have seen that so many times. Unfortunately, it also causes a lot of wear n tear on the decals.
    you know I have been wondering about that. I have seen so many old machines with cloth on them and just couldn't figure out why. Then last night I dreamed about it. Okay yes I admit it...I dream about quilting and old sewing machines. I know I'm pathetic :-D

Blog Entries
    The W&W takes a 127x1 needle or a Boye 18. (In the case of Boye needles, the number indicates a style, and not the size)

I posted a thread here in the Virtual machine section a week or two ago that gives some alternatives and instruction on needles for the #9...

Keep in mind, if the machine isn't working, you can NOT ruin it by tearing into it! ;) How can you hurt something that's "broken"? :)

I could never find a manual online...the Smithsonian has a manual for an 8, a Meteor, and a parts catalog for a D-10 but nothing for a 9...I'll take pics when I get home from work tho, of how to thread the 9...it's a fairly simple process.

Banned
    Charlee, Thank you for the info on the needle for the W9. I have a little wooden Boye box with 4 new 18s in it and another one with an assortement of used needles.

And I dug a little more in the drawers and found the Manual. It is in pretty bad shape, cover is partly missing, but the threading instructions are there.. Yay!!! I would be happy to make a copy of it for you if you like....

Thanks for the encouragement on working on it.. I will try to find the supplies as described by Billy and see if I can get it to free up. There is a bit of rust on the presser foot.. dont know how that happened in the DESERT. Once I free up the movement, I think I can get it working.. It has a broken needle stuck in it now, so, it may take a little work to get it out...

Blog Entries
    I would SO appreciate that JC! :) Thanks so much!

Banned
    I can scan it and email it to you, or would you prefer a paper copy?

Banned
    It is a Wheler & Wilson. The Cabinet had been refinished, but the machine needs a little work. All the attachments were in the drawers in a little wooden box.
    JC, I like both of your machines. Isn't it interesting that seamstresses/quilters used to put fabric around the head of the machine for storing pins? I have seen that so many times. Unfortunately, it also causes a lot of wear n tear on the decals.

$5... great buy, huh? Thank you for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Thank you for looking..I used to have my grandmothers sewing machine and it had a piece of fabric wrapped around the machine for a pin cushion too. So, when I got this one with the same thing, I just left it there as it reminds me of her...

Thank you all for the positive feedback and warm welcome...Im sure Im going to like it here. And the coffee and rolls arent bad either..

Blog Entries
    I can scan it and email it to you, or would you prefer a paper copy?
    Scan is fine! :) I'll pm you with my email addy! Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    you know I have been wondering about that. I have seen so many old machines with cloth on them and just couldn't figure out why. Then last night I dreamed about it. Okay yes I admit it...I dream about quilting and old sewing machines. I know I'm pathetic :-D
    Oh NO!!! You dreamed about it? I did just that last night. I can't remember exactly what was going on but I was somehow dealin' with vintage sewing machines... one was black with terrific decals... Ohhhhhhhhhhh... We have gone nuts. I still think Billy has put something in the coffee/tea water but I can't figure out what it is! ...dreamt about vintage machines... YIKES

:shock: :shock:

Banned
    I still think Billy has put something in the coffee/tea water but I can't figure out what it is! ...dreamt about vintage machines... YIKES

He He He He
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

I was actually going to come here and make a post asking if anyone knew why someone would wrap cloth around a machine like that. lol! I also dreamed about a log cabin block i was making. Now to actually make it!

I need to find a good dealer for a few little things. She needs the rubber cushions and it looks like the thing that goes on the light switch toggle is also missing. Otherwise she is in great shape.[/quote]

Katia,
    Check this out for parts for your new baby. Very reliable and helpful.
    http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm

Ruth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    I was actually going to come here and make a post asking if anyone knew why someone would wrap cloth around a machine like that. lol! I also dreamed about a log cabin block i was making. Now to actually make it!
    Ginny, do you remember the colors of the log cabin block you were making in your dream? I am currently making Cabin Corners quilt from Jo Morton's book on my newly acquired FW.

Today I wound my first bobbin on my FW. It worked really great and wound the thread very evenly!

its a dark brown floral for part of it with some cream colors. I need to see what I can come up with but I really need to finish up these memorial quilts before I start anything else!

