Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
$45 is a great price, though. In my area, CL Pfaff 130s are usually around $100 - $200. I have another I bought for $80 (? -- I think that was the price) and in very good condition but it took a lot of cleaning. I mean seriously, it took me weeks to get it clean. I'm beginning to realize that Pfaffs are worth paying a little extra, both in asking price and in refurbishing costs. Really wonderful machines.
I've seen them for a lot higher than that. I can see the pics now and you done good.

Cari
Old 09-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Thank you very much. I recently saw a 130 on CL for $100 and it had the coffee grinder, the spool pin extensions and the extra lamp. I was sorely tempted. And I've seen them for $500, too.

I need to learn to make custom bentwood cases. Several of us need to go into business making them, with matching desks and chairs.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Thank you very much. I recently saw a 130 on CL for $100 and it had the coffee grinder, the spool pin extensions and the extra lamp. I was sorely tempted. And I've seen them for $500, too.

I need to learn to make custom bentwood cases. Several of us need to go into business making them, with matching desks and chairs.
Pardon my ignorance but I've seen it mentioned several times and can't figure out what it is. I trued looking it up online but I came up with the kitchen thing and I don't believe that's what your talking about.

What is the coffee grinder?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:20 PM

The coffee grinder is an embroidery stitch attachment that is mounted to the back of a 130. It has levers that you can see from the front of the machine and it's housed in a matching black metal unit with the Pfaff logo. It's rather noisy, making a grinding noise -- thus, the name.

This is a good explanation:

https://sites.google.com/site/sewmac...me/pfaff-130-6
Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 PM

OK, now I understand. The pictures helped a whole lot.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 AM

You got that for 10 Bucks , that great .I have two one with the coffee grinder like most ( as I hear) both were stuck / gummed up . one was just the zig zag. the other was both the zz and stitch length, which was a total pita to free up, using google I came up with a zero on any information to service it I did find that they do have a nylon ? plastic gear. you can get link belts for them , along with one an other site a guy say he will make you one, that was afew years back I did a quilt using fabric heavy as med weight denim, wasn't all that impressed, so I did the spoked handwheel thing, remachined that to get the bobbin winder to work. OOO ya it then had the punching power butt as talked about they don't stop when you let off the gas, it will do 2 to 3 more stitches , then stop LOL. my quilts quilting line were not very straight, I took the grinder one used this to go over those lines. these where 7 foot lines, talk about use up thread !!! it say these have something like 52 / 54 different patterns , bull they have 5 patterns maybe 10 different lengths to each pattern I also read that you really really have to know how to adjust the grinder to get the patterns I got these 4/5 years ago $60 on each what sweet'd those buys was one was in singer 4 drawer treadle, the other was in a singer #42 cabinet these both were barn machines, the cleaning the body was easy. but the metal ( silver) took for ever. There a great puzzle to put back together . like a maze of movement there very good machines, there not a $500 machine
Old 09-13-2014, 01:05 AM

ken if you get serious about making dome tops check the price on nice veneer. you might change your mind. spendyyour in a huge city area, do you know what door skins are ? it's 2 ply veneer very bendable, check for a company that make hallow core interior doors , these skins are what those doors are faced with

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 09-13-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

These are photos of some of the machines we have collected over the years

my 1955 Featherweight

Foley and Williams

This is my Singer Model 27 1903

This is a picture of my friend's Singer 127 Sphinx model treadle when
my DH began to take it apart to refurbish it. The entire machine had that
dull dirty look and it was gummed up and wasn't working. He took it all
apart and cleaned it. It is now working and looks good also.

This is what it looked like when he was finished. She was very
happy with the results.

Last edited by twinkie; 09-13-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:19 AM

xxxxxx, agree! I've heard those coffee grinders are more trouble than they're worth and people really charge $$ for them. I like embroidery stitching (although I don't really do any) but if it's going to be that much of a pain, I won't bother. Like you say, there are only several patterns, unlike a nice large set of Kenmore cams where you can get up to 60 unique patterns, then change the lengths and widths for variety.

I do like the spoked Pfaff wheel, though; it looks really cool. But I was reading that the plastic hand wheel actually provides more control over starting, stopping, and speed due to its low mass and relative lack of inertia when, say, stopping from a high speed. And you can forward the needle from the pedal stitch by stitch -- difficult to do with a large, heavy steel wheel.

I guess I was fantasizing about the bent veneer cases. I would probably just make them for myself and friends but it would be great to be able to finally get rid of some of these old sewing cabinets and put these machines into cases that are more portable.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 AM

twinkie, can you re-post your pictures? I'm not seeing anything and your description makes me want to see them.