Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds >

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

Old 06-09-2015, 01:38 PM

You were not kidding about it being well built and worth saving. Let us know how that angle of seat and leg works out for pedaling. I cannot make it work by pretending to be pedaling in the air. But I am a petite and have my bike seat pushed as far forward as it will go instead.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Could I be taking this "people-powered sewing machine" thing a little too far?

CD in Oklahoma
Blasphemer! We don't need those kind of logical doubts here! What we need is more ridiculously optimistic concepts of how much tinkering we can fit into our all-too-short lives and how many sewing machines we can fit into a house!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM

My little hand crank found on Saturday is a Jones, CS(cylinder shuttle) made ca 1925. The badge WCS stands for Co-operative Wholesale Society. Jones was like Davis they did a lot of badging for companies.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
...WCS stands for Co-operative Wholesale Society...
Good researching Glen.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
Blasphemer! We don't need those kind of logical doubts here!
I chuckled at this. I’m such a hand crank and treadle nut, that I enjoy telling everyone that we even still have a hand crank telephone in our house. Since flip phones and smart phones took over, the only hard-wired telephone in the house has been an early 1900s Kellogg wall phone that houses a (1970s?) touch-tone handset. It’s one of the handset phones that were popular for a while that could be laid down anywhere on a flat surface to disconnect it and didn’t require a cradle or base.

Of course, only the handset inside works, and the oak phone is completely non-operative and just houses the handset, but I love it when it starts ringing while someone is standing next to it! My grandparents bought the Kellogg phone new, so it’s an heirloom.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails kellogg_oak_wallphone_01.jpg   kellogg_oak_wallphone_02.jpg   kellogg_oak_wallphone_03.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 AM

At first I was thinking too bad it isn't all original. Then I realized that without an operator and switchboard to go with it you probably couldn't use it at all.
Rodney
Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM

CD, that's awesome! I would definitely be giving that phone some suspicious looks if it started ringing, LOL.

I wonder if it's even possible to gut it and put modern pieces inside and MAKE it work. Probably, to some degree. But that would be sad, to lose all the original guts. I like your solution.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Banned

those original generators are also worth a pretty penny
Old 06-10-2015, 01:44 PM

Are the photos of a sheep at a show, or a calf - bull-dogging maybe? Gotta love a rodeo! And/or a 4H / Fair exhibit!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
Are the photos of a sheep at a show, or a calf - bull-dogging maybe? Gotta love a rodeo! And/or a 4H / Fair exhibit!
Our three kids competing at a High School Rodeo special event called “Mutton Bustin” (riding bucking sheep), for the little guys not in the HS events back in June of 1984. We’ve displayed those three photos wherever we we’ve lived since that time. A local boot and saddle shop also had a set that they displayed in their shop for years.

Notice in the bottom photo of the little girl with the serious look and her tongue sticking out. She’s riding her sheep in a dress. There was a Tom Sawyer/Becky Thatcher look-alike contest earlier in the day, and she forgot to get her “sheep riding clothes” out for Mom to load before we left the house, so she had to ride in her Becky Thatcher dress (her Mom made that dress for her on a Montgomery Ward Signature URR266 3/4-sized machine). Her bright blue cowgirl shirt with the long white fringe, and her favorite pair of Wrangler jeans were back at home on her bed.

But she wanted to ride anyway, and she made me promise not to turn loose of her. The photo was taken just a split second before I was no longer able to keep up with the sheep and lost my footing. I had told her to hang on tight and not turn loose, and that’s what she did, so me, her, and the sheep all ended up in a pile in the arena, with her dress up over her head and her undies showing. No injuries to any of us. She’s much older now, but I still haven’t heard the last of it....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails kellogg_oak_wallphone_04.jpg   kellogg_oak_wallphone_05.jpg