Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2010, 06:11 AM

What is that little machine Billy...I get the feeling that I should know, but I don't!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
Ok Here are the pictures of the 128VS? She is smaller that i thought it would be. Used to the industrials i guess.

i am assuming that i will need to use kerosene to unfreeze the parts
Your machine looks to be in better condition cosmetically than mine is. But your missing all of the electronics, motor and knee bar. IS it locked up where it will not move at all or will it sorta move when you try and to turn the handwheel?

If you loosen the center knob to disengage the machine will the hand wheel move?

I do not think it will take much to get it going again but you need to let me know about if it is moving at all. Sometimes if you take the face plate off and use a hair drier on the high setting it will loosen the gummy oil and get it moving again.

Let me know how it is working.

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
What is that little machine Billy...I get the feeling that I should know, but I don't!
Singer Model 24

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 AM

i cant't tell whether it will move up or down, because when you turn the wheel it free spins. it is not connected to something inside correctly. at least that is my opinion.

decals look good in picture but scratched up in person
Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 AM

if i pull the face plate off and take a picture will that help? Do i have to remove it from the base first?

sorry i have no clue what i am doing but i will thanks to you.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

i cant't tell whether it will move up or down, because when you turn the wheel it free spins. it is not connected to something inside correctly. at least that is my opinion.

decals look good in picture but scratched up in person
Take the center knob and twist it clockwise to engage the machine and then try it. Sounds like they are trying to wind the bobbin!!

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 AM

billy how do you tell the difference between a industrial and a vintage home use? my old industrial is a self-oiler and has to have a pan, and i have never seen one with a backstitch lever(i think that is what it is it could be a stitch ength control--also not seen on most industrials)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Banned

billy how do you tell the difference between a industrial and a vintage home use? my old industrial is a self-oiler and has to have a pan, and i have never seen one with a backstitch lever(i think that is what it is it could be a stitch ength control--also not seen on most industrials)
Its not that hard but its not that easy either. There were a few Singers for home use that had the wick system to oil the machine. But the industrials usually have a huge motor and clutch system for the power.

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM

when i turn the little knob it is as tight as it will go and the wheel still free spins
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM

my industrial does. but how can you tell by just looking at the head--no table no motor. it does have a rod in the back but that is a knee lift lever for the pressure foot, isn't it?