Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2274

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I can't treadle it either... BUT I can turn a mean HC.
    That is for sure!!!
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Name:  erger.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  24.9 KBName:  dfhbsrf.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  37.1 KBName:  photo(11).JPG
Views: 551
Size:  1.37 MBName:  l;iphgpiugy.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  30.9 KBIs this the same machine? Its my uncle's machine its been in his house since he was a chilod belong to his mother. What can you tell me about this?

Singer 28K Victorian Decal 1895 vintage. Hand crank, coffin top case

I'm using this attachment set (most came with machine). Box says "for VS1 and VS2" so it's not really for this machine, but it works. It's a bit different than the sets that would have come with US made machines (puzzle box set).

Singer 27 Tiffany Decal, 1907 vintage. Treadle cabinet came with a 1915 machine.

I'm using this attachement set. It is older than the machine, but I don't have any that are the vintage of the puzzle box sets (they are older). The copy shows a box for a Model 15, I've got one for the 27 so it's a bit different. The numbers on the parts are the same (1-19). This is a reprint of a manual dated 1906

This is the picture in the manual dated 1907 - with a back clamp set (for the Lotus) that is very similar.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 07-31-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Glenn, don't expect things to have improved with my bum knee.
    There are so many amazing sewing machines. I'm so glad these are being rescued!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

JayMuzquiz - about your uncle's machine

The picture you posted is a Singer 66-1 in an Open Side cabinet. I can't tell from the pictures if it is an embossed cabinet or the plain style. I have both - along with two 66-1 machines. If you have the serial number of the machines (near the base of the pillar) that can be used to find the year the machine was made. The decal is officially "Scroll" but it's common name is "Red Eye". It was used between 1902 and 1923. ISMACS.net is the site I get a lot of information from for the older machines. Do you have any of the attachments or a manual with this machine? They can be a bit harder to get. And to the cabinet, does the door have the table support leg and the removable locking drawer and the drawer insert? Often they end up missing on these cabinets. Sorry about the format of this post - my Enter key won't work ( First time posting here from my work computer, and "work" does not appear to like this site LOL!!)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMuzquiz View Post
    Is this the same machine? Its my uncle's machine its been in his house since he was a chilod belong to his mother. What can you tell me about this?
    Jay, what you have there is a Singer 66 Treadle in a parlor cabinet.
    ~Grant~

I am on fire! I finished a Singer 301 today. I got a cradle for it and a cabinet. I hope to get it in the cabinet and do some test sewing on it tomorrow. I'm too beat to do it today.
    ~G~
    Before.
    Name:  IMG_9537.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  748.0 KB

After.
    Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  657.8 KB

Blog Entries
    JayMuzquiz, your machine is a Singer 66 with the Redeye decals. They are in good condition and will clean up beautifully with sewing machine oil. The cabinet is a parlor cabinet. Very nice pair!

1909 66-1 Singer with Lotus decal in an early parlor cabinet.

I bought this from a lady that had owned it for 35 years, and in all that time she never realized the side panel opened. It had come in the house her future husband bought (in Michigan) and she never did a thing with it - but loved it enough to move it to MN with them. They were moving to a condo and had no room, and she was so happy to have someone buy it that also loved the old machines. She had several callers that only wanted the machine - or only wanted the cabinet. I was ecstatic to get both!

This machine came with an original manual and attachment set with box. Though it's glared out in the picture, the box says "for model 66-1" on it, and has the correct number on the side.

This is the full set plus a cording foot.

1922 Singer 66-1 Red Eye - in an open side cabinet (plain).

And inside the cabinet - it is missing a few parts.

For reference - this is the same cabinet in tiger oak with the embossed front.

And inside - with all the parts.

The most common missing part is the top support bar on the outer edge of the door. Next is the locking drawer with the insert.

I'll post the rest of my back clamp attachments separately.

66-1 Back Clamp Attachments

This is the only machine these will fit.

This is my earliest set. Found these at a junk shop in an old candy box for $3. This place is on a major tourist route and the owner said they had been there for a long time.

The Manual is from 1907 for a 27 - so it shows them that fit that machine and are side clamp - but you can tell they are the similar. The tucker and ruffler are significantly different. I am missing the middle size hemmer.

This is the set that came with the 1909 machine.

I do have a almost full set for my 1922 vintage machine, but did not take a picture of them all together.

Four styles of back clamp rufflers. The youngest has the two slot adaptation. BTW- all of these are newer than the puzzle box types. Look carefully at rufflers - they have a detachable under plate - you remove that when you are going to use the shirring plate. I've seen plenty of rufflers missing that part.

Then the tuckers - the three on the right are very similar - the first says 'Patent 1913 on it" the other two do not. All three have a slightly different type set to the numbers.

Next the Hemmer and Binder. The older style had different size hemmers that fit into a Foot - and then Singer went to the adjustable hemmer. The older binder fit into the same foot the hemmers fit into.

With the binders - notice where the screw is located (BTW, the one on the left is the binder foot missing the binder part, you may see this quite often).

The hemmer foot - these two have the same part number and are almost the same. Interesting about the hemmer, in a lot of pictures of sets (including the puzzle box and drawer) it is not shown or listed. However in the instructions it shows the hemmer foot and states it is included along with the set. Maybe they considered that foot similar to the standard foot - came with the machine but not considered a special "attachment"

Quilting and Underbraider foot (remove the guide for under braiding). The one in the front is shown attached to the foot. It's the same as for the hemmers and binders, they all use the same clamping foot. if you get a set that uses a clamping foot- make sure that foot is there, or you can't use any of the other ones. I've seen several that are all there except the one foot that makes them usable.

Shirring plate and underbraider.

