Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds >

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Scored a Green Singer 185J in a nice cabinet for $15 at the Habitat ReStore. Got it home, oiled the snot out of it and bless its heart, it sews like a dream. Got to love it. According to the Singer website, it was released for sale in 1962.
Attached Thumbnails singer-185j.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltFaerie; 06-06-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:15 AM

Hey! I've seen that picture this week!

Still a good score.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Probably because you are part of the Vintage Sewing Machines Group on Facebook. I was so proud of myself that I have been bragging all over the place. :-p
Old 06-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Nice deal! So cute!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Nice! What is the squiggly one for? I've seen it in photos of a puzzle box.
Looks like a fancy turnscrew (screwdriver) to me. I've seen similar ones in the tool kits of old gunsmiths.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned

Cathy (Mizkaki) suspects that this was a common metal shop project....
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Have a portable one with plastic case which has a messed up bottom. Sews great though. Make be one that I sell...

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie View Post
Scored a Green Singer 185J in a nice cabinet for $15 at the Habitat ReStore. Got it home, oiled the snot out of it and bless its heart, it sews like a dream. Got to love it. According to the Singer website, it was released for sale in 1962.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:49 PM

I haven’t posted for a while because I’ve had my attention turned to motorcycles and lawn mowers. I’m having trouble getting the wife’s motorcycle to fire properly on both cylinders at low RPM. It fires just fine at high rpm, but my wife doesn’t blast down the street 3/4 throttle when she rides it back and forth to the shop, so I’m going to have to find the solution before she’ll ride it. Maybe I have a valve opening too soon before the plug fires. By the sound of the loud backfiring going on in the exhaust system, I’m pretty sure that I’m getting fuel to the cylinder. She doesn’t mind an occasional backfire, but day after day of loud bangs going and coming to the shop would probably get folks to start talking.....

And with the lawn mower, I’ve had to mow twice in a little over a week, and I’m out of practice. With the major drought going on for the past 3-4 years, I have gotten by the last couple of summers just mowing 3 times all summer. Recent rains have caused the lawn weeds to go ballistic. Plus, I badly need new tires on my tractor. I’ve been telling friends that “I mow NASCAR style”......every round or two, I have to come into the pit and air my tires back up, and then it’s get back out there and run hard until I need air again......

....Back on thread, I picked up some new toys at a local auction yesterday, two Singer treadles and a Singer portable.

One is a fancy 7-drawer treadle that had a Singer 227M (MB523759) electric machine in it. It’s the first 227 that I’ve come across, so it’ll have to go into my personal collection. It’s a two-tone tan “modernized” model 15 straight stitch machine made in Monza Italy. The fancy treadle cabinet is in very good condition, with the only problems that I’ve found so far is a missing belt de-railer and its return spring, and the drip shield is missing. Otherwise, it’s in great condition.

A plain 5-drawer treadle that had a Canadian Singer 15-90 (JC213486) in it, missing all of the electrical components (has disc wheel) and a previous owner has sealed off the center drawer (I don’t know if it was a tip-out or slide-out) by nailing the drawer panel to the cabinet. I see this every once in a while when someone has put a machine into a treadle that the cabinet wasn’t designed to accommodate. Removing the drawer cubby-hole allows room for a taller machine to fold down into the cabinet. This treadle cabinet has flat wheels from being dragged around, and the drip shield is wired together to secure it, but otherwise it’s in fairly good condition.

The portable is an 1889 Singer 28-1 (9655305) handcrank in an early bentwood (rounded top with ribs) case. The rose decals are faint but decent, and mechanically, everything looks fine so far. I tipped the machine up in its base, and discovered a generous amount of attachments hidden beneath, including an attachment User Manual. And the base has the holes in it for a treadle belt to run through if the machine and base is set into a “convertible” treadle cabinet. The case top is in wonderful condition. I’m still “on the fence” at whether this one is going into my personal collection or off to find a new home. I sure like it, but I already have a nice 1910 28K2 handcrank in the squared-off case that works just fine.

All seven drawers of the fancy cabinet were full of bits and bobs, including a nice set of Wiss Pinking shears. All machines have bobbin cases and/or shuttles and bobbins, and no missing parts. Total cost: $132.50 for all of the sewing machines and goodies, plus a 30-mile out and back trip in the pickup. I’m a happy camper.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-22-2014, 01:57 PM

There was an ad for a garage sale this weekend listing 2 featherweight Singers! I, being low on funds and having more machines than room already, sadly, reluctantly, passed. I couldn't even trust myself to do a drive-by... lol!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Stopped at an estate yard sale last weekend. Found a Touch and Sew Golden 750 for $15. Had a monogrammer and all the cams. Was a little stiff but some oil loosened her up. While cleaning her up a bit the feed dogs started to crumble. Ha Ha was the rubber one. and there was another shaft collar that broke and fell apart when I touched it LOL but I've priced the parts and I should be able to replace both for about $15 so $30 total isn't bad. Haven't been able to check out how she sews yet with the feed dogs being useless, but she sounds good at least.