Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 62 of 92 FirstFirst ... 12 52 61 62 63 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've had Meguiar's Cleaner Wax take off paint on some machines. Always test a place. The machine looks great Grant! I am going after one today in worse shape. I have one here with initials carved deeply into the bed - I'm hoping to 'marry' them - maybe have one good one some time. I have a growing appreciation for those old ladies. I think the bobbin and shuttle were kind of a turn off for a very long time. Muv's info saved the day.
    Miriam, I am careful to do a test to see if it is ok first. But I have not damaged any decals or paint with wax. I have some other wax that I use on them if it is more sensitive to the Meguiar's. It is called Wizards Shine Master. It is more expensive and harder to find so it is my go to if the Meguiar's doesn't give good results. It is a milder wax.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Miriam, I am careful to do a test to see if it is ok first. But I have not damaged any decals or paint with wax. I have some other wax that I use on them if it is more sensitive to the Meguiar's. It is called Wizards Shine Master. It is more expensive and harder to find so it is my go to if the Meguiar's doesn't give good results. It is a milder wax.
    ~G~
    I know you are careful but not everybody else is as careful to test.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I know you are careful but not everybody else is as careful to test.
    Omni est Optio...

Grant, BEAUUUTIFULLLL work
    😊 wilburness 😊

I have been working on a Singer 27 in a Treadle Cabinet from 1896 for a good friend of mine. It has been in their family for generations but only used as a piece of furniture for at least the last 40 years.
    I imagine they'd have passed out when they saw it! Amazing job, Grant, you made it new again
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    I imagine they'd have passed out when they saw it! Amazing job, Grant, you made it new again
    First off thank you for the compliment Wilberness.
    Steve, What does that mean?
    Manicmike, Actually, It is for my best friend. Recently he was Best Man at my wedding. It is a family heirloom and passed down to him. I am delivering it to him on Saturday. My wife said that it looked like it was in a fire before I restored it and now it looks almost new. BTW, It sews great stitches too. I knew it would. But I digress. His family is coming to his house for Thanksgiving next Saturday and he is going to reveal it to all of them. He has 3 siblings that only knew it as a place for pictures and plants to sit on all of their lives. His mom too. It will be a special reveal for them all on that day, I am sure. I would like to be there but I will not be.
    ~G~

"All is choice"

... and to be clear it was a reference to the previous assertion that some folks don't test unless you tell them first....

It will be a special reveal for them all on that day, I am sure. I would like to be there but I will not be.
    A family reveal sounds like an exciting prospect. If there are elderly family members there make sure you have an ambulance on standby, just in case
    Shame you won't be there. I love seeing the surprise and joy on their faces. You'll get thank you cards for sure.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Ah! Indeed, and well said Steve. I was asked a direct question and I gave a direct answer. I tend to be long winded on my explinations so I was trying to be breif in my answer. I apologise.
    As far as my choice of cleaners goes, I will stick to car wax. I know that I have been Poo Poo'd before, but for me, it just makes sense. I was employed as a painter of automotive finishes at one time in my lifetime, and learned a lot about those finishes. I have taken that learning experience and applied it to the finishes on sewing machines. I know that they are designed to preserve the finish so that is where I started. I have had outstanding results in my opinion and will not change what is not broken. It may take longer with my product of choice to get the desired results, but I see no need for change. I have NEVER damaged a machine's finish. I have heard multiple horror stories about this product or that method, and maybe I have just been dumb lucky, but it works for me. I was asked, and I answered honestly. Can I explain everything and why I do things and for what reason? Sure. But it will be even more long winded than this explination for what I said by trying to be breif. I sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone. But that is what I used. Car wax and SMO.
    G.

Blog Entries

Meet Cindy Lou

My newest addition to the family. Shes a Singer 403A.
    She is in great condition and sews like a dream.
    She came with her original manual, original box with cams, and lots of feet and accessories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my quilt lab!

