Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds >

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 AM

No machines, but I ran across a moving sale of a quilter and came home with much of her scrap stash. She was moving to Hawaii (lucky lady!) so she sold it totes and all. All for $45!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521756[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150523_151856.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 AM

That's my problem. I'm running out of room to put them.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
No machines, but I ran across a moving sale of a quilter and came home with much of her scrap stash. She was moving to Hawaii (lucky lady!) so she sold it totes and all. All for $45!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521756[/ATTACH]
Niiice! That was a great find!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:34 PM

This is my yard sale find this Sat. It says made in England, I think it may be a Jones.[ATTACH=CONFIG]521781[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails english-hc-002.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Ooooh Glenn You found a nice one! I would be so pleased to find a hand crank in my area. We are besieged with 60's and 70's Kenmores!

I've seen the Jones' with that CS on the face. I think you may be right!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Really nice white. Love that age.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM

Yesterday at a thrift store I saw a nice, simple Japanese made Universal with zig-zag, no fancy stitches to complicate things. But also no bobbin case. I passed. It's sad when small but very important parts go missing.

I did find some sturdy old tools for $5 and three big storage tubs for $2.50 each to keep my rag yarns in, so that was great. You can never have too many good tools and water-resistant storage options!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
... You can never have too many good tools and water-resistant storage options!
If I bring anything else home it had better be water resistant... because it ( and me ) will be living at the curb.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
If I bring anything else home it had better be water resistant... because it ( and me ) will be living at the curb.
I hear ya. I’m about in the same boat.

I passed up a nice Outdoor People-powered Sewing Machine Power Unit in one of the 30 yardsales that we went to last weekend (area-wide yardsale event), and got to thinking about it again today. So, I called the folks that offered it Saturday to see if they had sold it (I know them because I bought a Singer 31-15 in a Power Stand from them back in 2013). Nope, but their daughter had said she would take it to her farm house and put it on the front porch in case she took a notion to give it a spin from time to time. Mom said to give her a few minutes to call the daughter to see if she really wanted it. She called back and said her daughter immediately said to sell it. I can’t say that I blame her, and I think that I’ve made a new friend that doesn’t even know me.

So I now have a heavy duty stationary bicycle to convert to a sewing machine motor. It was made out of a bicycle and other parts by a 300+ pound aircraft mechanic and handyman that got desperate to lose some weight (I asked: he didn’t make it happen), so it is very well-built. It was left setting out in his yard when he went to a nursing home, and eventually given to the new owners as a conversation piece. It has set in their yard for several years, and they finally ran out of conversation about it and decided to get rid of it. My wife is simply thrilled with my $10 purchase (tongue-in-cheek). The price tag was $10 for the whole thing, or $40 for the antique implement seat mounted on it. I got a kick out of that.

Now, all I have to do is to figure out the speed reduction/coupling method to get it to actually drive a sewing machine. This should be fun. Just what I needed; another project. Could I be taking this "people-powered sewing machine" thing a little too far?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine585b_01.jpg   machine585b_02.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Looking at the shape of the frame and handle bars I can't help but think there's a very sad old bicycle person out there.
Kind of like when we see an old sewing machine converted into a tractor.
Should be a fun project for you anyway CD.

No new yard sale finds for me but I did stop off at a Tacoma Goodwill on the way home from a Dr appointment today to get my stitches pulled.
They had a few older machines there. They had an old Japanese "Elgin" branded machine complete with cams, a Singer model 603 "Auto-Reel" (apparently Singer hadn't come up with "Touch & Sew" yet) and an older Riccar that looked like a nicely made machine. The cams loaded from the front hidden behind the "Riccar" logo on that one.
All three were tempting but I didn't have enough cash for any of them. I did walk out with a nice piece of black & white woven plaid fabric made out of heavy cotton though.
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 06-09-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: really bad grammar