Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM

I not so recently purchased a couple of machine - one of them in a green case. Looked at it more closely today. It is a BelAir 600 made in occupied Japan. Serial # is B517288. It is shiny balck and looks to be in good condition minus one thing. The bobbin plate, covers where the bobbin sits, is missing. Does anyone have any idea if there are interchangeable parts available or is that a Needlebar question. I know I will need to look there for a manual.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Miz Johnny did you get all the Boye 10 needles that I had bid on off of E-Bay? I bid on like 10 different tubes, some with 12 needles, some with 5 needles for my Davis and I lost everyone to someone that outbid me the last second! Someone out there is using her Davis Vertical Feed Treadle! I wasn't even worried about it as I didn't think those needles were that popular!

I hope you got them Miz Johnny as I know you use your Davis! LOL or any one of you for that matter -- I hope someone got the needles to use them!

Nancy
Not me--I have my own stash.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I not so recently purchased a couple of machine - one of them in a green case. Looked at it more closely today. It is a BelAir 600 made in occupied Japan. Serial # is B517288. It is shiny balck and looks to be in good condition minus one thing. The bobbin plate, covers where the bobbin sits, is missing. Does anyone have any idea if there are interchangeable parts available or is that a Needlebar question. I know I will need to look there for a manual.
Measure it to see for sure, but I think a 99 cover plate will fit.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Measure it to see for sure, but I think a 99 cover plate will fit.
Thanks for the information. Will do.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I hope you got them Miz Johnny as I know you use your Davis! LOL or any one of you for that matter -- I hope someone got the needles to use them!

Nancy

Not me--I have my own stash.
Now Miz Johnny somehow I KNEW that! And, I just won a whole stash of Boye 18's for my Wheeler and Wilson machines! I will try again for the Davis!

And WOOOOOO HOOOOOO I just found out that my Singer 15-88 goes backwards! I can't believe I have been sewing on that treadle for months and just got the nerve to try and see if I could back up while treadling! It goes back wards just like an electric machine would -- front - back all in a smooth sewing motion! Can you believe it! I can't believe I was so stupid! I would sew a border on, go to my Pfaff 130 and back tack both ends!@ Now I just sew, back tack, sew to end and back tack all on the treadle! Can you tell I am excited! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Nancy
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I thought it was quiet here, but listening closely I can hear all the Christmas elves speedily sewing- such a glorious hum. Have fun with your projects!
LOL This Christmas elf is trying his best to finish 3 machines so he can shut down for two weeks during the Christmas break. I am shooting for the 19th but it looks like I might have to work Monday. Right now I am working up to 3am almost every day this past week trying to get caught up.

Boy I need a vacation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I am not complaining at all in fact my wife says I am having way too much fun right now. :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 PM

I have been looking for another sewing machine for a while and thanks to the great information here (still have many pages to read yet, just not enough time to do it) I have narrowed it down to two different machines. I have a Singer touch and sew 758 which I like for most everything I do except machine quilting.

The first is a Singer 15-91 in good shape, works good, with attachments, manual, etc. I learned to sew years ago on one that was similar to this so I would be comfortable with it.

The other one is a Standard Brand treadle with a spring belt (that was new to me). It had several patent dates on the plate, 1887 - 1893 was the first, don't remember all of them but I think the last one was something like 1893 - 1896. It also worked good but the cabinet had a couple spots on the table top where the veneer was not in great shape. Neat machine though. I haven't been able to find much information on this brand and know very little about it.

Right now I am looking for any pros or cons on either machine before I make my decision. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

I vote for the treadle because I am extremely partial to treadle machines anyway. But the 15-91 is a good machine but be sure to have the wiring checked out so that you will not run the risk of being shocked.

Billy
Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I vote for the treadle because I am extremely partial to treadle machines anyway. But the 15-91 is a good machine but be sure to have the wiring checked out so that you will not run the risk of being shocked.

Billy
I'm with Billy, I vote for the treadle, although, there a lots of people that take the 15-91 -- give it a motorectomy -- and put it in a treadle cabinet! I love my 15-88, it came a treadle! The 15-90/15-91 started electric, but like I said -- it doesn't have to stay electric!

Nancy
Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I thought it was quiet here, but listening closely I can hear all the Christmas elves speedily sewing- such a glorious hum. Have fun with your projects!
LOL This Christmas elf is trying his best to finish 3 machines so he can shut down for two weeks during the Christmas break. I am shooting for the 19th but it looks like I might have to work Monday. Right now I am working up to 3am almost every day this past week trying to get caught up.

Boy I need a vacation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I am not complaining at all in fact my wife says I am having way too much fun right now. :mrgreen:

Billy
Billy, I see three very happy customers! Can we see pictures or are they secrets until Christmas?

Nancy