Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds >

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Yes, yard sales are a hit or miss thing here in middle TN too. DH and I try to go out on Friday to our favorite neighborhoods for yard sales, and if we have any luck with them, we'll keep on looking for others. But if the first two or three don't offer anything that catches our interest, we just go somewhere to eat, and come on back home. We have to get back home early on Friday and Saturday now so he can take a nap before heading to the Country Junction. Google it, Hartsville, TN.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:24 PM

There are usually a few estate sales on the weekends here that offer sewing machines, fabric, and notions. Not this past weekend. I was able to walk to a charity group garage sale held in a business parking lot. There I saw a Singer Stylist (774?) in a cabinet for $20 to include the sewing box full of wooden spool thread plus attachments and manual. Well, I sure didn't want the sewing machine, which did look clean, but I was lucky that they were willing to sell me the slant walking foot. I will keep it as a spare for my 301 and hope that it works as good as the walking foot I have now. I wish I would have asked to purchase the 2 black side screwdrivers that were in the attachment box. I didn't want to press my luck getting the walking foot.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Got a Sears Kenmore No. 158.16520 - no cams. It didn't want to turn over till I poured on/in the oil. Teeth are up, but it does not want to sew anything but in place. Does it need a cam to move forward? It is in its cabinet. Bought it for the grand price of $5.-. Help, please
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Did you choose a stitch length above 0?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM

I tried all the stitch setting - didn't make a difference
Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Not a yard sale exactly but I picked up a Singer 28 yesterday. I was following up on a conversation I had with a young man who's father just passed. The dad was into antiques, typewriters, cash registers and old sewing machines. The son said he had a few for me to look at. I promised myself NO tables and NO treadles. Lordy I have enough!

It was a hot day and after getting the poor kid out to root around in the storage searching for machines I really didn't feel I could leave without buying something. I picked this machine (probably the saddest of the lot) but thought it had some nice parts for possible donor and the case could get a re-do. The Singer tin is empty and I also got a small box with extra foot controllers and a couple spare lamps. 10.00
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0248-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0246-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0244-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Banned

nice, Mine was like that. I stripped the rest of the decals off (doing the stuff we say not to do if you want to protect them)

Then I ordered a set of replacement decals from Keelers on Ebay. putting them on this weekend.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
nice, Mine was like that. I stripped the rest of the decals off (doing the stuff we say not to do if you want to protect them)

Then I ordered a set of replacement decals from Keelers on Ebay. putting them on this weekend.
Nice! I would love to see how it turns out. I love the decal pattern and I am starting to get hopeful for this machine. I have finally gotton everything unfrozen so there is hope for it. I'm struggling with a set screw underneath that is pretty stripped out and is fighting me tooth and nail!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 PM

That looks like a lot of work, Christy.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Nice! I would love to see how it turns out.
read all about it here...