Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
when i turn the little knob it is as tight as it will go and the wheel still free spins
Sounds like the washer might be put in wrong OR it is missing completely. It looks like your machine was a parts machine for another 128. But It can be fixed!!

Take the small screw out of the center knob and unscrew it completely off is there a washer there? if it is flip it over and put it back together again and try it out.

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

my industrial does. but how can you tell by just looking at the head--no table no motor. it does have a rod in the back but that is a knee lift lever for the pressure foot, isn't it?
Post photos and I can see.

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I went on craigslist - national. Seems the machines for sale are concentrated on the coasts... :cry: I will keep looking for a treadle. It may be a while, though. My DH does not think it is as important as getting our children through school - wonder why! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quilt Mom, don't worry, just keep checking. I have seen several over the last month pop up on the Lincoln and Omaha listings. Hang in there. 8-)
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 AM
EC

So-o-o-o many machines in the Boston area! Not sure that I really know what to choose. Picked up these two this week, not sure which one to start with for your tutorial. Where's a girl to begin?

Thanks in advance, Billy, for all your help. Having somewhere to go with questions gives me the incentive to dig in. Have a Featherweight that needs re-wiring (I think), maybe I'll be able to do that eventually. Haven't done much sewing since you started this shop. I love it!

AC724987 Model 128
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50291[/ATTACH]

158985 Model 28?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50292[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-50291.jpe   attachment-50292.jpe  
Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EC
So-o-o-o many machines in the Boston area! Not sure that I really know what to choose. Picked up these two this week, not sure which one to start with for your tutorial. Where's a girl to begin?

Thanks in advance, Billy, for all your help. Having somewhere to go with questions gives me the incentive to dig in. Have a Featherweight that needs re-wiring (I think), maybe I'll be able to do that eventually. Haven't done much sewing since you started this shop. I love it!
WOW!!! I love the 28, is there anyway we could get a better look at the decals on the bed and the pillar?

Start with which ever machine you want to both are nice! The 128 if you want to do something neat while you wait to find the original shuttle plate make one out of clear plastic like you can get at the hobby shops. Cut it to fit the place and slide it in and that way you can watch the shuttle work as you sew!!

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Hey Billy you were right! i took the screw out , removed the knob and turned around the washer. no more free wheeling you can now hear it moving in the arm but the needle bar will not move up or down but that does not mean that there is not something else that is wrong, right?

this is getting fun.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

Hey Billy you were right! i took the screw out , removed the knob and turned around the washer. no more free wheeling you can now hear it moving in the arm but the needle bar will not move up or down but that does not mean that there is not something else that is wrong, right?

this is getting fun.
Yep it is!!!

Take the face plate off and see what it looks behind there. Post a photo of it if you can!

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 AM

the pressure foot lever is locked down too. i cannot lift the pressure foot or move the lever up
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45467.jpe   attachment-46136.jpe  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM

the pressure foot lever is locked down too. i cannot lift the pressure foot or move the lever up
Wow, Mickey, you're getting good. Your pictures look like Billy's in his tutorial. Go girl! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by EC

Thanks in advance, Billy, for all your help. Having somewhere to go with questions gives me the incentive to dig in. Have a Featherweight that needs re-wiring (I think), maybe I'll be able to do that eventually. HAVEN'T DONE MUCH SEWING SINCE YOU STARTED THIS SHOP. I love it!
Isn't that the truth!!!!

:shock:

Nice machines. Glad I am nearer the West Coast where there are a lot of machines but perhaps not as many as the East Coast. ;-)