Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VSMS............ Attachments Thread >

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Received a new toy last night, a Greist zigzagger for low-shank, straight stitch machines. I have no instruction book, so I am going on what I found online as to the operation. (If there is one out there, I'd love a copy).

I did have some problems with "tunneling" of the fabric (2 layers of cotton material) that I can't quite figure out, but otherwise it was pretty simple to use. I tried it on 2 pieces of fabric and batting, and this problem resolved.

It attaches directly to the presser bar and hooks around the needle screw (?) just like my modern walking foot. It moves the fabric back and forth to make the zigzag patterns.

It came with 6 cams for different patterns. These attach to the machine with a little snap holder on one side. (Literally is a little black snap, like on clothing). These can be changed without removing the whole thing. The zigzag width is adjustable. You can also disengage the cam and do straight stitch if needed.
Hmmm... I just received one from the person I bought a 301 from recently. However, I haven't even opened the b ox. Now you have made me curious. :shock: :?:
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Charlee, I have always wanted to know how people take a photos and draw on them and post them. How did you do that for the attachments a few pages back? Thanks in advance. Now... to go make a blueberry pie for DH. He has so patiently been waiting for one. :-D
Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Did you know you can enlarge the pictures on here. Hold down your control button then hit + (plus) as many times as you need to to enlarge the pictures. To make them smaller again, hold down your control button and hit - (minus) as many times as you hit the + button and it goes back to normal size.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Charlee, I have always wanted to know how people take a photos and draw on them and post them. How did you do that for the attachments a few pages back? Thanks in advance. Now... to go make a blueberry pie for DH. He has so patiently been waiting for one. :-D
I have an ancient Paint Shop Pro program that I use....I saved her photo to my computer and used the PSP to add the numbers to it, saved it and reloaded it with my take on the attachments... :)
I'm pretty sure that you can do something like this with some of the other programs that are available for free....
Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
The only thing on the box is a faint oval stamped into the wood says, Patented 188?2 or 7? then February xx. Can't really read it. No other markings. Okay, what is all this stuff? I KNOW it doesn't belong to the 201-2. Did White use puzzle boxes?

Thanks! kim

Your puzzle box would have originally come with a Singer long bobbin machine - probably the VS 2 you mentioned - or maybe a 27/28. You know how strange stuff always end up in the drawers of a sewing machine cabinet, some of them even put there by the seamstress. :)

To someone who doesn't know anything about sewing machines, "parts is parts," and that's why you buy Kenmore cabinets with Singer parts and Singers with Free No 5 parts, etc. :)

Your puzzle box has the clip still attached which holds five long bobbins between the prongs. You can see it in the manual I posted earlier in the Style No. 3 booklet.

The weird looking round-bottomed foot is the early quilting foot.

Singer patented this box in 1889, which is the number stamped on the oval on the box no matter what year they were actually made. I think they were made for a relatively short time, but there were a few different collections of accessories that went into them.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Received a new toy last night, a Greist zigzagger for low-shank, straight stitch machines. I have no instruction book, so I am going on what I found online as to the operation. (If there is one out there, I'd love a copy).
This resembles the Singer "Swiss" zig-zagger so I'm attaching a copy of the manual.

If you starch your fabric until it feels like cardstock, you can get these things to make pretty patterns. They're fun to play around with. :)

Singer ''Swiss'' Zig-Zagger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233478[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-233472.pdf (2.49 MB, 159 views)
Old 07-30-2011, 05:08 AM

Someone just told me about this book the other day, and it has been amazingly helpful while I sort through my thrift store goody bag.

The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook:
(http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine...2031069&sr=1-1)

I bought the Kindle edition, downloaded it to my iPad, then sat it on the sewing table beside me while I figured stuff out.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Someone just told me about this book the other day, and it has been amazingly helpful while I sort through my thrift store goody bag.

The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook:
(http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine...2031069&sr=1-1)

I bought the Kindle edition, downloaded it to my iPad, then sat it on the sewing table beside me while I figured stuff out.
It's a good book! I wish she'd have concentrated more on the vintage attachments rather than throwing in the newer ones, but it's been extremely helpful to me!
The other thing that's helped TONS is the yahoo group for Singer Attachments... :) Great group of people, and tons of info!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 AM

Way cool!! Was just checking emails and found this one from the attachments list...April1930 has a vid posted on You tube of the hemstitcher attachment...

I GOTTA get the one I've got working!! :lol: (Well...the machine for it anyway...I'm pretty sure the stitcher works!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBbO1u_h7U
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Way cool!! Was just checking emails and found this one from the attachments list...April1930 has a vid posted on You tube of the hemstitcher attachment...

I GOTTA get the one I've got working!! :lol: (Well...the machine for it anyway...I'm pretty sure the stitcher works!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBbO1u_h7U
me too