Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by mickey
the pressure foot lever is locked down too. i cannot lift the pressure foot or move the lever up
Wow, Mickey, you're getting good. Your pictures look like Billy's in his tutorial. Go girl! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Okay, I keep reading about the tutorial. So where is it. Billy have you written this up already? If so where is the tutorial?
Charlene
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
the pressure foot lever is locked down too. i cannot lift the pressure foot or move the lever up
Okay I see a few issues, but when you turn the hand wheel now what do you see moving in the face plate area. Can you heat it up with a hair drier and be able to move the presserfoot up and down? If not then its the tensioner that is keeping it from moving because of the rust around it.

It looks like you are going to have to get a can of WD-40 or Kroil. and be ready to drown it in the stuff and let it sit out in the sun for a while. Kerosene bath would probably help to but hold off until we can get something moving.

Try and to get the tensioner off of the machine and I bet the presserfoot will move.

Billy
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Well, I got my Elna Supermatic all plugged in and gave it a try. The motor runs, but the needle moves very slowly. The knee control I bought does not appear to be the right one, but it is semi-usable. For now I put it back in the case. I don't have time or $$ to deal with it right now. If anyone has knowledge of these, please PM me. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM

no movement behind face plate. i will looke at tutorial and see if i can figure out how to take the tensioner off
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
EC

Billy,

Part 1 of the tutorial looks great! Very encouraging! Very detailed and at first glance, easy to follow. Just need to clear a space and purchase the items on the supply list. If it goes half as easy as you make it look, I'll be thrilled.

Will send more pics of the 28 when I can take them outside without the flash. Flash seems to reflect off the machine.

Elaine
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM

removed the presser foot and the tension bar screw and the tiny little screw at bottom. tension bar is stuck will not move. No WD-40 (shhhhhhhhh i am at work)

do you want me to remove the tension spring mechanism on the front too? Right Now? how will that help the tension bar move?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45625.jpe  
Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM

remove tension assembly the little bar about 1 or 2 inches long is not part of the assemblage. have i missed it?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Okay, I was going to start cleaning off space in my garage tonight to start the tutorial. But now I may "HAVE TO" go pick up another machine. I am picking up a free one also tonight in North County, ughhh this is terrible.

Billy or Char, what is this? The serial number is 7294439 but that makes it a 1886 model which doesn't jive with the picture. Singer said that serial number would be an Improved Family machine. Is it a Model 15?

This is at a thrift shop but they advertise on CL too.
:?:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41716.jpe   attachment-41717.jpe   attachment-41718.jpe  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 PM

the tensioner on the faceplate of the machine makes it a model 15...but I dunno WHICH model 15! :lol:

Oh Biiiillllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy!! ;)