The back two look very similar, but do have slight differences in the way the parts are assembled. The front two attach the same way the cloth guide does, the back sets clip to the needle plate. The 15 and 201 have larger needle plates than the 66/99. The vibrating shuttle has an even smaller one, but it looks different enough you wouldn't be confused.

And for fun - these are my extra rufflers.

They are grouped together, and a few in the back are not Singer. A few are Puzzle Box vintage.

That little part in the front is the detachable piece. I have two that are missing that part, but it's not the same style as this one. If the ruffler won't stand up on its own, it's most likely missing that part. Sometimes the spring steel is broken off too.

I'm pretty sure the ruffler was the one part that no one ever lost out of their set LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Macybaby;

Thanks for the fascinating tour of the attachments. Love the machine inspector doing his/her job.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

1923 Singer 66-5* Red Eye side clamp

* this machine came converted to Electric with several other "upgrades" I put it back and added an aftermarket hand crank.

So far, the 1923 manual is the earliest I've seen showing a Red Eye with the side clamp foot - if you've seen an earlier one, I'd love that info.

I need to remove the "Made in China" decals off the hand crank- NOT what I want on my baby! The picture from the seller had them removed and only showed the outer ones.

1928 Singer 66-6 Filigree decal (machine not cleaned yet)

This machine will go in the flat top style library cabinet -currently in the machine shed being restored.

1945 Singer 66-18 Wrinkle finish, "black side"

Black side refers to Singer's indiscriminate use of darkened metal instead of nickel finish. I say "indiscriminate" because there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to when they would be used. You'll find machines with a mix and match of black and nickle parts -even the attachments are this way. It seems they did this at the same time they tried the wrinkle (also called "godzilla) finish, but the two didn't always go together. I am working on converting as much of the nickel on this machine to the black style.

This cabinet has been fully restored (#41 variation) - I use Minwax's antique oil hand applied to get a soft finish similar to the original. This is the only cabinet I have not found a matching stool for yet.

Got a surprise when I opened this up - DH never put the motor and light back on! The foot pedal also has the wrinkle finish. So far, the consensus is that Singer never made a flywheel/bobbin winder assembly with the wrinkle finish. The drawings in the manual show a Wrinkle finish machine with a japanned flywheel.

This machine has the back tack and new style bobbin winder.

This also had a black pressure foot lever and back cover plate and screw.

Singer 66 Side clamp attachments

These are from 1923, 1929 and 1941. By 1945 Singer had changed the standard assortment, removing the tucker and cloth guide and adding the edger and gather foot.

For 23-41 the standard set came 6 attachments - Foot Hemmer (for hemming and felling) Adjustable Hemmer, Binder, Tucker, Ruffler (2 slot), cloth guide with screw. They also came with two screwdrivers, large for the machine and a small one for adjusting the tension on the bobbin case.

The Darning plate is the only "optional" accessory listed in the manual of this age group.

The far left set is my collection of black side attachments

The Adjustable Hemmer - the early version required you to remove the lower part, the later version was changed so you could loosen it and swing it out of the way.

The lower left shows the base foot with the guide removed. Lower right shows the screw loosened and the guide swung out of the way.

Above both shows the difference in the base - notice the notch compared to the one on the right. Also, the screw on the newer version was not meant to be removed (but you can if you really try).

Another difference is the location of the two rivets on the guide - older style has them both on the side end, newer style has them towards the top.

And for fun, some of the black side combinations -even the rivets.

This is the piece (and the large screwdriver) that you will most commonly find partially black - even if the rest of the attachments in the set are nickel. I have more black of this newer style than nickel.

WoW!! Macybaby...... fantastic collection. Everything is in such good condition.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

[QUOTE=Macybaby;6212082]1923 Singer 66-5* Red Eye side clamp
    So far, the 1923 manual is the earliest I've seen showing a Red Eye with the side clamp foot - if you've seen an earlier one, I'd love that info.

According to the "Comprehensive Singer Model list Classes 1-99 at ismacs.net the 66-3 was a hand crank, with rear mounting presser feet. 66-4 ( 1923-??) was a treadle and had side clamping feet. The 66-5is a hand crank.
    So, if any earlier 66's have side clamping feet, they were changed at some time. I hope this helps.

What pretty machines you have!! Thanks for showing them and the attachments and the explanation of the attachments..
    Janis

my Husqvarna

a husqvarna treddle in a lovely cabinet, the cabinet has a fold out drawer in the front
    she can reverse and drop her feed dogs

the attachments and goodies. the box has a list in the bottom of what was included and I have everything but the larger screwdriver and a oil bottle. I ADORE the oilcan

she sews a lovely stitch and ha ball-bearings in her treadle works... so smooth

my Singer 320K

with the extension bed, I know she is a little yellowed, I haven't decided if I want to take of the patina of years, she was "born" 1960 She has some pin marks and will never look pristine. I think she has seen a lot of stitching, she got a new motor from me
    Her name is Astrid, just like it says on her instruction book

undressed, don't giggle, she's shy

her bits and pieces can anyone tell me if the box is original? I have all the disks, one is on the machine. She makes a lovely stitch and her patterns are lovely

Blog Entries
    I never knew they made the 319 in a free arm!!! WOW
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I never knew they made the 319 in a free arm!!! WOW
    see you in the shop

Quote Originally Posted by diajo View Post
    can anyone tell me if the box is original? I have all the disks, one is on the machine. She makes a lovely stitch and her patterns are lovely
    All those attachments look original to me. I got the red box, cam box and all you show, except the hoop.
    Just bought another red box from ebay, because it had a double needle (very excited to try it out!). Pity the book is ripped, but you should be able to copy someone else's front cover (or print it from the pdf manual).
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Diago...WOW. Never say one before. Beautiful. I have to add it to my list.

Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast