Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Does anyone on here FMQ with a treadle other than the Necchi or Model 15?
Okay first things first you repairman is a MORON!!

This is the reason my business is booming because the repair guys do not know or want to work on old machines. Its easier to pop in a new motherboard or sell you a new machine than it is to take the time and work on the vintage stuff.

I FMQ on every machine including my VS machines its not rocket science here. Just because you stop the motion of the feed dogs it doesnt make them out of the way to be able to FMQ. A darning plate or a thin piece of sheet styrene and tape is all you need. Loosen up the tension on the presserfoot (I use the regular foot on mine) and you FMQing.

I use this method all of the time and never had an issue.

Billy
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
First, let me say hello, I'm that little brown mouse that keep slipping in and out that hole over there in the corner, reading your post and peeking at your pix's, and smelling your good eats, and sipping the coffee and drinking the tea. I just love this shop. It took me three months to read all 389 pages of this post. It's been my favorite stop on this forum. I don't have a collection because I am an apartment dweller. But, I do have a vintage 'Singer 401A. It has been in the family since either 63 or 64. It took the place of a 1930 something 201A. Love all of your finds and one day I am going to own a FW. I do have a couple question concerning the 401. But, since I was so long-winded to let everyone know that I was really lurking in the corner. I'll come around with a little less wind and shoot from the hip with my question in regard to the 401A.
Well hello and welcome to the shop! You can come out and hang with us anytime and remember everyone here is family!!:thumbup:

And I was wondering how long it will take someone to read the thread I started not too long ago!!

Billy
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

It took me a good while, and I jumped in about half way compared to now.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

This is the reason my business is booming because the repair guys do not know or want to work on old machines. Its easier to pop in a new motherboard or sell you a new machine than it is to take the time and work on the vintage stuff.
Billy
This made me really laugh out loud!

Billy he is really a nice guy, not too sharp on very old machines, but a nice guy. I am still smiling over your post. I went back to this repair guy today and bought a few more bobbins for my 66 now that I know which ones to get. I asked him to label them 'class 66' so he will know too! It is too funny when I have to show the repair guy which bobbins are which -- I know I am a moron when it comes to that stuff! LOL

Nancy
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 PM

I FMQ on every machine including my VS machines its not rocket science here. Just because you stop the motion of the feed dogs it doesnt make them out of the way to be able to FMQ. A darning plate or a thin piece of sheet styrene and tape is all you need. Loosen up the tension on the presserfoot (I use the regular foot on mine) and you FMQing.

Billy
Billy I am going to try again, but not tonight. I have been playing around with my treadle too much. I need to seriously finish the halloween costumes I am trying to do for my granddaughters. Geeze how did I get tied into this I don't know! Anyway, if you use your regular foot, do you stiple? make lopes? feathers? circles?

Do you even have or can you get a darning foot/applique' foot for the treadles?

Nancy
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

I do it all but I have never tried the other feet for quilting. But any low shank feet will work on the singers and the 9W is its own little critter.

Billy
Old 10-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
First, let me say hello, I'll come around with a little less wind and shoot from the hip with my question in regard to the 401A.

Hello and welcome! Glad you came out of hiding; enjoyed reading your first post.
Thank you, I've been on the forum for almost a year now, but I do love this shop. It's like really hangin' out with the big kids of the art. And you are most knowledgeable, I really appreicate your wisdom.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 PM

First, let me say hello, I'm that little brown mouse that keep slipping in and out that hole over there in the corner, reading your post and peeking at your pix's, and smelling your good eats, and sipping the coffee and drinking the tea.
Wecome aboard!

Be careful, though, your apartment may just fill up with treadles before you know what happened!

Nancy
Nancy, thank you, I am afraid of that, but I never learn to treadle.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:48 PM

Does anyone on here FMQ with a treadle other than the Necchi or Model 15?

Billy
Billy, which one of the machine gives a bolder stitch or satin-like stitch? Or would that come from the thread that is used. Will the vintaged ladies use the new satin-like thread?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM

First, let me say hello, I'm that little brown mouse that keep slipping in and out that hole over there in the corner, reading your post and peeking at your pix's, and smelling your good eats, and sipping the coffee and drinking the tea. I just love this shop. It took me three months to read all 389 pages of this post. It's been my favorite stop on this forum. I don't have a collection because I am an apartment dweller. But, I do have a vintage 'Singer 401A. It has been in the family since either 63 or 64. It took the place of a 1930 something 201A. Love all of your finds and one day I am going to own a FW. I do have a couple question concerning the 401. But, since I was so long-winded to let everyone know that I was really lurking in the corner. I'll come around with a little less wind and shoot from the hip with my question in regard to the 401A.
Well hello and welcome to the shop! You can come out and hang with us anytime and remember everyone here is family!!:thumbup:

And I was wondering how long it will take someone to read the thread I started not too long ago!!

Billy
Billy, thank you for the welcome, my question is of you, or anyone that can answer. The 401 is a good girl. I really don't use her enough, but sometimes just sitting she can locked up or frozen the hand wheel. You counter turn it when you want fill a bobbin. What causes that? I usually take her to the repairman when that happens. But, if I knew what causes it. I would do what ever to stop it.