Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VSMS............ Attachments Thread >

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Thanks for the Demo Charlee! I need to get to the studio and pull out some of mine and post photos and demo them also.

Keep up the good work!!

Billy
Old 07-30-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
This resembles the Singer "Swiss" zig-zagger so I'm attaching a copy of the manual.

If you starch your fabric until it feels like cardstock, you can get these things to make pretty patterns. They're fun to play around with. :)
Thanks! Downloaded and saved.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Way cool!! Was just checking emails and found this one from the attachments list...April1930 has a vid posted on You tube of the hemstitcher attachment...

I GOTTA get the one I've got working!! :lol: (Well...the machine for it anyway...I'm pretty sure the stitcher works!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBbO1u_h7U
That really was too cool. :) Definitely makes me want to try some sewing besides quilting.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM

The attachments that came with Mamie, the "New Florence" machine... :) We can add "A.G. Mason" to the list of machines that take top clamp attachments....altho a few of these are bed slide attachments....and I'm not sure what some of them are for...like the black ones (steel or iron, but NOT lightweight) that look like seam guides...is that what they are? Or are they a part of the treadle irons? Hmmmmmmmm....

I *think* this is an underbraider...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236005[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235996.jpe   attachment-235997.jpe   attachment-235998.jpe   attachment-235999.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by kwendt
The only thing on the box is a faint oval stamped into the wood says, Patented 188?2 or 7? then February xx.
Your puzzle box would have originally come with a Singer long bobbin machine - probably the VS 2 you mentioned - or maybe a 27/28.

Your puzzle box has the clip still attached which holds five long bobbins between the prongs. You can see it in the manual I posted earlier in the Style No. 3 booklet.

The weird looking round-bottomed foot is the early quilting foot.

Singer patented this box in 1889, which is the number stamped on the oval on the box no matter what year they were actually made. I think they were made for a relatively short time, but there were a few different collections of accessories that went into them.
Charlee and PParrot... thanks for the info. Yes, I see now from the downloaded pics how the long bobbins fit on there. Interesting. I have a 27 and a 127 (w/ejector)... so this should be cool to go with them. The parts that came with them were missing. All of the singers I have are either side clamps or slants. Obviously, these parts will fit (like Charlee said) all the low shank, non-slant machines. Cool. The other bits are for a tension system.... but whose tension, I don't know. Could be white, or early singer. I've started a tackle box kit of bits, pieces and parts for my Singers...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 AM

I picked up a Pfaff 130 at a thrift store earlier this week, and it has two boxes of parts, including the original attachments box. Helpfully, there was also the original parts list in there, so I've been able to ID most of them. Some of them, like the top-attaching parts, I'm certain don't belong to the set.

Two, though, I dunno. I think one is a seam guide, although I've never seen one with two ends. The other one looks like feet I have, but is clearly supposed to fit over the feed dogs ( I think), except it doesn't fit the Pfaff.

Anybody got any clues?

Crud. Apparently I can't add attachments from my iPad.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/...8976212d7e.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/...e0d7215199.jpg
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM

The first photo link is for an edge stitcher attachment. I'd have to see the machine to know how it attaches, but I don't think it's intended to cover the feed dogs.

The second photo link is for the seam guide, you were right there! :)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 AM

The first one is a shirring plate - you would use it with some kinds of rufflers or shirring feet.

The second is a cloth guide - it screws into the bed of the machine to give you the seam allowance that you want it to have. :)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks!

It's the first one I wonder about. It looks like it should fit on the bed (hence the clip things on the edge), but I'm wondering it it doesn't fit into a universal foot gizmo I have. Guess I'll have to wait til I get home to find out!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 PM

I scored a Singer 1949 Blind Hem Stitch attachment this week off of eBay. I got it really cheap...probably because it's not so pretty..a lot of the black paint is gone off of it, but it's otherwise in good shape and moves freely. Did you know you're supposed to lubricate these once in a while? I got the instruction book from ISMACS.