...I was asked a direct question and I gave a direct answer. I tend to be long winded on my explinations so I was trying to be breif in my answer. ..(clipped for reply)..... I sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone. But that is what I used. Car wax and SMO. G.
    Awesome!!!! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
    My newest addition to the family. Shes a Singer 403A. She is in great condition and sews like a dream. She came with her original manual, original box with cams, and lots of feet and accessories.
    That is a sweet machine! Nice set too! Congrats!

Beautiful job, Grant! I love the Sphinx and have a 127 also.

Fabulous and gorgeous machine, Cindy!

hi,
    newbie here and accidentally found your site. awesome site and i hope to learn a lot from you guys as far as sewing/quiltting is concern. i've been sewing since i was 12 years old and used my Mom's old singer sewing machine. that's how i got started. i bought my wife a Husqvarna and i used it for awhile, but for some reason i still am wanting to get an old singer sewing machine. they are quite a different machine - different in a good ways. anyway here are some of my 'friends'.
    1) singer sewing machine 221-1 (1951)
    2) singer sewing machine 201-2 (1940)
    3) singer sewing machine 99K (alum) (1922)
    4) singer sewing machine 16-188 (industrial) got this for free and i am trying to make it run (1940).

thank you all.

Blog Entries
    Welcome! For discussion how to make it run post a pic and the problems you are having with it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ll-t43881.html
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Very nice machines, vman. Did you do all the clean up or were they that shiny and clean when you got them? Glad you have found this group..... lots of helpful information.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Appreciate all you folks for being here! Hoping you all have a happy Thanksgiving! I read the QB everyday, which is more than I can say for email, facebook, etc!

Just thought folks might like to see my new Wheeler Wilson #8 Trade Card (Victorian business card) These blow away modern cards...

Front
    Name:  2013-11-26 23.26.45.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  128.1 KB

Back
    Name:  2013-11-26 23.27.06.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  107.9 KB

Oh Steve, that is totally awesome!!
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Hi Everyone,
    I have an update on the 1917 White Rotary and her new "home". Its all cleaned up and doesn't reek of ciggy smoke anymore. I've been piecing String Star blocks, just have 1 more row and then borders.

Steve,
    The Wheeler & Wilson trade card has pretty artwork.
    Sharon
    Last edited by purplefiend; 11-27-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Sharon, your "cup holder" made me smile! Beautiful machine!

And Happy Thanksgiving to all the vintage and antique machine enthusiasts on the QB!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I have been "lurking" for about a year now really enjoy the conversations and photos.

I have 4 machines. Singer 500A, 2 Kenmore Rotarys 117-591, and a Viking. I use the Kenmore for piecing, Singer for quilting and the Viking is my "sewing on the picnic table" machine.
    Name:  DSC02413.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  112.6 KBName:  DSC02414.JPG
Views: 707
Size:  106.3 KBName:  DSC02415.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  99.9 KB

Welcome to the QB. No more lurking, just jump right in.
    😊 wilburness 😊

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have an update on the 1917 White Rotary and her new "home". Its all cleaned up and doesn't reek of ciggy smoke anymore. I've been piecing String Star blocks, just have 1 more row and then borders.

That's wonderful! My hubby has started on the cleaning of my White since he was able to do so well on the Singer 27 I am sure he will do wonderfully on the White.
    I too love the cup holder and will have to remember this but I might have to figure out something to protect the wood inside the drawer as I don't want any accidents in there! LOL

Steve,
    The Wheeler & Wilson trade card has pretty artwork.
    Sharon
    I agree and you are right much more pleasing than modern sales tools!
    Cathie in Ut
    Who tends to be like a bird who is distracted by sparkly and shiny things!

here is one of my Birthday Presents i got this weekend.

1875 Howe Sewing Machine company Agent appointment document

the outside
    Name:  2013-12-02 18.45.58_sm.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  50.4 KB

here it is opened up. I will be making a hi-res scan at work tomorrow for posting to Needlebar. If anyone wants a huge copy, let me know. hehe
    Name:  2013-12-02 18.46.43_sm.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  61.2 KB
    Last edited by SteveH; 12-02-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Page 62 of 92 FirstFirst ... 12 52 61 62 63 72 ... LastLast