Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VSMS............ Attachments Thread >

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
Not sure how to try! The type of foot I have is back clamping. I just need to find a link to someplace that has specific bar measurements so that I can tell what fits what!

So sad on the not fitting Singer.
Perhaps "Damascus Annie" could solve the mystery. She is supposed to be the National Sewing Machine guru. Do an Internet search for her. I think she has a website.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
A black box with more attachments
These are "rotary slot". Any clue as to the application? I have quite the box of these too. Some I wish fit something I owned!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 AM

I found the answer!! Gee, I Googled "rotary attachments" and there it was. There is a special "rotary attachment holder" that allows these gems to fit most domestic machines. Now, I have to search for one that isn't $50+.

And yes, Greist can be used with Singers. YouTube has plenty of examples. Every day I learn something new!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 AM

Yes, Greist attachments can be used on Singers...just not THESE Greist attachments....Singer didn't make a top clamp machine.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM

And... the Reversew 40 I just about freecycled had just the attachment needed to make all of these work. Oh, and I re-found another box of the same types of attachments.

New question, which types of machines can this fit? They appear to be rather rare and worth buying a whole machine at a yard sale just to get one of the holders. Not that anyone on this thread has ever done such a thing...

Last edited by redbugsullivan; 04-03-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 AM

And... the Reversew 40 I just about freecycled had just the attachment needed to make all of these work. Oh, and I re-found another box of the same types of attachments.

New question, which types of machines can this fit? They appear to be rather rare and worth buying a whole machine at a yard sale just to get one of the holders. Not that anyone on this thread has ever done such a thing...
Whoo Hooo Redbugs. Looks as if your persistance has paid off. If you need some serious enabling I am more than willing to enable.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Top clamps.... Standard, National, White, AG Mason, New Home, Domestic, Kenmore, Free-Westinghouse, and Davis...to include machines badged by these companies. I was wrong (again) when I said there were 18 different measurements...there are 12....and what fits one machine may not fit another.
Will look for a chart of the measurements...haven't found it yet.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Sweet Caroline and Charlee, you're all that and a bag of chips!
So, the top clamp rotary attachment holder (what a mouthful) fits on my treadle Alvah (National) which is quite handy because it came with NO attachments besides the straight foot. I am feeling rather silly because both, the Reversew and Alvah, came from the same home, one owner. The bulb is glowing a wee bit brighter now.

Tentative newbie showing: it is a back clamp, low shank that becomes a top clamp with the additional piece. Right?

The end of the bar has a taper milled into it to ensure the foot does not slip down when the back clamp is engaged. So, why is there a hole drilled through the bar above the attachment?

Last edited by redbugsullivan; 04-03-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Do you have a picture of this or a link to a picture.
Thanks,
Cathy

Sweet Caroline and Charlee, you're all that and a bag of chips!
So, the top clamp rotary attachment holder (what a mouthful) fits on my treadle Alvah (National) which is quite handy because it came with NO attachments besides the straight foot. I am feeling rather silly because both, the Reversew and Alvah, came from the same home, one owner. The bulb is glowing a wee bit brighter now.

Tentative newbie showing: it is a back clamp, low shank that becomes a top clamp with the additional piece. Right?

The end of the bar has a taper milled into it to ensure the foot does not slip down when the back clamp is engaged. So, why is there a hole drilled through the bar above the attachment?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM

The hole thru the bar above the attachment (from side to side) is to put a quilting guide thru. There should also be a hole at the same level on the back of the bar for the set screw to hold the guide in place.

This is real timely for me! I spent the last couple days cleaning up an old White 77 Rotary. Mine has all the attachments but was missing the set screw for the quilting guide. I spent hours looking thru all my "parts" machines for a screw that would fit.

And yeah, there are several different sizes of rotary attachments. I also spent a long time going thru a LOT of them to find the ones that would fit the White. I've had this machine for several years...I bought it for the cabinet. I decided yesterday to get it cleaned up & try it out. When I bought it, I ASSUMED that all rotary attachments were interchangeable & dumped them in a box with attachments from 3 or 4 other machines! Now that I've found the ones for the White, guess I need to sort the rest of them out. When I was going thru everything, I found a buttonholer that fits it, too!!!