Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VSMS............ Attachments Thread >

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

VSMS............ Attachments Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Oh my word, I think I've found my favorite thread. LOL* I unintentionally began collecting attachments a few years ago when I purchased a Sears and Roebuck Treadle Machine at a yard sale for $25. The cabinet is fairly ornate, it has two drawers to the left, two to the right, and one in the center with a key hole. When I got it home, I discovered the drawers were jam packed with odds and ends, most of them attachments. I have had this machine two or three years and tonight was the first time I'd gone through all of the attachments! Lol* I didn't even know the key was in there, I will have to try that in the morning. I haven't a clue what all these do. I imagine the ones in the black case go to the treadle, but the others must go to another machine, I'm guessing also vintage.

What I'm wondering, is I have a Singer 301a and a 221 - would the attatchments in the brown box fit those machines?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268118.jpe   attachment-268119.jpe   attachment-268120.jpe  
Old 10-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Here are a few more that I acquired at thrift shops. I just saw them and had to have them. I have several vintage machines and am hoping these will fit one of them. I think I'm an attachment junkie. LOL* I bought these on a whim, and feel like I must own them even if I can't use them! :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268121.jpe   attachment-268122.jpe  
Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Here are a few more that I acquired at thrift shops. I just saw them and had to have them. I have several vintage machines and am hoping these will fit one of them. I think I'm an attachment junkie. LOL* I bought these on a whim, and feel like I must own them even if I can't use them! :)
It looks like the ones you bought at a thrift store in the green box will fit your 221. The buttonhole attachment might fit the 221, not sure. A great book to get is The Sewing Machine Attachment Book by Charlene Phillips. Her website is
http://www.thesewbox.com/sewing_atta...ine_store.html
The website has some demo's of using attachments also!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
It looks like the ones you bought at a thrift store in the green box will fit your 221. The buttonhole attachment might fit the 221, not sure. A great book to get is The Sewing Machine Attachment Book by Charlene Phillips. Her website is
http://www.thesewbox.com/sewing_atta...ine_store.html
The website has some demo's of using attachments also!
Thank you for the website, great info! I discovered that most of the attachments fit in my 221 but NOT my 301. The 301 has a slant shank...after some playing around today that is. Figured out the ruffler, WOW! That was fun! Tomorrow I'm hoping to tackle the binder and the buttonholer...
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM

The buttonhole attachments and green box attachments should fit the 221 with no problem, the 301 takes slants...

The brown box attachments are for a White, New Home, Domestic....I can't remember what all takes the top clamps...but I do know that not all top clamps will fit all top clamp machines....there are about 16 different sizes of them...
:)

You do have a Singer shuttle in pic #3... :)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Thank you for all of your information Charlee! That is so very helpful. Especially the buttonholer, I wasn't sure if it would fit ANY of my sewing machines! I'm thrilled to know it will work on my 221.

Believe it or not, I was tooting around in my sewing cupboard and found another box of attachments I didn't even know I had. Mosty hemmers and another ruffler. I will take pictures if I find anything that hasn't already been posted.

Also - the skeleton key did not fit the treadle. :( SO SAD! LOL* There are key holes there, but no key.

OH - and Charlee - that IS a Singer shuttle? I found another one with the old fashioned long bobbin in it with thread on it even. So those are for a Singer and not my Sears and Roebuck? I do have a Singer Treadle, but it doesn't take the long bobbins.

One more question - oiling the ruffler and buttonholer, how often should that be done?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 AM

On the oil question...once a year or so, depending on how much you use them...if you use them a lot, six months or so...

With the "skinny part/shoulder", it looks like a Singer shuttle...that doesn't mean it won't fit your S & R...comapare it to what's in the machine.

Your treadle likely takes a square or triangle key...try a tiny screwdriver to see if that works...if it does, take a flashlight and look inside to see if the works are triangular or square...you can find the keys online... :)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Received a new toy last night, a Greist zigzagger for low-shank, straight stitch machines. I have no instruction book, so I am going on what I found online as to the operation. (If there is one out there, I'd love a copy).

I did have some problems with "tunneling" of the fabric (2 layers of cotton material) that I can't quite figure out, but otherwise it was pretty simple to use. I tried it on 2 pieces of fabric and batting, and this problem resolved.

It attaches directly to the presser bar and hooks around the needle screw (?) just like my modern walking foot. It moves the fabric back and forth to make the zigzag patterns.

It came with 6 cams for different patterns. These attach to the machine with a little snap holder on one side. (Literally is a little black snap, like on clothing). These can be changed without removing the whole thing. The zigzag width is adjustable. You can also disengage the cam and do straight stitch if needed.

I have never seen cams like that, what machine do they go to?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Originally Posted by Bennett
Received a new toy last night, a Greist zigzagger for low-shank, straight stitch machines. I have no instruction book, so I am going on what I found online as to the operation. (If there is one out there, I'd love a copy).

I did have some problems with "tunneling" of the fabric (2 layers of cotton material) that I can't quite figure out, but otherwise it was pretty simple to use. I tried it on 2 pieces of fabric and batting, and this problem resolved.

It attaches directly to the presser bar and hooks around the needle screw (?) just like my modern walking foot. It moves the fabric back and forth to make the zigzag patterns.

It came with 6 cams for different patterns. These attach to the machine with a little snap holder on one side. (Literally is a little black snap, like on clothing). These can be changed without removing the whole thing. The zigzag width is adjustable. You can also disengage the cam and do straight stitch if needed.

I have never seen cams like that, what machine do they go to?

It'll fit any of the low shank, side clamp machines like the Singers... :)
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Yes, I have a question for a walking foot for a Singer 301.
What is a good online site (s) to purchase one and how do you use your walking foot?
If you want to post pics of it, that would be good too.
Thanks