Hi there, could someone please give me some info. on a New Home treadle? New Home S.M.Co. Orange Mass. USA #2782851
    My DD has had it for about 35yrs.and we know nothing about it. Like what year made. Thanks, LOVE the shop and stop by for coffee every day. Billy you are a honey for putting the tutes together for us, can't thank you enough.
    Marge

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marge
    Hi there, could someone please give me some info. on a New Home treadle? New Home S.M.Co. Orange Mass. USA #2782851
    My DD has had it for about 35yrs.and we know nothing about it. Like what year made. Thanks, LOVE the shop and stop by for coffee every day. Billy you are a honey for putting the tutes together for us, can't thank you enough.
    Marge
    You have a Model A built in 1907 according to my records that i have. I can tell you that there were 149,854 machines built that year but what month and day have no idea.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Billy,

Sorry this thank you is so late but thanks for the info on my "Federal" machine. DH hasn't spoken about it so maybe he doesn't know about it either. Next time I stop in, I'll bring some homemade cinnamon rolls for the coffee. :)

Chris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Billy,

Sorry this thank you is so late but thanks for the info on my "Federal" machine. DH hasn't spoken about it so maybe he doesn't know about it either. Next time I stop in, I'll bring some homemade cinnamon rolls for the coffee. :)

Chris
    Yummm!!!!

Billy

Banned
    Okay I thought I would go ahead and post some photos of my Singer 128 that I have finished cleaning and preserving. This as you all know is the one that I did the Tutorials on and I will be finishing them up later this week.

But here are a few before and after pics......

Billy

Before
    Name:  Attachment-71462.jpe
Views: 562
Size:  66.2 KB

Before
    Name:  Attachment-71463.jpe
Views: 542
Size:  66.1 KB

Before
    Name:  Attachment-71464.jpe
Views: 554
Size:  61.8 KB

After
    Name:  Attachment-71465.jpe
Views: 530
Size:  66.9 KB

After
    Name:  Attachment-71466.jpe
Views: 572
Size:  67.9 KB

After
    Name:  Attachment-71467.jpe
Views: 530
Size:  62.1 KB

After
    Name:  Attachment-71469.jpe
Views: 528
Size:  75.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Billy... that is quite a difference.

Somehow I missed your 2nd addition of your tutes until this morning.

Just came back from the store with 'most' of the things I need to begin cleaning when I get a machine torn down. Had to go to 2 stores to get kerosene. Neither store had the Scott's Liquid Gold in any form.

:?: :?: I realize that kerosene was written to use for cleaning machines in some of the older Singer manuals. But, in 2010, aren't there other more easily available cleaning products that would not damage the decals and such? I am a 'why' person, I'd just like to know for my own noggin'. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here is a picture of my MILs old Pfaff 230 machine that she used constantly for years. She even made my going away dress in 1966.

I plan to get it oiled and ready to use, but as of now I need two things: One is a new "bed slide" which is supposed to be at the left of the needle plate.

And the other is the answer to this question: Why do you suppose that this Pfaff 230 (# shown on the front) has on the under view the number 130?

Pfaff 230 front view
    Name:  Attachment-71486.jpe
Views: 1837
Size:  46.9 KB

Pfaff 230 top view
    Name:  Attachment-71487.jpe
Views: 864
Size:  51.9 KB

Pfaff 230 under view
    Name:  Attachment-71488.jpe
Views: 644
Size:  63.7 KB

Actually, I need one more thing. A suggestion as to where to take this machine. I live about 3 hrs away from Dallas, 3 hrs away from Houston, and about 2 hrs away from Austin. I would be willing to go that distance to get this cleaned and fixed properly, but would like some kind of referral. You can PM me if necessary.

Blog Entries
    Our local antique shop has another Singer vintage sewing machine. Not sure of the model but the case over is a rounded-oval shape. Seems to be in good condition. They are asking $50 for it. Am I totally off my rocker for wanting to go and buy it????

And do I need special needles for my singer treadle? I posted it earlier.

Blog Entries
    Sherri, are you talking about your 66 with the brown lotus decals?

And...as long as the decals are good, and the machine works, $50 is good!

Page 48 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 58 98 148 548 1048 ... LastLast