Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VSMS............ Attachments Thread >

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 AM

Poly...thanks! I think my Singer ruffler might be "stuck", because the * gathers every stitch, but just went and tried the Kenmore ruffler and it straight stitches on the * setting...

Will get William to play with it tonight when we get home from work!!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM

I used my ruffler a lot, yesterday - my ten-year old granddaughter is visiting and I'm making a tiered dress for her using the top part of a t-shirt as the top part of the dress, and a longish skirt gathered in tiers attached to the t-shirt.

If you gather only the top of each tier, your fabric needs grow by almost double for each tier. So for the first tier, I gathered at "6" for the part that attaches to the t-shirt and at "12" for the part that attaches to the next tier. Keeps the fullness from getting crazy.

Then I did two more tiers that are gathered top and bottom on "12," the next to last is gathered only on the top, then the longest bottom tier is gathered only on top, too.

The ruffler has gotten a real workout - and we're going shopping today for t-shirts and fabric for at least two more. :)

Prototype
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233269[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233263.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Charlee, the settings might be different on yours - or maybe like you say, it's just stuck.

People used 3-in-1 oil on everything and I often find attachment sets that are covered in that amber gunk. 8-12 hours' bath in Evaporust and a little spritz of TriFlow should get them clean and running well, again. :)

One thing that's cool about the ruffler is that it's so "customizable" - in addition to setting the depth of the pleats, you can also adjust the distance between pleats by making the stitches longer or shorter to get the exact effect that you want. You may have to loosen the tension a bit if you're using deep pleats and long stitches. :)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Hi Billy, After my MIL died my husband brought home her old treadle. The cabinet I think is a parlor, but is missing some doors (that she thought got in the way & she painted it green) and is in bad shape. The machine needs belts, but I don't know if it would work. Anyway, here are the attachments that were in a drawer & I don't have a clue to what they are...ha. Debbie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233264.jpe   attachment-233265.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Charlee, thanks for a great demo.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:18 AM

Doesn't look like the pictures came through...trying again.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233269.jpe   attachment-233270.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 AM

1,2,3 are all rufflers
4 Not sure, think maybe a picot hemstitcher?
5, 10,13,14,24 are all hemmers that attach to either 15 or 20, not sure which one has the hole for the pegs to slide into...should also have a thumb screw to hold them in.
6 is an underbraider
7 is? Feeddog covers?
8 is a seam guide, should attach to the machine bed with 22, the thumb screw.
Not sure what 11 is
12 is a narrow hemmer
15 and 20...one is a quilting foot, one is a underbraider foot
16 attaches to the quilting foot as a guide
Dunno what 17 is
18 is a bias guide for cutting bias strips
Dunno what 21 or 23 are
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233273.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 AM

it would really help us "dial/up network" unfortunate people to include only 3 pictures per post....that way we can get them all. they just won't load past that many.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Charlee, Thank you so much for taking the time to number & label everything. I've always wondered what these were. I'm going to print your comment out & put with the attachments. Debbie
Originally Posted by Charlee
1,2,3 are all rufflers
4 Not sure, think maybe a picot hemstitcher?
5, 10,13,14,24 are all hemmers that attach to either 15 or 20, not sure which one has the hole for the pegs to slide into...should also have a thumb screw to hold them in.
6 is an underbraider
7 is? Feeddog covers?
8 is a seam guide, should attach to the machine bed with 22, the thumb screw.
Not sure what 11 is
12 is a narrow hemmer
15 and 20...one is a quilting foot, one is a underbraider foot
16 attaches to the quilting foot as a guide
Dunno what 17 is
18 is a bias guide for cutting bias strips
Dunno what 21 or 23 are
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Debbie, that's beautiful! I have the twin of this 27 with "Tiffany" or "gingerbread" decals, though your decals appear to be in better condition than mine.

It looks like you have three slightly different kinds of rufflers across the top - the one on the far right appears to be one of the oldest ones that would have originally come with the 27 and it requires the use of a shirring plate.

On the next row, I think you have an early buttonholer, an underbraider and a shirring plate, then the plates that probably came with the 27 originally. You have a variety of hemmer attachments and I think it may have the "host" hemmer foot there near the quilting bar, but I can't tell for sure.

You have the quilting foot with guide, a narrow hemmer, an elastic puller, a cloth guide and a bias cutting guide that goes on your scissors.

It also looks like you have an interesting little embroidery foot near the clamp on the quilting bar - if so, it will clip onto the toe of the normal foot and feed cord into place to be stitched down.

This is a pdf of the attachments in their "puzzle box" from 1890 - a little earlier than your machine, but some of the attachments will work the same as shown. :)

Singer Attachment Style No. 3 in the puzzle box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233289[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-233283.pdf (1.64 MB, 341 views)